What lenses to take to a wedding?

<p>My friend is getting married today and I wanted to bring my M6, but can't settle on what lenses to bring. I've got a second lens carrier for the tripod screw, but I only want to bring two, just can't figure out what would be good for a wedding. I'm thinking most pictures will be group shots/action shots at the reception, but some at the wedding as well. I've got the following:<br>

21mm Voigtlander f4<br>

40mm Voigtlander Nokton f1.4<br>

50mm Collapsible Elmar f2.8<br>

50mm Summicron f2<br>

90mm Collapsible Elmar f4<br>

135mm Hektor f4.5<br>

I plan on shooting flash with low-speed slide film (maybe Kodachrome just because I need to burn through some), interspersed with some 1600-3200 black and white, probably with no flash, and maybe 800 color. I'd prefer to avoid the flash if at all possible, but don't think I'm going to be able to get away with shooting Kodachrome indoors without it, and don't want to just shoot black and white. My usual lens choices are a 40/50 and the 90, for speed and reach, but does anyone think the 21 could be useful in a wedding situation, and would the compactness of the Elmar be worth having over the Summicron?<br>

Thanks!<br>

-Ryan</p>

<p>For sure I'd cross off the Hektor and I guess the 50 Elmar, but does anyone see a particular benefit in having the 21mm for the extra wide angle? I like the 90 for the reach, and would the f1.4 be better to have than f2? It is a bit smaller than the 'Cron, too...<br>

At this point I'm thinking the 'Cron and the 21 for speed and wide or the 40 and the 90 for the extra stop and the reach? Can't really use the flash with the 90, though, so the f4 limits me...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm thinking most pictures will be group shots/action shots at the reception, but some at the wedding as well.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the listed lenses, I would bring the 21 and 40 (or 50mm 'cron) but 21 is too wide and the 50/40mm is too tight for group shots. I would just bring a P&S and have a blast.</p>

<p>As a professional wedding photographer, I'm going to gently suggest that you take nothing with you and simply enjoy the wedding as a guest. Then head over to the Weddings & Social forum and read all the threads about guests with cameras.</p>

<p>As a guest, M6, 40mm (if it brings up the 35mm frames), 400ASA, no flash, no KR. Of course, if you want to do some "formal" portraits, maybe the 50 Cron and one roll of KR.<br>

Your question seems to derive from too many available options...<br>

So will be the answers.</p>

<p>same here, as a guest, the 40mm looks appealling, 2nd choice is the 50mm summicron. i shoot weddings, and the m is my tool of choice. i use a 1.4/35mm, and a 1.4/75mm. 85% of the wedding is done with the 35mm 'lux.</p>

<p>When I asked a similar question recently, folks were suggesting I'd need a 200mm or even a 300mm because I'd be compelled to shoot from a considerable distance. It is curious how fickle the advice can be on this forum. You never know what to make of it.</p>

<p>OK don't take this the wrong way but posts like this always confuse me. If you can't figure out what lens to bring you may not know enough about photography to take photos at a wedding. <br>

I really can't figure out why this question is on the front page of photo.net </p>

I agree with Dennis. Having done a number of professional weddings I would say you need to cover(full frame or 35mm) from about 28mm through 80 mm and I always liked something longer for receptions and head shots.(I used a Canon 70-200 2.8). I would never do a wedding without backup camera and flash. I actually carried 5 bodies to weddings and carried three flashes. I used to process my own black and white and I would not use Hi ISO B&W for quality reasons. I also would not use slide film for a wedding. Both Fuji(NPH) and Kodak 160(NC160) and 400 have films for best skin tone. I used these films with both MF and 35mm and they delivered the best color and contrast for weddings. I know nothing about your bodies and lenses. You are the best one to pick them. My motto with weddings was always bring more bodies, flashes, lenses and film than you need. You never know.

<p>The advice you get depends on what forum you ask in, and the context surrounding your question. If you insinuate you are just taking photos for your own use, you get very different advice than if it appears you are the one and only photographer doing a wedding. Andrew M's question about when you might need a lens longer than 85mm at a wedding wasn't even close to similar and was asked in a different forum.</p>

<p>As to using Kodachrome at a wedding, I had to do that once, several rolls of K64, no flash in the old english church either. Turned out surprisingly well, with help from a 58 1.4 and a 200 f4 on a really solid support. The paying customer is always right. :) </p>

<p>When I shot weddings, I did well with 2 M bodies and a 28mm Elmarit, 35/50/90 Summicrons, and a big handle-mount Vivitar flash (and a small hot-shoe back-up flash). I shot lots 100-160 ASA negative film, usually Fuji Reala 100. My clients, friends, and family always got their money's worth!!<br>

In your situation, I'd bring the 21mm (for big groups), the 40mm f1.4 for general shooting, and the 50mm Summicron for quality close-ups and portraits. Decide on just one film to avoid mix-ups. Bring a small flash if you decide on a slower film for better color over speed. Wear an outfit with lots of easy-to-access pockets, so no fumbling around in a camera bag. That's all you need...</p>

<p>FWIW, if i use the Leica for a wedding,then the following, M3 + M6, 35mmSummaronf2.8, 50mm Summicronf2.o collapsible, a 90mm(which i don't have) and the 135mmTele-Elmar. Small Vivitar 25oo.Ten rolls of 36 exposure film,400 iso,prefer Kodak Portra or Fuji as 2nd choice. The less the better!<br>

Ultimate small kit, M6, 50mm plus 135mm and flash.</p>

<p>Along with what others have said here, you should ask yourself what you want to get out of it? A few candid portraits of other guests? Group shots? Shots of the bride and groom dancing? Or do you really know? I like the idea of leaving the camera at home, i tend to enjoy the weddings a lot more. When I do bring it, it's usually to grab a few shots of my wife and friends, depending on how many people we know that will be attending. Just something to think about.</p>

<p>Ryan,</p>

<p>what size wedding is this? 20 people sitting comfortably around 1 table, small church/ ? for the tying of the knot ..</p>

<p>Or Westminster Abbey, 1400 guests and friends; or on on a cruse ship/private Caribian island all of its own etc? </p>

<p>Only you may know the answer here: for the former setting, a 28-50mm lens couple is good, for the second one the 300mm tele might be your only choice if you are number 1283 on the totem pole and 2 decks away from the bride ..</p>

<p>Ok, so let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who had a thoughtful answer to contribute here. I put some serious thought into it and ended up settling on 3 lenses, for better or for worse: 21mm, 50mm 'cron, & 90mm Elmar. The wedding was of one of my close friends, and while she had a professional photographer, I knew nearly everyone at the wedding, so wanted pictures of my own. The ceremony was outdoor, and I was just behind the family, so I shot a roll of Kodachrome with the 50 and 90. The reception was indoors, so I switched to mostly the 'cron and high-speed color/bw film. The 21mm was handy for group shots-I still need to finish developing the rolls, but I think I got some good shots of the flower toss and everyone dancing with the wider angle. I kept flash usage to a minimum, and ended up burning through 7 rolls of fairly unobtrusive shots. I plan on giving the bride and groom a framed shot or two from my b/w rolls as a more personal gift-here's to hoping I have a few good ones to pick from! </p>