Spacing Problem on Hasselblad Negatives

a._branson

<p>I've been having a problem with my Hasselblad 500 C/M. I bought the camera about 2 years ago from KEH. The last roll I shot, I got only 7 exposures on the roll of 120 film. I didn't notice there was a problem until I developed the film and saw that the spacing between each image was about 1 to 1.5 inches, much greater than the spacing I had previously been getting with this particular camera and back. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what caused this, and is this a problem with the camera or the back (I am guessing the latter?). At this point, would your advice be to take the entire camera and back in for a CLE? My final question is whether lenses, like the camera and back, require a CLE every 12 months? </p>

<p>I know people will disagree with this. I have been using Hasselblads from1980 until now. I have had one camera back with spacing problems about 12 years ago, sent it to Hasselbad USA, no problems after that.<br>

I have had to replace light seals in all of my backs several times over the years. But that is all the service any thing has ever needed. But using the equipment I think helps,any thing that sets without use gives more problems.</p>

<p>You mileage may vary.</p>

<p>I'm interested in what the "E" means in CLE. Clean Lube Adjust (CLA) is what I know. But I had a back that did that once (it was ancient, and not well cared for by a previous owner). I bought it only because it was very cheap. I think I was getting about 10 frames, instead of 12. I did a little CLA of my own and it worked fine. Mine was just dirty. The other thing is there is a nylon strip in the back that can get dented and worn. When I cleaned up mine, I used the manual located here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/24376109/Hasselblad-Film-Magazines-Service-Manual. It was pretty easy.</p>

<p>When you take them apart, you will see it is very much a mechanical operation, and everything has to move right. If you think you have the skills, you might give it a try. Otherwise, have a CLA done. I think I pay $75 for an overhaul.</p>

<p>Just to be sure, you DO wind the film to the first exposure, right? Not just until the Start writing on the paper backing is in place.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Michael, CLA is what I meant, not CLE...proof that it's probably time for one! I will send the camera and backs to a repair shop, but I just thought it was odd that I had been getting 11 shots per roll of film, and then all of a sudden the spacing of my last roll changed and I got 7 shots. I've had a few very minor light leaks as well, so at this point it's time for a CLA. </p>