General Digital Darkroom

<p>Well, here is my beef. I am trying to move into printing digital images, but I hear about prints too dark as pandemic issue, the need to calibrate and profile my monitor, the importance that my particular paper characeristics are recognized, and various problems involving 32 and 64 bit processing and different image editing software. Has anyone be able to circumvent or simplify these issues and still produce decent prints as a hobbyist? I spend all day in front of a screen. I am not that interested in spending all night in front of one to get some decent prints. Please, no offense to anyone. Thanks for any help. </p>

<p>You need to start printing, and then come up with questions about any possible problems that you have ancountered.</p>

<p>In general use original printer manufacturer paper and paint cartridges, and you will minimize or eliminate any potential problems. </p>

<p>Do not let reading any "horror" print stories stop you from trying to print.</p>

<p>It's like any subject... The vast majority of questions posted are from people having problems, while those enjoying success remain blissfully silent. I for one, have a modest but well balanced print setup and I waste very little ink and paper with bad prints. My prints come out as I expect them to. Don't be afraid to get into home photo printing, but get a good book on color management.</p>

<p>Look for Patrick Lavois' articles / threads here on color management. He makes it straight forward and easy to set up.</p>

<p>Once you have a color managed workflow, you don't need to mess with anything. Make it look good on the screen and it looks good in print.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p> </p>

<p>As always, Chas gives solid advice. But you are correct in saying that some printers perform better when you accurately define which type of paper you're printing on - that is why they have so many paper type selections ;-)</p>

<p>As for 32 vs 64 bit software, that has absolutely nothing to do with printing - so forget that. Once you correctly calibrate your monitor everything will fall into place...;-)</p>

<p>Dave, as the others have said, don't be defeated before you even begin. I have slowly added things to my workflow [calibrated monitor, calibrated printer, NEC monitor with LUT in the monitor, etc.] where now I feel I can print without making many or any corrections at all. I never had trouble with my prints being dark. When I first began, the prints didn't look all that bad to begin with...it's just that I try for perfection.<br>

However, I do know someone who simply downloads her prints to her computer, then prints them out. No calibration of the monitor or the printer. I'm very jealous that her prints come out so well with so little effort. Perhaps you will be lucky enough to have the same thing happen to you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I hear about prints too dark as pandemic issue, the need to calibrate and profile my monitor, the importance that my particular paper characeristics are recognized, and various problems involving 32 and 64 bit processing and different image editing software.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Easy to avoid all that; get yourself a hardware calibration device liek a spider3 pro or eye 1 d2, read your manual on how to print with your printer by using the genuine ink and paper, use the correct paper profile and look at your print under correct luminosity... find that too hard to follow? send your print to a external lab and pray for good result ; )</p>