85mm f/1.8

kirk_wulf

<p>I am looking to add a lens that I could use for dance photography and wanted to hear some thoughts if the Canon 85 mm f/1.8 would be a good lens for it. I shoot with the Canon 40D. My daughter is 8 so the recitals are in smaller venues and I can usually get seats close to the stage for decent light, but I am bound to a seat. Any thoughts on how the 85mm f/1.8 would work for that application? Should I look for a longer prime or consider maybe the Canon 70-200mm f/4? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. </p>

<p>85 1.8 is pretty long on a crop body. Since the distance changes and you have to stay put, I suggest a Zoom. But I would go for a 70-200 2.8 IS. It is by far the best zoom I have ever used. If you had a full frame, that lens would shine. I would recommend either 24-70 2.8 or a wider 17-55 2.8 IS. Both are great lens' and the 24-70 2.8 would have great reach on a crop body. Final answer, 24-70 2.8. Best and most expensive answer, 5D Mark II with 70-200 2.8 IS. you would rock. v/r Buffdr</p>

<p>The 85 should be fine if you are pretty close to the stage. The shorter zooms mentioned so far to me wouldn't do much as they would be too short unless you wanted to get a big group. If your budget allows it, you could go for the 70-200mm f2.8, but it is heavy and not cheap. The non IS version would be cheaper but still heavy. You could also consider Sigma's 50-150 f2.8 , I've not used it and have not done a lot of research on it, but the range should be good for recitals.</p>

<p>Tough question. First, the 85mm f/1.8 is a fine lens and it works well in situations where you need a large aperture prime in a lens of this focal length.</p>

<p>The question is whether or not it is the right focal length. I wonder if you can go to a typical location where these performances might take place and try whatever lens you have now to get some idea about the focal length? Do you have something like an 18-55mm kit lens?</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Walter is correct Shot the best file you can then do your zooming with a crop. The speed from the 85mm f1.8 is really going to be a plus. You will also be able to better isolate your daughter from the others or the back ground with the super shallow depth of field that 1.8 will give you.<br>

I use a 85mm f1.8 when I shoot weddings and during recepitions and it's a great focal lenght for that kind of work.<br>

But the suggestion of a dry run is a very good one.</p>

<p>We cannot really help you. We need to know <em>how</em> close you will be to the stage, <em>how</em> bright (or dim) the lights are. Then we can make useful suggestions for focal lengths and max aperture.</p>

<p>Else... Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 100mm f/2 etc. all are fast lenses well suited for shooting stage events in available light -- but which angle-of-view is the most useful for you we cannot say.</p>

<p>Kirk,<br>

My late photography professor shot theater and dance for the Bolshoi in Brazil. He very often used a Nikon 50 1.4 on a Nikon crop body.<br>

Just for fun, I shot at the Joinville Dance Festival last year. I used the 85 1.8 some at that event. Given varying distances from the stage and the depth of the stage I did not find the 85 to be ideal. The zoom range of my 55-250 IS was much better suited for that type of event, but is is far too slow to use in low light.<br>

Based on my experience I felt that a Tamron 28-75 2.8 or a Tokina 50-135 2.8 or a Sigma 50-150 2.8 would have been suitable lenses if the light was not too low. I have not tried any of these lenses, so this is theory.<br>

I shoot with an XSi. Your 40D may have better high ISO performance, so you may have an extra stop to play with that I did not have.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Kirk,</p>

<p>I have used the 85mm on a 1.6 X camera for my daughter's dance recitals in a small theatre and it was perfect. On the full frame I use a 135mm. I think a 2.8 70-200mm would be excellent too, but it is a big lens and depending on your camera's low light capabilities, you <em>may </em>find it a stop too slow. I usually shoot ISO 3200 on the 5DMKII and 800-1600 on the Rebel XTi (10MP). I think the 70-200mm f4 is too slow really (I have one) particularly for dance where there is fast movement. I find the 85mm ideal, but you will also need a wider lens. Next time I go I will take my 24-70/2.8 my 85mm/1.8 and the 135/2 (FF) for dance - which is my usual set up. But it is difficult to predict which will work out best because I never really know the distances involved until I get there.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Thanks everyone for all the comments. You have definitely helped give me some ideas to use and think about. Some info I failed to include is that I do have a couple of Tamron lenses I use now - a 17 - 50mm f/2.8. I thought a 50mm prime would be, although faster, maybe a little too similar. And then the Tamron 28 - 300mm lens (I somehow managed to shoot last year's recital with). I did go back and look at last years shots based on focal length and found 1) that I was completely across the board from 28 to 300 mm shots but 2) I did have a big group in the 80mm - 135mm range. Usually I can get into the auditorium early and last year I learned to sit in on the dressed rehearsal so I can even play with a couple of lenses. It happens to be a new location this year.<br>

From the comments, I may still go with the 85mm prime because she is now doing competitions in the summer and there I would not be bound to a chair. Sounds like the 85mm prime would be great for general portrait shots as well. Then work toward a fast zoom. Thanks for sharing your insight and experiences. I have some equipment mentioned to research and money to save. As my wife tells me, you have an expensive hobby.</p>