Do I need a Starter for Kodak's color print developer?

<p>According to Kodak's Technical Pub's, The Ektacolor RA Developer Replenisher RT (10 litre size) is recommended for tray and rotary development, but it seems you have to use a Starter. On the other hand the RA developer in the 1 gallon size doesn't need the starter, but it's not recommended for the applications. Anyone having experience with this? <strong> </strong></p>

<p><strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>The 10 litre kit works fine at 20C/68F without a starter for tray and drum processing. There is a slight colour shift, but it is so consistent you can mix up a new batch a few months later, expose another print at the same magnification, exposure and filter settings and not be able to tell which print was done when after drying. I have no experience with using either at book temperature. Have a browse around apug.org for info and recommendations as well as well.</p>

<p>You do not need a started, but make sure you dilute the Replenisher as per the directions on the starter. I almost always use the starter, but before I bought the jug it worked fine without it.</p>

<p>I disagree. Use the starter. It will last you nigh near forever. WithOUT it, how are you supposed to replenish the solution? You can't. . . You'd need to have hyper-concentrated replenisher if you're using straight replenisher as a "working solution." I hope you aren't just dumping it all down the drain and using one-shot, because that is a huge waste of your money!</p>

• 6 years later...
<p>Dear collegues, I know this thread is long gone, but I need to clarify a question and it looks like I might have a chance here: we have a colex ra4 processor which we've been using (at school) for the past 10 years to teach color printing. We use Kodak Ektacolor PRIME SP Developer Replenisher SP Lorr, which we always mix (when he first fill the tank) with the Kodak Ektacolor PRIME SP Developer starter SP Lorr. This year, we don't have starter and I'm hesitant about filling the developer tank without it. Can anyone give any suggestion on what I should do? Thanks</p>

• 3 years later...

I found this thread whilst looking for pretty much the same subject.

Depending on whereabouts in the world you are reading this, you could well be in a state of Lockdown. That leaves you with a great opportunity to get in the darkroom if you are working from home; or even more time if you are home but not working.

I have got some Kodak Ektacolor (RA-4) chemicals that started out as a 4x5L Developer Replenisher RT/LU kit. I mix them by the litre and store them in smaller bottles for use with my manual tube processing.

The problem is that I have run out of Starter. The only way to get a new bottle would be online mail order (assuming my stockist has any), for which the delivery charges would be half the cost of the bottle of Starter added on top.

I have read previously what the existence of this thread appears to confirm: it is possible to use the chemicals without the Starter. Simply mix the chemicals following the instructions but miss out adding the Starter and just put the equivalent amount of water in instead.

So that looks like no issue as I can start from scratch with a batch of chemicals mixed without Starter, develop the test strip prints, adjust the colour by analysing the test strips and then print full prints.

Ordinarily with the chemicals mixed including a Starter, they can be reused a number of times depending on the size of the prints following the guidelines on the Kodak Alaris (J39) technical notes.

So what I really need to know is whether anyone can advise about how many times the Starter-less chemicals can be reused; and how long they are likely to keep in tightly capped bottles (days or weeks). In both cases, the answer may well be that absence of the Starter makes no difference to capacity or longevity, which would be good news.

As well as I know it, the purpose of the starter is to get it seasoned.

In normal use, there is an equilibrium between development products added as prints

get processed, and subtracted as replenisher is added, or as carry over to the next step.

That is, it makes new chemicals look like used.

If the replenishment rate is correct, you should go on forever without needing starter,

unless you dump everything and start over.

There was a question not so long ago, about starter for C-41.

-- glen