A good tripod for a trip?

<p>Hi friends: I am traveling a lot (I live in Venezuela). Sometimes I go to USA and sometimes to Europe. I always carry my Nikon D700 and the longest lens I could bring would be my 70-200mm 2.8 Nikon. I have missed a lot of pictures because a did not take a tripo with me. But I am worried about the size and weight of the tripod and the airports security.<br>

Could you tell me a good tripod I could carry easily in planes or even inside my suitcase but that is also sturdy enough to get good pictures. Thanks a lot</p>

<p>There are lots of tripods and only you can answer what compromises in weight, cost, <em>height</em>, and so on you are willing to accept. You can get lightweight cheap tripods for $35 (e.g, the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Professional-Photo-Video-Tripod/dp/B0002XQDSS">Opteka</a>, a virtually disposable tripod), and you can spend thousands on fancier ones.</p>

<p>However, just pack the tripod in your luggage and get it out once you get there. Perhaps especially if the tripod legs have metal spikes under the rubber.</p>

<p>You can usually buy more underwear when you get to your destination, and think how exotic your German underwear will look back in Venezuela to your intimate friends. (key phrase: "Haben Sie etwas außerhalb des schwartzen Farbspektrums?)</p>

<p>JDM, you bring back memories of looking for underwear in Zurich.</p>

<p>Carlos, what's your budget? The Benro Travel Angel series is very good. I got a Tiltall Traveler (don't know if they sell in Venezuela; in the US it's only sold at Adorama) and am quite pleased, especially considering the price. </p>

<p>Carlos - why not just buy the tripod in the USA, use it, and then sell it before returning to Venezuela? Assuming you don't have additional plane trips in the interim, then you don't have an airport security issue.</p>

<p>How much of an object is money? If it's not too big a deal, consider carbon fibre. </p>

<p>I've carried an aluminum Manfrotto 190 everywhere — by that I mean throughout S. America, S.E. Asia, and up countless mountains in Western Canada and Yukon. I finally managed to break it this spring and today ordered a replacement in carbon fibre.</p>

<p>Some of the smaller ones are probably OK, but I don't mind the weight — compared to the nice rock steady support for night photography.</p>

<p>I digress: the reason I was replying was to say that the 190 (full size) would collapse enough to fit in my regular luggage. it was a 3-piecer. There are also 4-piece collapsible legs. They collapse even shorter. They take more time to set up.</p>

<p>I have a lightweight travel version from Manfrotto, which is sturdy and solid enough to hold the same camera equipment that you have. It fits nicely into its own shoulder bag, and does not take either much weight or space in your suitcase. I think it's a 7302YB, which includes a head already. You can also easily turn around the centre column, to position the camera downward.<br>

If it gets too windy, though, be prepared to hang your photo bag on it to stabilize a bit.</p>

I use a Manfrotto 190 carbon fibre tripod for travelling. I use the 190 with a 40D with a 70-200 2.8 IS . As Monika mentions you can always hang some weight from the tripod to steady it if need be. The tripod fits in a standard suitcase. The tripod is the only piece of camera gear which I put in checked baggages as I imagine airport security would have a problem with it in carry-on. If in doubt inquire with the airline and / or airport.

<p>Thanks a lot to all for your answers. Yes, I would like a tripod that fits in my suitcase. I also want to keep it for future trips. Money is not a use. I am not a rich man though :-( I am goint to see Manfrotto 190 carbon fibre.</p>

<p>I prefer a Manfrotto 055 for the height. Mine has three sections to the legs and still fits inside a suitcase. I even managed to stay under the weight limit for a single case, too, and that was without skimping on the rest of my luggage. </p>

<p>Good tripods are expensive, regardless of size and capacity. Your first tripod should be purchased with performance in mind, rather than portability alone, one that will hold the camera steady under a wide variety of conditions, at a comfortable height. A tripod which is small and light enough to fit in carry-on probably won't work very well outdoors. My folly was to purchase a "travel" tripod, a Gitzo G-1226, somewhat heavier than suggested above, only to find it unsuitable for anything other than "travel" - too short and whippy. It sits in my closet and I now travel with tripods that do what tripods are for.</p>

<p>If the tripod is less than 24" when folded, or can be easily disassembled to meet that length, it will fit in most checked bags. You will probably have to remove the head (which I carry on board anyway) and column. At worst you might have to remove the lower leg sections. I have a fairly large tripod (Gitzo G-1227, 27" folded) which fits if I do that. My Gitzo GT-3540 (4 section, 23") fits if I simply remove the head. Either of these tripods will hold steady any camera in my collection, up to 4x5 inches.</p>

<p>Carlos, I just bought some of Adorama's carbon fiber Flashpoint legs (3-section, 18 lb -- forget the model), which seem quite alright for the price. I topped it with a Giottos 1302 ball head (about 18lb) with quick release plate. Total price about $300. The rig is pretty light. It's not rock-solid sturdy like my aluminum Leitz Tiltall, but it's light and user friendly. I made my own quick release plate for the Giottos head and can't really recommend any of the plates Giottos sells. Really Right Stuff makes some nice heads and quick release systems if you want to throw more money behind it. If you have very basic metalworking skills, you can make a Giottos-compatible quick release plate per another recent thread I started.</p>

<p>In all of this, don't neglect to consider that most compentent tripods are sturdier than the bottom plate of the camera. Most cameras will flex a bit on the tripod mount. It makes me wonder just how important it is to buy only the sturdiest tripod. It also makes me wonder whether a refined holding technique, "hard" grip, and IS can be better than a tripod in SOME shooting situations. There's a lot of dogma flying around on this subject. In months to come, I think I'll put some of this dogma to a test.</p>