Rechargeable Batteries for Canon 430 Speedlite Flash?

<p>I just threw away a set of rechargeable Quantaray batteries for my Canon 430 Speedlite Flash. I hardly used them and they had no charge. And they were supposed "High Powered". I am desperate to find a set of very good batteries for this flash that won't go dead in one hour. I am so frusterated at spending so much money on batteries that don't hold a charge for this flash. I bought these Quantaray batteries from Ritz Camera--they were the ones who recommended them.<br>

Do you all have any suggestions on what batteries I should try next and where I might be able to find them?<br>

Thank you!! <br>

Michelle</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>I bought these Quantaray batteries from Ritz Camera--they were the ones who recommended them."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Without casting aspersions on Ritz, the reason they recommended Quantaray to you is because that is their house brand, and likely the batteries that give them the highest profit margin. It wasn't exactly an unbiased recommendation (quite the opposite I would guess).</p>

<p>That said, I have also had good performance from Sanyo Eneloops, although I am only a casual user. As Matt noted, a good charger that doesn't overcook (or undercharge) the cells is a must.</p>

<p>Standard NiHM batteries have a natural self-discharge. Left alone they will simply discharge themselves. As they have no memory affect, you can simply charge them whenever you like (the night before needing them, for example,) and not worry about it. I wonder if perhaps you didn't realize this and you were a bit rash in throwing yours away?</p>

<p>Low self-discharge NiHM's (like the Sanyo Eneloops) have, as their name suggests, a much lower self-discharge rate. So low, in fact, you really don't have to worry about it at all. Charge them up, let them sit, and they'll be ready when you want them. The trade-off is that they are lower capacity.</p>

<p>I use Sanyo Eneloops in nearly every device I have that takes AA batteries. Cameras, my 420EX flash unit, remote controls, wireless mice, clocks, etc. They're great.</p>

<p>Matt's point about a charger is important. Most chargers sold with batteries, including the Eneloop's are very basic. Some of the "high speed" chargers are actually destructive to batteries. A quality charger is a worthwhile investment.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use Sanyo Eneloops and Powerex. Sanyo Eneloops only contains 2000 mAh of energy, but they hold their charge for a long time--an excellent choice for back-up batteries or if you find you shoot here and there. Powerex contain a whopping 2700 mAh of energy but they lose their charge quickly. A great option for 4+ hour shoots. Both are durable if you charge them slowly in a good charger say from Maha.</p>

<p>+1 thomas-distributing<br>

+1 <a href="http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/chargers-by-model--maha-mhc9000-c-147_148_150.html">maha MH-C9000 charger</a><br>

+1 eneloops<br>

You can get Eneloops locally at Ace Hardware. <a href="http://www.frys.com/product/5163506">Fry's Electronics</a> and <a href="http://www.adorama.com/BYS4CEAA20.html">Adorama</a> sells Sony CycleEnergy Blue batteries which is based on the same Eneloop technology (see the fine print on the back of the box) which is often cheaper than Sanyo Eneloops.</p>

<p>All good suggestions above, but just to be sure--you do know that rechargeable, NiMH batteries lose power the minute you take them off the charger? If you charge them, and leave them sitting for a day or two, and then put them in the flash, they may not have much power in them. So when using these, you need to leave the batteries on the charge until just before you intend to use them.</p>

<p>Secondly, if you don't have an 'intelligent' charger, and you aren't careful with your charging cycles, etc., and in keeping sets of batteries together, the batteries can get sloppy pretty quick. An intelligent charger costs more but are well worth it. Even if you have an intelligent charger, keep sets of batteries together be diligent about how you care for them.</p>

<p>Hi everyone! Thank you very much for ALL of the great advice!!<br>

I really do think that my Quantaray batteries were fried by the charger that came with them. I charged them and then immediately put them in my flash and my flash had very little power.<br>

I will invest in a good charger and the eneloops.<br>

I am photographing weddings and it just became too much to bear when my batteries would lose their charge in one hour! They wouldn't even get me from where the bride is getting ready to the church!<br>

Thank you again! I really appreciate the advice!<br>

Michelle</p>