Looking for battery suggestion for SB-900

richardsnow

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I'm waiting for my SB-900 and am looking into what rechargeable batteries I should be using. </p>

<p>They need to be high quality with fast flash recycle time. The batteries will be used primarily in the Nikon SD-9 Battery pack, which I understand significantly reduces recharge time anyways.</p>

<p>Just looking for suggestions...also I'll be looking for a good intelligent charger.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

RS</p>

<p>Sanyo's Eneloops have become my favorite. But definitely use a per-cell "smart" charger that won't cook them all at 700 mAh, and won't give up charging them all when the first one in the tray seems to be charged. That's a really important part of the picture, there.</p>

<p>I believe Sanyo only makes AA and AAA types of Enelopes. If you find Enelopes in "C" or "D" size, that would be great!<br />Perhaps there is another brand of the "hybrid" type of rechargeable batteries, out there somewhere ?<br />You could possibly use AA with an plastic spacer/adapter for "C" batteries, but I would not recommend that.<br />The AA would work great in the SD-8A but not in the SD-9, since SD-9 perhaps requires larger batteries like "C" type ? Make sure you know that. I do not have SD9, and I wonder if you could find them?<br />I use the SD-8A with Sanyo AA Enelopes, and Maha computerized analyzer/charger. All work great.</p>

I haven't tried the Sanyo Enelop yet, although I have a set with powerpack that is still packaged sitting on my desk. I have been using the PowerX battteries. These batteries are very powerful and also hold their charge very well, plus they don't leak. I had a set inside one of my flashes for 3 months. I figured the power would have drainded by then, but nope the flash fired off normally with no problems.

<p>I've tried both Eneloops and regular NiMH batteries in SB-900 and the regular kind (with higher mAh) are a tad faster on recycle. I used the Kodak rechargeables, in the olive green label. They are reasonably priced and hold up very well. Mine are approaching three years old now and work great. The Eneloops don't hold as much charge. If you only shoot once or twice a month they will be fine, but if you often shoot through a set of batteries in a single day you would likely be better off with the standard NiMH with their higher capacity.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>If youre going for rechargables, for sure go with NiMH. The ones with a higher mAh will recycle faster than those with lower mAh but the higher ones will also lose their charge if not in use. In this case, go with the lower mAh batteries. If you need a fast recycle time and don't have rechargables, then go for the lithium ion batteries. They are by far the best battery but unfortunately don't come as rechargable AA, yet.</p>