Canon 5D Mark II or 7D?

j_emery

If you can afford it buy both and use the 7D as a backup to the 5D Mk II. About 5 years ago that was the concensus of many people on this site. I have the 5D Mk 1 and use the 30D as a backup. I would love to upgrade, but there are more important things on my agenda. Anyway, by the time I can afford both cameras, they will probably come out with a 5D Mk III and a 8D, or maybe a 7D Mk II.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I just did a shoot of an Indian woman (whose skin tones are not those of a northern European) in which the first shots were done with a 5D II with the ISO inadvertently set on 12,800. The results are more than passable at that ISO setting:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/11111692&size=lg</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/11111630&size=lg</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/11110290&size=lg</p>

<p>The best shots of the day in terms of color accuracy of skin tones, however, were gotten at lower ISO with the 50D, which is not quite as good as the 7D in terms of image quality:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/11111071</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/11119691&size=lg</p>

<p>I did not shoot the 5D II that day at normal ISO settings. In general, I prefer the results from the 5D II, precisely because it does give good results with poor lighting and high ISO. The 5D II is also remarkably versatile in terms of lighting conditions, capable of getting shots that can be quite difficult with other cameras in its price range:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/11060870&size=lg</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/10232031</p>

<p>Image quality is hardly the only factor to consider, however. If one shoots birds or does astrophotography or anything where magnification comes into play, the 50D (or the 7D) is going to do a better job:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/10263531</p>

<p>I shoot wide on the 5D II and in most situations in which I do not need the extra magnification of the 50D.</p>

<p>Make no mistake, however: the cropped sensor cameras are very serous cameras. One has to work a bit harder to get very shallow depth of field with a cropped sensor camera, but in many situations the low light and shallow DOF advantages of full-frame cameras are negated by other considerations. I do crop a lot, however, and so I like having all of those megapixels that the 5D II gives.</p>

<p>Do give some thought to the lenses that you will need if you are going to get the best results from either. That is where the money issues really come into play.</p>

<p>Shooting wide? I personally prefer the 5D II, if you can afford the lenses. The 17-40 on the 5D II might not be quite good enough. One might need something like the EF 24mm f/1.4L Mark II, which will set you back $1700 right now at B&H. Shooting wider yet might get even more expensive. I have seen some fine results from cropped sensor cameras (7D, 50D) with much less expensive glass.</p>

<p>There are some serious photographers doing very good work with both of them. Sooner or later you will probably want both the full-frame and the cropped sensor cameras. In the meantime, be happy with either.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p> </p>

<p>We (my partner and I) used both, 7d (5 months) and 5dmkII (1 year) and are going to sell the 7d. We find while in focus the shots are not really sharp (my partner says it sucks). Exposure we feel is volnurable, you cannot easy underexpose with it, and therefore dark or darker parts of images loose detail relatively fast.<br>

If you go to use the 7d you best expose to the right to get proper results. i personally think the real iso is 1/3 to i/2 stop lower than given. At first we really loved the handling of the 7d, shooting with it is a real pleasure, like being in a sports car! But the results simply cannot convince us. Please don't feel offended if you're happy with the 7d, these are just OUR experiences (we may have a bad copy), we evaluated for ourselves and we decided to change. Our advice will be clear now :-)<br>

If you shoot mainly landscapes whats you're problem with AF? I find it at the 5dmkII very accurate, though not as sporty as the 7d.</p>

>>> I guess it depends on what we call street photos, link to what I call street, ...

The first link doesn't feel like street photography to me; appears to be a collection of photos of homeless/not-well people. But then of course that's subjective. The

second link to the video, of course not, that's event photography...

>>> Point a camera at a person that does not want his photo taken and I don't think your attitude makes a heck of a difference

to that person.

If you believe that, then it makes no difference what size camera you use, point-n-shoot or dSLR. OTOH, when I'm shooting on

the street, I don't go out constrained with that preconceived notion. I'm pretty direct when I shoot. Out in the open, not sneaking

shots. Issues are rare. If asked I just tell people what I'm doing and am honest about it. That speaks to attitude and behavior.

As an aside, when I approach strangers on the street for street portraits (not street photography, btw) it's rare when I'm refused.

All things considered, I'd much rather have a larger camera - it's my belief it lets people know you're serious rather than a

tourist. Another pnet photographer said a couple years ago, (paraphrased) "shooting with a large camera on the street lets

people know you're on duty."

www.citysnaps.net

<blockquote>

<p>If you believe that, then it makes no difference what size camera you use, point-n-shoot or dSLR. OTOH, when I'm shooting on the street, I don't go out constrained with that preconceived notion. I'm pretty direct when I shoot. Out in the open, not sneaking shots. Issues are rare. If asked I just tell people what I'm doing and am honest about it. That speaks to attitude and behavior</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are correct about being subjective, I would consider what you do street portraits because you are interrupting the moment and have changed the image to what you want to compose, rather than what was occurring. I do not consider that street photography, again it subjective. What makes you think I don't ask people for permission when I want to compose? If want to be picky I noticed that some of the people were not asked by the look in their faces and also that some were taken at waist level. I will repeat again the smaller the camera the less attention it will garner in capturing life, try a small camera and then walk around with a 1D series camera and a white lens attached to it.</p>

>>> I would consider what you do street portraits because you are interrupting the moment and have changed the image to what you

want to compose, rather than what was occurring. I do not consider that street photography, again it subjective. <P>

No, that is not true. I do both. And probably shoot 4X as many candid street photos than street portraits. Perhaps you're not clear

with respect to the differences? These are <a href= "http://www.citysnaps.net/blog/?page_id=1291">street photos</a>. These are <a

href= "http://www.citysnaps.net/blog/?page_id=4839">street portraits</a>.<P>

>>> If want to be picky I noticed that some of the people were not asked by the look in their faces and also that some were taken at

waist level.<P>

Again, not true. I always engage (and usually write about/interview on my blog) subjects in street portraits. Also, for vertical portraits, I

often kneel down to make subjects look a little more "heroic." I also do that for some candids so that shots don't look like they were

taken at the same height, resulting in a monotonous look.<P>

>>> What makes you think I don't ask people for permission when I want to compose?<P>

Who said that? I have no idea what you do.<P>

>>> I will repeat again the smaller the camera the less attention it will garner in capturing life, try a small camera and then walk

around with a 1D series camera and a white lens attached to it.<P>

And I will repeat again, it makes no difference, and that's from actually using a small point and shoot vs a dSLR. What makes a huge difference is your behavior and attitude. I prefer a dSLR. With respect to

"white lenses," I can't speak to that with any experience. With those focal lengths, that's sniping, not good SP.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>A lot of you are saying 5dmk2 for the OP's purposes.<br>

Curious, when would you not recommend the best?<br>

I was the OP of the recent 70-200 w/ or w/o 85mm thread....I got a lot of folks telling me to cough up for the 70-200mm 2.8<br>

Not all of us have that kind of money. I was able to stretch for the 70-200mm f/4 is over the non is, but not without significant cost and re planning of my finances.<br>

I think a simple, "for you, get the better one" is a little to vague. Sometimes one needs to see why they need to spend the extra buck.<br>

I could save up for the 5dmkII, but for now, I think I'm happier just planning and saving for a 7d or its equivalent. We'll see what the next generation brings!</p>

<p> <br>

<p dir="ltr">If the OP is still around and is still interested in more replies, my choice was to go APS. I preferred the 40D over the 5D and the 7D over the 5D2. I have many reasons to choose them: More lens choices (better in some cases), much faster AF in the peripheral AF points, better AF coverage, more features in some cases (e.g. I really like the electronic level), better in others (40D has LV and dust removal system, 5D does not) etc. IQ? Well, it is good enough for an amateur like me.</p>

<p dir="ltr">HTH.</p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p></p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>My wife is offering to get me a new camera on my birthday in December.<br>

I shoot more landscapes and street shots than anything else. I am trying to do portrait photography right now, and honestly because of all you guys have said, please ignore the comment I made about money earlier, wife is willing to allow the 5dii.<br>

Unless the 5diii comes out before then, guess what I'm getting?</p>