When was 'bokeh' "discovered?"

<p>Kelly, but do you have any opinion on the matter!?!</p>

<p>I have to admit that the first time I heard the word Bokeh I confused it with a word describing a sexual act!</p>

<p>When I really think about it, and having been a LF landscape photographer for so many years, I realized I never dealt with out of focus areas--what is that?</p>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p> I would also welcome and like to hear from those who have work with and have a handle on <em>bokeh</em> and use it creatively.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've played around with it, but have not actually used it creatively (yet). Here's what I discovered during playtime:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.graphic-fusion.com/beyondbokeh.htm">http://www.graphic-fusion.com/beyondbokeh.htm</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Proper <em>boke</em> is essential to create out-of-focus areas that do not disturb the <em>wa</em>, and permit the attainment of perfect <em>shibumi</em>. Is this not self-evident?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>Shibumi</em>? I read that in high school. I think Trevanian invented <em>bokeh</em> as an elaborate practical <em>jokeh</em>.</p>

<p> Out of focus background is not unimportant. Especially when there is a eucalyptus trunk sticking out of a head as you all know and appreciate..<br>

In portraits with this here Olympus 4/3 system one adapts to at least think a little more about out of focus if one wants the mooshy effect.<br>

And to regurgitate what most know, -with a smaller than film size sensor, a 50 mm F 2 lens acts like a 100 mm portrait lens, but it's still to the eye in mooshy background terms a 50 mm lens with the same DOF <em>to the eye at least</em>.<br>

An instructor at the base who gave a basic portrait course ( A Brooks grad he) used to call it a <strong>"mooshy </strong>background." Maybe he meant creamy but he shot only w a Hassy and they didn't do "bokeh." Swedish mfr I think were more interested in selling Softar hundred fifty buck filters to get the foreground softened in a "creamy enough" way..so I do not scoff at softening effects , no sirree. Thirty years of Playboy centerfolds you know...<br>

Freeman in his book tells how to get better bokeh on the computer in PP. Have to read that again. Not at that stage by a long way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I don't know a lens designer who set out to make flare however."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do. The Rodenstock Imagon is the king of bokeh and flare - both totally controllable, and the lens was designed long before the "B" word was coined. I use an Imagon on my Hasselblad, and the results are controllable, once you understand how the lens works in total. The flare fills in the shadows and gives highlights a glow.</p>

<p>The term sounds like a way to turn a defect into a feature. Plastic lenses - epoxy bonding agents - all would make true sharpness really hard to achieve. People will believe anything, so why not tell them that their photos are reminiscent of the work of some Japanese wizard?</p>

<p>Actually I have a lot of bokeh myself in my poor old nearsighted eyes. It would help legitimize at least one of my passions if someone would invent "nipple sharpness!"</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Proper <em>boke</em> is essential to create out-of-focus areas that do not disturb the <em>wa</em>, and permit the attainment of perfect <em>shibumi</em>. Is this not self-evident?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>By the way,<strong> Charles,</strong> thanks for introducing me to that noun <em>wah. </em><br>

Lately,in the checkout counters , I am parted with " Have a good <em>wa.." </em>I first thought this was something like " Have a good one.." Since good <em>what</em> was never clear, I now can see they are telling me to improve my spiritual life and fortune. I like that thought.</p>

<p>Japanese are religious about giving a print of photos of groups to all the members of the group. Even when it is blurred. In Japanese I would ask myself why I had been given a photo which was so'bokehed'. In English I would ask myself why I had been given me a photo that was so blurred . In everyday Japanese 'bokeh' means 'senile'. It isn't my favorite word. I'm getting increasingly forgetful.</p>

<p><strong>Adrienne, </strong>thanks for that observation on the Japanese and their photo habits which do influence modern imaging in such big ways.<br /> Another thread today features a Toronto optical engineering group seeking a wider range of focus for certain applications. No bokeh interest there, but no Lensbabies for the Canadians either. Most of my shooting,with manual cameras has been to get more crisp quality. Even when we sought softness it was an overlay to diffuse a crisp image. Despite the Imagon and other soft focus or controlled "degrading" of optic lenses.<br /> For every thing obviously there is a counter effect thing down the path. Stands to reason. When lens tech delivers error free performance, it does seem natural to try to mush it up or concentrate on the mushed part as is the case with the bokeh business. I get it and I accept it without the ridicule either despite my attempts at humor. And so when it gets mooshed or partly mooshed why not give that part a name. And of course a Japanese name conveys something of added value. (Not just old sake in new bottles).<br /> Canon also had a lens I recall, maybe still sold, that introduced optical errors under user control. I don't think it sold well. Vaseline did the job on an old filter. (I know I simplify) Oh and much messier and no term to cover that one..</p>