What is similar to HP5?

I'm relatively new to film photography and have grown attached to Ilford HP5+

(especially because it is forgiving to maltimed development). But it's

expensive. I look at websites for the bighouses and see bulk film in 100ft

lengths going for half the price.

Can anyone tell me if other films are similar to HP5+? I've tried Tri-X and it

seems similar (especially in development), but Tri-X costs the same as HP5+. Is

there any cheaper alternative?

The cheaper alternatives are just not worth the savings IMHO. You mention that HP5+ is forgiving to development. I agree. I tried cheaper films, like Fortepan, and found that they were not near as forgiving. Highlights blown, blocked shadows, etc.

There are cheaper alternatives, but there are compromises that you must be willing to make if you want to use them. Bargain basement films may not be as consistent from batch to batch. Grain will often be more prominent. Technical documentation will almost always be more sketchy, never approaching the level published by the likes of Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji. Quality control and R&D cost money and those costs are passed on to the consumer. In return, the consumer usually gets a superior product with better customer support. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself if the compromises are something you are willing to accept.

I've recently taken to using the re-branded Foma films sold by Freestyle under the Arista.EDU Ultra label. The ISO 400 film is a bit more grainy than Tri-X or HP5+, but not bad otherwise. I've read some good reports about the ISO 200 film, and am looking forward to giving that a try as well. The ISO 100 film looks good to me in medium format, and I've had no problems with it to date.

Try a few rolls of the stuff. If you like, then you'll have a cheaper alternative for at least part of your film needs. Twenty bucks for 100 feet of 35mm film is what I call a real bargain these days. At that price how could you not try it?

I do not know where you live David, but my experience in France and Germany is that film

prices vary a lot between shops. The most expensive shops in Hamburg, Germany with

regard to b&w film are the large hi-fi and digital camera __discounters__ and the

department stores. They charge twice as much as Calumet!

If you like HP5 (very understandable!) then stick with it, that is the only way to constantly

obtain good results, and look for a good source instead of jumping around between

different films.

B&w film keeps well for years, even outside a deep freezer, so it may be an idea to use

mail order for buying. But stick to one film, at least for each category (slow/fast).

Maybe there's a bigger game being played than saving a few pennies on a roll of film. Ilford used to price much cheaper than Kodak- here in the UK anyway- and they went out of business. In some ways you're fortunate to be able to buy HP5 at all. I hope that they don't follow that path again.

As indicated above you should make sure you're buying the film you really want to use at the best rate before settling for a product you like less well, and understand less well, more cheaply. I've just checked and across the 3 discount mail-order suppliers I tend to use there's a 30p (50c) variation in the price of a 36 exposure roll. Or gear up to use the 100' rolls if you use a lot.

Ilford never really went out of business but they were on shakey ground for a period. They seem to have made a full recovery, thank goodness.

There's not much alternative to the quality and consistency of Ilford and Kodak films. You can cut costs by bulk loading or buying individual rolls in quantity. As previously stated, film will last virtually forever if frozen, so shop around for bargains and buy a lot when you find them--prices for film are not going to go down in the future.

If I were you I will just stick with HP5+ and Tri-X. These films are the best when it comes to the best of the best. They also make some great slower films too. Anything other than Ilford or Kodak are not worth the time. Yes they are cheap and it is what it is cheap;-) Not bad for playing around shoot things I don't care to much for. I find Ilford and Kodak price are not at all bad. Still under $4.00 a roll of 120. Photography or any hobby is not going to be cheap. I always heard you get what you paid for. Yes I have used Arista re-branded films and they are not up in the same level as the big ballers.

http://photoformulary.com/images/Silver_Conference_movies/Steven_Brierley.mov

Fuji films are superb. Acros in particular is at least a match for TMax 100 or Delta 100, and distinctly superior for long-exposure work. The other Neopan films are also excellent, however Neopan 400, Fuji's answer to HP5 and Tri-X, is typically a little more expensive than its equivalents from the UK or Rochester.

For the sake of consistent quality, I woudln't stray beyond Kodak/Ilford/Fuji. But if your budget is tight, you can save considerably by buying 100-foot bulk rolls and loading into film cassettes yourself. This only works if you're developing the film yourself because the cost of the empty cassettes wipes out the savings unless you reuse them. Here in the U.S. Freestyle Sales sells Kodak and Ilford slightly outdated but cold stored at bargain rates, and also sells Ilford repackaged under their own brand at a good savings. Personally, I buy almost exclusively from major national suppliers like www.bhphotovideo.com where I know I will get the best price and rarely buy from local shops where prices are higher.