40D, 100-400/4-5.6<br>

Show jumping<br>

40D, 70-200/2.8 IS<br>

Horse/carriage show<br>

40D, 70-200/2.8 IS and 5D, 24-105/4<br>

Portraits<br>

Can get away with 5D, 24-105/4 + EX580 II<br>

I'd like to replace the 40D with a 1D at some point.</p>

<p>Hmm. I thought this was a Nikon discussion. If I'm feeling Canonesque, my minimal kit is.</p>

<p>5DII<br>

24-105 f/4 IS<br>

70-200 f/4 IS<br>

24mm f/3.5 TS-E II<br>

Same accessories as in my minimal Nikon kit above except replace the 16GB cards with 32GB cards for more capacity.</p>

<p>Sheesh! If those are minimal kits, then I'd hate to see what you'd bring on vacation or to a gig...<br>

Anyway - absolute minimum is my Blackberry...takes reasonably OK images.<br>

Then for everyday, 'throw-it-in-the-car-just-in-case' kit - D40 & 18-200VR, extra card, extra battery<br>

Absolute minimum shoot-for-hire rig - D3, D300, 12-24, 28-70, 70-200, 60mm micro, SB800 + extra cards, batteries, business cards, reflectors, tape, etc.</p>

<p>Absolute minimum: the Canon G9.<br>

Walkaround: Canon 5DM2 and 24-105 L IS.<br>

Trip: G9, one DSLR body, SWA zoom, mid-range zoom, 50 f1.4, Polarizer filter, tele zoom (sometimes a prime tele) and a laptop and all the bits of cables, cords and chargers to keep it all running.</p>

<p>Pentax K-x<br>

DA 15mm f4<br>

SMC A 50mm f1.7<br>

DA L 18-55mm f3.5-5.6</p>

<p>Usually not all three but one or two of those lenses depending on what I hope to shoot. I really like just having the camera in a Zing neoprene cover just around my neck with no bag. If I'm hiking or mountain biking, I'll put it and an extra lens in my pack when it needs some protection.</p>

<p>This does it for me ...</p>

<p>Canon G11 <br />D300 body plus two 8GB cards<br />16-85 afs vr zoom<br />80-200/2.8 afd zoom<br />SB-800 & Nikon iTTL coiled flash cord (also works manual on G11)<br />2 Ball bungee cords<br />Collapsible 32" reflector kit<br />monopod</p>

<p><br />This kit covers a multitude of situations. I could add 12-24 Tokina or Micro 55mm/2.8 but I'm trying to stay minimal and as I don't shoot low light action I have no need for a superfast prime. Crank up the ISO....</p>

<p>Absolute minimum: Digital, 1DsMk3 + 24-70 <strong>or</strong> 70-200 f/4 IS. Film: Pentax 645 + 45-85 AF <strong>or</strong> 80-160. Just one camera and one zoom lens selected on whether I anticipate wide or slightly long shots. However, I very seldom take just the bare minimum. If I did, the shot of a lifetime would be just beyond the reach of my lens. Guaranteed.</p>