Need help getting rid of moire on bride's veil

<p>Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of moire on a bride's veil? I've tried several methods to no avail, and would love to hear any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any input. The link to the full resolution photo is <a href="http://www.stuartmeyerphotography.com/Moire-01.jpg">http://www.stuartmeyerphotography.com/Moire-01.jpg</a>. -Stuart</p>

Believe me. Considering the venue and restrictions they placed on where I could shoot, and the fact that it was raining

outside, that was good. Honestly, I haven't seen too many images come out of that place that looked even that nice. Just

think 70's dark decor, and it was never nice for back then. I'll keep it nameless lest Google indexes these comments and I

get into trouble.

<p>Back to the OP's original question:</p>

<p>The best solution I've *ever* seen to moire patters in luminosity (ie, not just color) was presented by Sarah Fox here:<br>

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00W8gC<br>

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00W94r (a few posts to the other thread got stuck in this side thread by mistake).</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Another approach (albeit not so elegant as Sarah's ) is to "go wild" with the patch tool in the moire area: Make a copy of the original. Select a dark moire band, and then with the patch tool activated, pull the patch selection to a non-moire area. Repeat until you've done this several times on each moire band. Decrease the opacity of the patched layer to about 80%.</p>

<p>This approach sounds like it would be tedious, but, in reality, only takes a few minutes. It took me vastly more time to crop, composite the b4 and after versions, resize for photo.net posting, and resharpen than it did to perform the moire fix.</p>

<p>Tom M.</p><div>00Wbrx-249465584.jpg.53cb2176015388f78a882170a209fe0f.jpg</div>

<p>2 cents worth, The best is avoid alias (moire) in the first place. IMHO, I would have add a soft focus filter or use a soft focus lens for this one. It is hard to get rid of the aliased patern after the fact (once moire patterns are formed). Too much details can be throw out if a simple blur filter is used. A better process is break down the image into multiple color layers. Filter and/or alter the color layers that has moired patterns. Use masks to perserve some details. And recombined all the color layers to form the color image. Quick sample below use 6 color layers seperation, blur, contrast adjust, 2 masks and 2 recombine. The editor used was Picture Window Pro. </p><div>00WbsO-249467584.jpg.8749ee099548423b2a6dea6d257e323a.jpg</div>

<p>Tommy - Nice job. I'm not sure of all the details of your process, but I suspect it is similar to Sarah's. IMHO, if one has enough time (or is being paid enough ;-) ), the best approach is a combination, i.e., minimize the moire by appropriate mixing of channels (... I used HSL), followed by a touch-up with the patch tool. Top it off with a bit of dodging and levels and with 3 more dollars, you can buy a cup of coffee. ;-)</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>PS - I might have gone overboard a bit with the levels. The darks got a bit too dark.</p><div>00WbtX-249477584.jpg.74fa3de7836f551cb81effb5b3a684e1.jpg</div>

<p>Off topic but your photo is far better than any wedding photo that <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=251971">Steve Levine</a> has uploaded into his portfolio here. Despite the above issue you seek to resolve, it is a very nice photo that very much captures her delicacy and beauty.</p>

<p>@William S - I didn't compare the OP's photo to anyone else's, but, like you, I've got absolutely no problems with it. It's a very, very nice shot. (...which I forgot to mention earlier). While my last tweak of it got rid of the moire, even the slight extra contrast that I tried reduced the delicacy that William S mentioned. Again, very good shot!</p>

<p>Tom M. </p>

<p>@ Tom M<br>

I only compared the above photo to Steve L as Steve posted a negative critique to an image where the OP was only requesting help with the veil issue.</p>

<p>BTW Tom the touch up you did is very nice. And because of this tread I have learned something new in photoshop. So thank you all for the posts, you just made me a better photo editor.</p>

Thanks for all the input. I grabbed onto the first suggestion from Dieter due to time constraints and made it work using David Beaman's Ethereal glow plus some healing and cloning. What I ended up with was http://www.stuartmeyerphotography.com/Cara-0188-8x10.jpg. The other methods look to give better results, so I tried them on a rough basis and they do rock. Your responses comprehensively covered the gamut of solutions. You guys are amazing. Thanks again for all the help. Stuart

• 2 weeks later...