how close must subject be?

nad_l_steyn

<p>I would like to know from one of the more experienced photographers, with my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses, how close (or far away) must you be from your subject? For example, with my old p&s, I know I must be at least 1m away from my subject, otherwise it doesn't focus. So with my new D40, what is the closest that I can stand to my subject? Is there any way of working out how far away I must stand?</p>

<p>In addition, each lens has its own minimal focus distance, no different from your P&S. You can look these up on the Nikon website, it's listed as part of the specifications, see for example http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_18-55mmf_35-56g_vr/index.htm</p>

<p>But that is just the shortest distance the lens can still focus - it does not say much else than that.</p>

<p>Pardon my ignorance, but since you own the lenses, why can't you just mount them on your camera, select a focal length and move in on a subject, then measure the distance? The mfr minimum distance is usually measured between the subject and the focal plane, not the front of the lens.</p>

<p>I think all lenses have the minimum focal length inscribed / silk screened on them. All my lenses have it on the side with the icon of a flower (macro) beside it (See attachments). Mine are on on the left side when looking at the front of the camera.</p>

<p>Nadel, low-cost P&S cameras are often "fixed focus" meaning that they are typically focused at about 15-20 feet and rely on "depth of field" for everything from about 3-5 feet on to be in focus. Other P&S cameras might be able to focus, but have a limit around 3-5 because it's cheaper to build them that way that to make them able to focus closer. Lenses on a DSLR are much more sophisticated than that. With a DSLR, you can adjust the focus, either manually or with autofocus. As stated above, one of your lenses can focus as close as 11 inches and the other at about 3 feet. And with accessory closeup lenses or extension tubes you can focus down to a fraction of an inch. So the concept of there being a minimum distance to stand from the subject is a thing of the past now that you have your new camera. This opens up a whole new world of things you can get close enough to take a good picture of, so take advantage of it and have fun!</p>