common salt +developer

<p>A couple of caveats: table salt contains an anti-caking agent so that it flows easily. This, I believe is magnesium carbonate which may interact adversely with the developer. I have heard of people using sea-salt which is coarser and does not contain any additives, but if you want to try this, I'd suggest proper photographic grade sodium chloride. I have tried sodium chloride with a D23 variant (to produce a Perceptol-type developer) but I have to confess that other than a slight loss of film speed I didn't notice any great effect.</p>

<p>One must be careful with Kosher salt. Apparently some brands contain sodium ferrocyanide decahydrate, also known as yellow prussiate of soda. Some do not contain an anti-caking agent, but if it does it is clearly indicated on the package. It will almost invariably be in fine print, but you'll find it on the label if it's in the box. Use the brand without the agent, that's salt without iodine and pure enough for photo grade.</p>

<p>I felt that common salt was so stable I never saw any effect from adding it to anything, and quickly gave up on trying to use it. Most of the salted paper methods seemed to use other forms of salts. I remember reading some story about sea water used in a historic process, but I never got anywhere with common table salt.</p>

<p>Heh, good point, Kelly. Salt... vinegar... does sound more like pickling than processing. Tho' I've never used salt for any homebrewed developers, other than sodium carbonate.</p>

<p>BTW, I have switched back to indicator stop bath from distilled white vinegar. No particular reason other than a move to a small apartment. The concentrate takes up less space than the gallons of distilled white vinegar I used to keep for stop bath, cleaning lime scale from the pipes and occasionally making pickles.</p>