I LOVE POPUPADS!

david_mcniven

<p>I've been enjoying very much the Bing ads and I'll definitely try whatever a Bing is very soon if I don't forget - getting old and feeble-minded - luckily the nice people at Micro-something seem to know when my memory is failing and kindly remind me.<br>

Canon have a wonderful full-screen advertisement which I'm dying to see the rest of but I accidentally hit the "close" button in my excitement... my fingers don't work very well either. Hope it pops up again soon - fascinating stuff so far.<br>

Pleasepleaseplease can we have some more of this on the site and the internet as a whole?<br>

Like TV maybe? In the bad old days we had only 2 minutes of ads every half-hour or so (in the UK anyway - better in the US I think?). Now we have much more access to all the creative magic of those talented young advertising genii but still I want more!<br>

I think I'm going to be lucky... what do you think?<br>

If Jesus had explained that by "the meek" He meant "the bean-counters" I would have voted for somebody else...</p>

<p>Sarcasm is sure great! It's REALLY helpful for me to try and figure out if something is on the site that shouldn't be there. So let me be sure to say thanks for your VERY useful post.</p>

<p>I'm not seeing any bing ads, so someone is going to have to provide me with a screenshot if there really is a bing pop up. Secondly, the Canon ad isn't a pop up at all. It's what is called an 'interstitial', it loads between pages. In this case, it loads directly after a non-subscriber logs on.As always, subscribers see fewer ads. You aren't a subscriber, so you are seeing the ad after you log in. A completely relevant ad from a photographic company I might point out.</p>

<p>Finally, the site has to pay the bills somehow. This isn't a charity and we've got to pull our own weight or we won't exist any more. Until someone can come up with a magic plan to make money grow on trees, that plan will include advertising on photo.net. Nothing in life is free.</p>

<p>Hi Josh, my attempts at ironic humour were intended as an inoffensive comment on the less-acceptable (to me) excesses of advertising and not as a criticism of this or any other forum - or of any individual. I appreciate the work you all do and I should have made that clear.<br>

Not sure the Bing thing was even on this forum - like many people I browse others too.<br>

The following comments are again intended to be taken as referring to internet advertising in general.<br>

Advertisements flashing in bright primary colours, those that plant themselves over part of the content and need closing by hitting the button and now "interstitials" is it? What's next - more than one page with the "close" button only on the last page?<br>

If it's possible and the bean-counters think there's profit in it - what's to stop it?<br>

Just seems to be the way things are going. Generally. Not intended as a jibe at you or this forum, which I really like. The forum that is, not sure about you yet... :-)<br>

But what do I know - I can't even find the smileys.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For some (strange?) all I'm seeing right now is responsible ads: some specific to photography, or at the very least, for legitimate products, ie: no "which arrow is longer", "find your schoolmates", "congratulations,...", "online gambling is now...", and so on. Where's a cheesy ad when you want one, LOL.</p>

<p>This is in contrast to the last month or so when cheesy/useless/come-on ads <em>were</em> pretty rife, so maybe there is progress.</p>

<p>BTW, when I read the title of this thread, my poor brain cells were thinking along the lines of:</p>

<p>Popu Pads</p>

<p>What's this? New miracle product?</p>

<p>Hi Mendel, it wasn't that I didn't notice the alternative reading. I didn't rewrite the header because I'm of that certain age when the "Dot-of-Shame" first appears and I prefer to laugh at my rapidly-advancing decrepitude.<br>

I may soon indeed love PopuPads... can't buy them 'til they advertise though, obviously.</p>