AT-1 at the Races

<p>I posted on last week's <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00WZ1F">weekend thread </a>that I might be going to the Grand Am races at Lime Rock with the Canon AT-1 that I picked up at a thrift store a couple of months ago, and I did. So here are the results.</p>

<p>My primary lens was a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 with 2x telextender. I noted in my <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00WSUZ">original thread</a> on this camera that I wanted to get a Canon 24mm lens for it, and I did indeed score one for $43, but it did not arrive until the day after this outing. So I had to settle for a Vivitar T4 24mm, which had to be used in stop-down mode because my T4-Canon adapter is for older Canon lenses and the lens won't mate with my TX-FD adapter. (Opinions differ on whether there ever was a T4-FD adapter.)</p>

<div>00Wb8O-249027584.jpg.d8660dcee73e5537e74fdf5ba9cde7ba.jpg</div>

<p>I brought my son along for his first car race, and it was primarily a day out for the two of us, thus I couldn't walk around the track searching for photo spots or carry as large a kit as I might usually. It was fun just to sit in our spot and shoot the cars.</p>

<div>00Wb8S-249029584.jpg.e5a7545ea146d8f54682e3783bfed85a.jpg</div>

<p>The camera handled well. The breech mount lenses are a real pain to change quickly. My new Canon 24mm has the bayonet type mount and I can see that that is a lot better.</p>

<p>Note the red streaks from light leaks on this shot. There had been no leaks on the first couple rolls I shot with this camera, but sometimes they are just waiting for the right conditions to show themselves. I should know by now that a light seal change should be automatic when I get a new vintage camera. That has been remedied.</p><div>00Wb8d-249029684.jpg.46ec656170acee20ed538c3f0e9cef21.jpg</div>

<p>Next weekend I'm off to a World War II airshow, this time with Minolta equipment I think. The seals on my recently acquired XE-5 looked good through the first couple of rolls, but I'm not taking any chances this time -- they're getting changed!</p>

<p>Very cool.</p>

<p>I have a couple of the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm, one in Nikon mount and another with the Qdos 3-D effect in a Contax/Yashica mount. Plus, another one that got mildew in it that was the proximate cause of my going on eBay in the first place.... :(<br>

Do you know which version of the lens you have (some information at <a href="http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm">link</a> and possibly at <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm">link</a>)?</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments, guys! </p>

<p>JDM, I researched the 70-210 before bidding to make sure it was one of the well-regarded ones. Mine is the Tokina-made one which is called a Version 2 by the (I can't believe I'm about to type this) Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom buffs. From what I can tell, it is as good as folks say.</p>

<p>Andy, I can't compare this to other Canons because it is the only Canon film SLR I've owned. The AT-1 is basically the same as an AE-1 but a budget version with the auto mode deleted; it's just metered manual. Generally I find it comfortable and well made, and I like the match-needle metering and the DOF preview. My main beef about its operation is that the shutter speed dial, located on the right edge around the wind crank, is much too easy to turn unintentionally when handling and operating the camera. It was a total impulse purchase but well worth the $15.</p>

<div>00WbFh-249105684.jpg.7c14ecb0d17ec396b771dbbc13164a15.jpg</div>

<p>Nice action shots, August. I consistently use a Vivitar 28-210 f/3.5-5.6 Macro on My AE-1, and despite the often-expressed negative opinions of these Vivitar "superzooms" I find it a perfectly adequate performer and a great "walkabout" lens. Goodness knows who made <em>that </em>one for Vivitar. With the AT-1 you get all the Canon quality of that era, with less to go wrong...I'm looking forward to the airshow pics!</p>