Life of stock Microphen

giverin

<p>For long term storage I still prefer glass bottles. I have some Microphen of unknown vintage in a clear plastic soda bottle. It hasn't turned brown at all. I think I'll test it by shooting a short strip of film and diluting the Microphen 1:1. That will use up only 4 oz. If it's good I'll use the rest undiluted. </p>

<p>The stock solution should be good for around six months or so in an airtight container with excess air expelled. Normally I use up Microphen stock solution in well under six months so I have no personal experience with it in extended storage. I've heard mixed reports about whether those concertina bottles are truly airtight, so your results may vary.</p>

<p>Thanks Jeff & Lex.</p>

<p>Lex, if the concertina bottles are not completely airtight, particularly when in compression, the bottle will expand again. I just took the lid off my bottle that has been sealed since December and the fluid was still right at the top of the neck so I know that it has been airtight.<br>

I want to try the microphen with a test roll of Acros. If it works out, I'll buy some fresh microphen for the portrait shoot in June. My microphen will be 7 months old by then and I don't want to risk using it on important film.</p>

<p>I'll be interested in hearing about your results with Acros, especially if normally exposed. I discovered through serendipity that Microphen 1+1 works very well for normally exposed T-Max 100, and seems less fussy than with ID-11. Before then I'd used it only for push processing.</p>

<p>Hi Lex, I actually bought the Microphen last year on your recommendation to develop some Delta 3200 and TMY pushed to 1600. Someone else here in another thread recommended that I try it with Acros.</p>

<p>I will be exposing a test roll of Acros @ 100 and I intend to develop half the roll in Microphen and half in Rodinal. I'll certainly let you know how I got on but I'm still a bit of a novice and my analysis of the results may be lacking because of that. </p>