Ektar 100 - Dissappointing Results - First Film in Years

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The only issue I've had with it at all is that canned profiles were not yet available and it employs a different colored mask than some of the older Kodak emulsions like Portra (more magenta than orange), so older canned scanner profiles don't work.<br>

I've used Ektar 100 extensively in 120 and find has really wonderful color and great range. If you're getting less than spectacular results, I'd suggest first getting it processed somewhere more professional. I've done it in my own Jobo with Tetanal C41, and I've had it done inexpensively on Noritsu 1 hour minilab machines, both with great results.</p>

<p>"There is no "Ektar blue"<br /> My ass (actually my babies ass). My baby does not have a blue butt but this is exactly how the print and CD looked back from the lab. The shots in the sun were fine. Kodak said they thought Ektar was like a slide film. I agree I am now using an 81A or 812 filter when I shoot in open shade.<br /> This is a crop of a 1/2 frame image. So that is why there is some grain.</p>

<p> You're say that you're shooting in open shade.<br>

Where's the light coming from? The sky. What color is the sky? Blue. What sort of color cast would you expect in a picture shot with blue light?</p>

<p> My point is that the color cast you're seeing has nothing to with Ektar 100. It's a professional film. It demands a professional level of processing.</p>

<p> If you don't get that from your lab, don't blame the film.</p>

<p>I do not blame the film or the lab. I am just saying that I now use a warming filter in open shade like I have always done when using slide film. Problem solved. As you said it is a pro film so it takes a little bit more effort to get the best out of it. I love Ektar and use it. I just had to learn how to use it to get the results I am looking for.</p>