Help me get some use out of my 430 EX II`

ejchem101

<p>Hey guys, I picked up a 430 EX II about a week ago. I used it for photographing a dance for the high school that I teach at, they turned out great. I need to decide whether to keep it, or return it.</p>

<p>In terms of lighting, I've always been a fan of natural-light photography, however, I'm starting to realize the benefits of having a powerful on-camera flash. Probably the biggest advantage I've started to see is that you can essentially lessen the dynamic range, allowing the background to be not as washed out (fill flash).</p>

<p>I bought it because I wanted more than just the direct on-camera flash, I loved the ability to bounce the flash, adding so much more to the photos than I would have guessed. So... I'm very happy with the results, but... where do I go from here with this flash?</p>

<p>Since it does add considerable size to the camera, do you take speed lights with you everywhere? When do you leave them at home?</p>

<p>What are the main locations that you use your speedlights? Are they always on your cameras (I have a Canon 20D, and dont particularly like the on-camera flash), what places are they an absolute MUST for you? I'm not looking at adding additional strobes for the moment being.</p>

<p>Are portraits the only place you use a strobe? What about uses for nature photography?</p>

<p>I'm just wanting to get the most out of my purchase.</p>

<p>I have 2 580EXII and 1 430EXII and usualy come with me everywhere. Not to say that every picture I take is with flash but I always carry one or 2 units at all times.<br>

As Nathan metioned check out the strbist blog and you'll see.</p>

Since it does add considerable size to the camera, do you take speed lights with you everywhere? When do you leave them at home?

It depends, if I know I'm going to need some extra lighting, then I take my flash with me which is about 80% of the time. On some occasions, or during an emergency I rely on the pop-up flash that comes with one of my cameras. Even when I'm shooting out in Nature, in bright sunlight, I take a smaller flash with me just in case, because you never know when you are going to need it.

What are the main locations that you use your speedlights? Are they always on your cameras (I have a Canon 20D, and dont particularly like the on-camera flash), what places are they an absolute MUST for you? I'm not looking at adding additional strobes for the moment being.

You can use a flash anywhere even in the great outdoors, but places like offices, weddings, special events, night photography is where a flash really comes in handy. Allot of photographers swear by Natural Lighting to the point where it has become Cliche and booring, but there is nothing like a properly taken action-stopping photo taken with a flash. Keep in mind that the output from a flash can only reach a certain distance depending on the (GN) guide number of the flash unit. I am constantly amazed by how many people who don't understand this concept...

Are portraits the only place you use a strobe? What about uses for nature photography?

No portraits are not the only area where you can use a strobe. Actually using a strobe outdoors in portraiture is common since you need to balance out the shadows caused by the sun, this is called Fill Flash. There are also plenty of situations in Nature Photography where a small flash would yield much better results than if the picture was taken under natural lighting conditions.

I'm just wanting to get the most out of my purchase

Enjoy your flash and stop worrying about comments made by anti-flash fanatics. A Flash is just a tool to help you get better pictures. I have about 5 different units, not including my pop-up flash that I use incase of an emergency, or in difficult lighting situations.

<p>Thank you Harry, That was exactly what I was looking for. I've read the strobist blog, but it is completely about the off-camera flash. I'm not quite to that point yet, but looking forward to whenever I do get a chance. For now I think I might look around for a diffuser for portraits, and other than that I think you are completely right about just using the flash as a tool.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>Even if you are not looking at getting your flash way off-camera, you should still consider adding a pc cord so you can hold the flash in one hand and the camera in the other, or use it with a bracket. This allows you much more control with directing the light and would also allow you to use it for macro shots and give better results than leaving it on-camera all the time. An inexpensive option is here:<br>

<a href="http://flashzebra.com/products/0122/index.shtml">http://flashzebra.com/products/0122/index.shtml</a></p>