Light: Science & Magic... the survey

howard_owen

Allot of people consider this the Bible or the Mantra of studio lighting, but to be honest I found some passages to be overly complicated. Even the authors of the book (3rd edition) felt that maybe mixing physics and photography might not been the greatest idea.

I'm not saying that this is not a good book actually it is damn good, but I just felt that some of the explanations were left up in the air and mixed with allot of physics mumbo-jumbo to fill in the spaces.

I think I learned more from lighting books that were printed years ago when photographers used less sophistricated methods and equipment to achieve their lighting goals. In other words just the Basics. Just my humble opinion.

<p>Thank you for the heads up. The book is such a pleasure that I think I'll re-read it before filling out the survey.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... mixed with allot of physics mumbo-jumbo to fill in the spaces.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So you'd rather it only had the magic, not the science?</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>I'm not saying that this is not a good book actually it is damn good, but I just felt that some of the explanations were left up in the air and mixed with allot of physics mumbo-jumbo to fill in the spaces. </em></p>

<p>I find the physics approach (actually, geometry) gives a concise explanation for the principles under consideration, binding the rules into an easily remembered package. Otherwise, you need a separate "rule" for each situation.</p>