Using a generator to power strobes?

bbfl

<p>Hello,<br>

I need to make a photoshoot on location. I was thinking of buying petrol generator (2KW) to power two monolights (200w/s & 400 w/s). The generator which I found was cheap (and not a famous brand - Ferros Tools), around 200 euro. <br>

I've read that the best generators are Honda, but they are too expensive. So do you think that if I buy a cheap one, I will have problems with monolights...?</p>

Generators are good if you are doing repeated high volume work outside, and like Matt said you need one that puts out a pure sine-wave. If this a one shot deal, you have to balance out the costs and the hassles of the generator against what you will be earning from the shoot.

When I visited Florida a couple of years ago, I saw a guy who was using a generator to power his flash to take pictures of tourist who wanted to explore the Everglades on one of those boats. Actually the generator was sitting on a boat not too far from the engine. I said too myself I hope this guy knows what he is doing !

There are battery powered outfits out there that you can charge at home prior to the shoot, that will provide you with ample power without the use of a generator, but they are not cheap !

http://www.calumetphoto.com/1/3/norman-400b

<p>Thank you for replies! <br>

The problem with the vagabond battery was that they didn't ship to Europe but I've just read that PaulCBuff.eu.com are located in UK and they ship AlienBees products to all Europe countries... which is awesome!<br>

Thanks again!</p>

• 2 weeks later...