5D Battery Grip - Ruined tripod socket

abdul smith

<p>Today I ruined my tripod socket on my battery grip (BG-E4). 1/2 a piece of an adapter broke off while tightening the camera onto a clamp, and it is now lodged halfway into the battery grip socket. i've tried to get it out using the Pilot Hole/Screw Extractor method, but alas no success. Has anyone ever had this piece replaced? I was hoping when I unscrewed the small plate on the bottom of the battery grip it would reveal a completely replaceable plate/socket combo, but alas the socket was still there. <br>

I need the grip for another client shoot tomorrow afternoon, so i'm contemplating driving to jersey first thing in the morning to see If they have a replacement socket, but i'm curious if this is user replaceable?<br>

any help will be much appreciated.<br>

thanks<br>

-abdul</p>

<p>It doesn't sound like the broken-off piece is preventing you from hand-holding the grip (right?), and when you're mounting on a tripod, a grip can actually destabilize things a bit ... so just take it off. That would get you through your shoot, I'd expect.</p>

<p>i've had the camera for 2.5 years, and have never used it without the grip. my hands are big(ger), and ergonomically the grip is much more comfortable for me, so using it without is not really an option. Especially on a paying job with a new client. <br>

Might be halfway psychological, but I see myself driving down to Jamesburg, NJ from Brooklyn at 8am in the morning before I see myself going into this shoot without the battery grip.<br>

Thanks for the suggestion though.</p>

<p>I'm only talking about removing it when you're working on the tripod. Off the tripod, it won't really matter that the socket isn't an option, so re-attach for that part of the job. Only takes a moment, and better than rushing a trip like that on a day when you've got a gig you should be thinking about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>so using it without is not really an option.</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don't really need to rely on any grip to shoot an assignment. It is mind over matter. It is amazing what one can accomplish if one puts their mind on the subject at hand.</p>

<p>I'm sure that's true Peter, but for both the short and long haul, i'd really like to know if this is a user replaceable part, and if anyone has done it. Of course with a little more patience i'll find out in just under 9 hours, but If i can get a definite yes from someone that has done it, i'd probably be more likely to hop on the road at 7 so I can be at Canon at 8am or shortly thereafter to pick up a replacement socket.<br>

I know the grip isnt responsible for my photography, but I consider it a dear friend at this point. :)</p>

<p>What's the adapter bolt made of? It must be plastic. It couldn't be very strong to break off inside a threaded socket. Get a very small 1/8" wide flat blade screwdriver. File the tip to a sharp wedge. Tap the blade into to bottom of the stuck piece of bolt and then unscrew it. You already drilled a hole in the bolt for your screw extractor idea. (I wonder why that didn't work? Did you use a small square extractor? It has sharper edges that the spiral ones made for bolts and studs.)</p>

<p>Be careful not to drive the extractor into the plastic too much because it will spread it jamming the bolt all the more. Did you use a drop of WD-40 or something like it to try to lubricate the threads?</p>

<p>Test your macro skills. Post a photo of the damage to show a body what's going on. </p>

<p>To add to that, the battery door wouldn't need to go on in an indoor tripod session anyway. Especially if the camera normally has the battery grip on... just pop it off for the brief time it goes on the tripod (put a battery in first, just in case you're absentminded), and once you're done, revert to prior arrangement.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>would also require me bringing the battery door latch</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Every battery grip I have (for xxD and Rebel, my 5D is too large for me with the grip) the grip has a place next to the upright thingie that goes in where the battery is, which is to store the battery compartment door. If you are not doing that, you should or the darn lid is going to get separated from everything else.</p>

<p>First, clamp the grip securely in a vise (use adequate padding), socket hole up, (do not over tighten). If you can, drill a tiny hole off-center on a flat section of the broken piece which is stuck down in the grip. Then insert the tip of a hardened tool like a nail punch into the tiny hole you just drilled. While holding the nail punch vertically tap the side of the punch in a counterclock-wise direction gently with a small hammer or wrench. A drop of a product called Liquid-Wrench fluid might help. If the top of the broken piece is close to the top of the hole you may be able to get a bit of an angle on the punch to hasten the counterclock-wise movement.<br>

If this fails your next step would be a trip to a camera repair shop or a jewler. This isn't a critical, delicate maneuver involving electronics or optics so it shouldn't cost much. </p>

<p>thanks all for the suggestions. unfortunately, as John Markanich suggests its probably time for a trip to the camera repair shop.. i've tried the screw extractor method, (first drilling a pilot head, then tapping in a reverse threaded screw and screwing counterclockwise) and as you can see from the picture below, unfortunately after drilling all the way through the broken piece, I have still been unable to get the piece lose/dislodged. It seems to be in there pretty snugly...<br>

i also tried a small flat-head screwdriver, but that was not successful either. I called canon, and they said they would be able to supply the part, however it would not come with a schematic for installation, and im not sure i feel too confident ripping apart my battery grip. <br>

Also went to Phototech repair shop in NYC (across from B&H), and they said they needed to order a new socket, and it would be a few days, and a $60/charge. I'm quite sure if I take it to Canon the repair will be cheaper, plus a quicker turnaround. </p>

<p> </p><div>00W8iL-233715584.thumb.jpg.d67495b8cba350f32b1df0f1839d700f.jpg</div>

<p>The photo shows that you have made quite a neat job of drilling the broken piece of screw. Why not re- drill with larger drills until you reach the inner diameter of the threads? At that point you should be able to prise out the remaining part of the screw. There's not really anything to lose by doing this, if the alternative is a new socket anyhow.</p>