A cheap tripod, is it possible?

<p>As far I know a good tripod costs money. The thing is that I need a tripod but I'm looking to the cheap ones and I'm wondering if under $90 I can get a good one. Main use is shooting still and movies with the 7D.<br>

Here's what I've found so far:<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpak-620-060-6601UT-Quick-Release-Mounting/dp/B00007E8D2/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1273470658&sr=1-19</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Heavy-duty-Tripod-3-way-Panhead/dp/B0026PNOCS/ref=sr_1_940?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1273471518&sr=1-940</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Sprint-Pro-II-Tripod/dp/B0033333KU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1273471904&sr=1-4</p>

<p>Is this kind of shopping useless or can I get a good job with one of those?</p>

<p>1. Rubbish. Leg braces are useless, inconvenient and a pig to use on rough ground, and add no rigidity to the tripod, only adds weight.</p>

<p>2. Better legs, flimsy head.</p>

<p>3. Even better legs - head not good for your purposes with video.</p>

<p>I'd suggest the 'best' legset within your budget and a separate small video head like thisor similar<br>

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-manfrotto-128rc-micro-fluid-video-head/p10903</p>

<p>Look for a good used tripod. I've bought good quality medium duty tripods for $5-$25 at pawn shops, including a Slik 504QF-II with fluid head for videos, and Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 with the 3028 Super 3D tilt/panhead. Most tilt/pan heads and ballheads are clumsy for video use, tho'.</p>

<p>The Slik U212 DX is a decent all purpose tripod with a tilt/pan head that can double as an okay fluid head for video. Not as smooth as the 504QF-II fluid head, but usable for casual video.</p>

<p>Tripods that were good quality to begin with tend to be pretty durable so they're usually a safe bet on the used market.</p>

<p>I have an expensive brand name behemoth which would probably survive a tornado and still be rock steady. I also picked up an inexpensive used one from the Salvation Army Charity Store for less than $20 USD - which is lightweight, but steady enough for general purpose usage. Guess which gets used more often. I think it all depends on how you intend to use it....professionally, or occasionally, and whether or not you demand absolute durability or are tempted by portability. Yes, buying the heavy duty model in the beginning saves you long term money because you won't ever have to buy another....but if it doesn't get used as often as a lighter weight less expensive model...then the savings is irrelevant.</p>

<p>The Slik sprint pro is actually not a bad tripod and the best of the lot that you have identified. I use it as my travel tripod. However, two things. Firstly I do recommend that you do not extend the last portions of the legs (ie the thinnest ones). This will result in you having to stoop which may or may not be uncomfortable depending on your height. BTW, extending the center column is a major no no. Secondly, look at upgrading the ball head with one that is better and having a quick release plate. <br>

Other than these issues, mine has given good service and is relativly tough to take a few knocks, keeping in mind the price that was paid. It came with a great bag which makes transporting it easier.</p>

<p>Of those three I would suggest the Slik. Google 'Slik Sprint tripod review' and I am sure you will find user comments somewhere.<br>

I have liked the Velbon range when I handled it in the local camera store. But it all depends on what you want it for - if it is for bad/windy weather, or if you want to trek with it, or if you need a rugged build, or if you need it light/compact for your backpack then you will need to pay more. Otherwise you can get a cheaper model like the Slik/Velbon and see how it goes.<br>

Or, as has been suggested, raid the charity shops, second-hand sections in magazines an Craig's List.</p>

<p>Ditto the Velbon Mike mentioned. However, skip the Velbons you sometimes see in discount stores like Wal-Mart. Unfortunately Velbon has tainted its reputation by occasionally marketing some flimsy tripods with bits that break or fall off. However they also make some very good quality stuff, comparable to Slik in terms of performance and value. The Velbon carbon fiber legsets in particular seem like a very good value.</p>

<p>Incidentally, I replaced the fluid pan head on my Slik with a Velbon magnesium ballhead. (The legset for the 504QF-II was identical to the legset for the popular 300DX - only the heads differed.) At the time (2003 or so) it was the largest ballhead Velbon offered and is remarkably light but rigid. It will easily handle a full sized dSLR like the Nikon D2-series or D3-series or F3 w/ MD-4 motor drive, with a telephoto or zoom up to the size and weight of a 70-200/2.8 VR or 300/4 AFS. I've used this combo for several years, even dropped it on the pavement a couple of times (without a camera mounted, thankfully), and it barely nicked the durable finish on the magnesium head.</p>

<p>The Thom Hogan article is certainly true, but it relies on one assumption that doesn't work for a lot of people (especially beginners): that they have the wherewithal to drop a cool grand on tripod equipment right up front. If I were to have waited until I could afford that I would have been without a tripod for years, and missing shots because of it. Buying your way up through the various price ranges certainly is more expensive in the long run, but a decent set of $100 legs and a $100 ball head probably covers 80% of non-professional needs. IMHO, that's the sweet spot for starting out, and I don't really see it as money wasted, even if you move on to something better.</p>

<p>Check out Craigslist. I've seen some very expensive Bogen/Manfrotto tripods and heads go for a small fraction of their retail price. Of course, you have to be patient and wait for the right one to come along as well as know what kind of tripod you're wanting in the first place, but it is possible.</p>

<p>If I'm reading these ads correctly they all come with integrated heads. That means you can't change heads later if you want something different. My suggestion is to look for a used Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 which does allow for interchangeable heads, and is also their lightest weight tripod but still good enough for what you want, and then look for the appropriate head(s) later.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2224357">hernan enriquez</a> , May 15, 2010; 05:08 p.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Stephen Lewis is right! Forget the snobs and get what you want, work from there!</p>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Or perhaps not, if it turns out to be totally unsuitable for your purposes you'll get precious little work done!</p>

<p><strong ><em >"Main use is shooting still and movies with the 7D."</em></strong><br>

<br>

Have you considered a monopod?<br>

<br>

Depending upon the locations for the Stills & Movies and also the Tv (shutter speed) you use for the Stills, a monopod might suffice.<br>

<br>

I regularly use a Monopod for both Movies and Stills. Depending upon the circumstances a Monopod is more manoeuvrable and does afford a quicker change of vantage point. Also there are locations / situations where, a monopod is allowed and Tripod is not.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>I haven't considered the monopod mainly because one of the next movie shooting I'm gonna do involve a steady shooting with the camera pointing to the ground. I've thought that the tripod was the best solution for this.</p>

<p>About the Tiltall tripods I've seen these two below:<br>

1-<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Tiltall-Tripod-Black-Max-70/dp/B0000AB4NQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274066261&sr=1-1</p>

<p>2-<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Tiltall-Standard-Release-Maximum-Supports/dp/B000QD3AMQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1274066261&sr=1-4</p>

<p>I still have to read the article that Wade pointed out, but I'm wondering why a tripod with separated heads it's better than a combo.</p>

<p><em><strong>"the next movie shooting I'm gonna do involve a steady shooting with the camera pointing to the ground"</strong></em><br>

<br>

A monopod would be restrictive for this use, unless you could clamp or secure it to a solid structure.<br>

<br>

I suggested a monopod for consideration (only if it could fulfil your requirements) because I was considering the cost, assuming you were purchasing new and not second hand. <br>

<br>

Purchasing a tripod second hand is a good idea, tripods can easily be tested for sturdiness, it is not like buying a camera second hand.<br>

<br>

I have not used the Tiltall system, I use Manfrotto and I am very happy with their gear.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

Cheap is possible if you don't mind heavy or flimsy. Cheap and heavy and sturdy is the way to go if you're young and

strong. Expensive and light and sturdy is the way to go if you are older and can afford it. The old Bogen (Manfretto)

Aluminum monsters like the old 3021 is a good if heavy tripod and there are so many out there you should be able to find

something like that for cheap.

You only get into trouble when you try to go cheap, sturdy and light all at the same time. And lately I've seen ads for

carbon fiber for cheaper than I'd believe in magazines. Don't know how good they are though.

<blockquote>

<p>but I'm wondering why a tripod with separated heads it's better than a combo.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is all about versatility - with the combo you get what you are given, but some people prefer alternatives. Accuracy of framing is fair to middling with combination tripods - when you have found the best camera position and then lock it you will almost invariably get some movement in the camera which, for critical framing, can be very frustrating; and in my experience, the cheaper tripods with a combination head suffer this more than most. Also, on most combos I've seen the adjustments are made with two or three stalks sticking out that lock/unlock with a twist action - I prefer a ball-head and good ball-heads would significantly increase the cost of what is supposed to be a cheap item. Then there are video-type heads that use a triger mechanism.<br>

So with the combo, if you want to change the head you need to change the tripod as well.<br>

But if it is for occasional use then maybe all this does not matter to you.</p>

<p>Whatever you get, sturdy is best and IMHO the most important. If your budget is tight, then second hand, from a pawn broker, garage sale, charity shop or other such outlet is a good way to go. Take your camera with you and try them out. Another source is a photography or movie club where members may be selling off older gear as they upgrade this last source usually the best as most club members I know look after their gear.</p>

<p>stay away from cheep and nasty as they will let you down in the worst possible way at the worst possible time .</p>

<p>At the same time you dont have to spend a fortune .<br>

I use an optex brand I got new for about A$150 and it is great, it holds up my 6x6 medium format rock solid and its nice and light to cary around .</p>

<p> </p>