Adobe CS5 on the way

<p>Bill;<br /> raw conversions are on CS3 and CS2 also.<br>

<br /> At some point Abobe on each version draws a line and only puts the "new stuff" with updates in the newer version of Photoshop.<br>

<br /> Thus if in 2011 you buy an Acme 1000 dlsr; it might use acmeraw3.23; and its only in CS5 and not CS4. Or maybe they allow it on CS4 too; but not CS3 or CS2.</p>

<p><br /> ie Adobe only updates so far; to get folkd to buy a newer version.</p>

<p>Photoshop is running out of do dads to add; thus raw allows a get way for folks to have to buy a new version.</p>

<p>Here I started with version 2; you installed it with a few floppies</p>

<p>There is Adobe's raw converter, DNG. It is and always has been free. It converts everyone's raw files pretty much from the day a new camera is issued. You can always use the camera maker's raw converter which, on more and more cameras, is Adobe's free DNG converter. You don't have to buy anything from Adobe you don't want to buy. This really is a non-issue.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There is Adobe's raw converter, DNG. It is and always has been free. It converts everyone's raw files pretty much from the day a new camera is issued.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. And if the damn camera manufactures would stop building proprietary raw formats for every new camera, forcing Adobe and <strong>all other </strong>raw converter manufacturers from having to hack into the format to support the processing, everyone, especially we customers would be far better off. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>yeah, people are easy on the gun to blame Adobe... but they didtn realize that is the camera manufacturer that keep changing the format of is camera.. good thing Adobe try to follow them as much as they can. You can always use DPP or Caputre for your raw need dont forget that ; )</p>

<p>As for the upgrade, again, no one force anyone to do so... if you are comfortable with what you have, stay with it. Maybe a good upgrade for most user here would be Ligthroom 3 and keep a old copy of Photoshop in need? I will get CS5 the minutes its out because it should be 64 bit Intel Native for Mac, and because i give workshop on Photoshop.. so for me its a thing to do.. every 18 month ; )</p>

<p>Adobe has made excellent enhancements to its ACR over the years. ACR 5.x in CS4 is miles better than ACR 4 and lightyears better than ACR 3 in CS2. ACR 3 is a rather crude tool.</p>

<p>On/after April 12 I'll be upgrading quickly -- I am running 64-bit Photoshop now (CS4) and will appreciate a fresh new release. It's nice to keep pace. Good times. If the upgrade price is $250 or lower it's certainly money well spent and easily "worth it."</p>

<p>Im running CS3 64 bit Photoshop now and it works just fine.<br>

As Ive been running software on systems since CPM, back in 74/75 have learned to stop buying new Software, and never buy it till its out at least a year. Basically companies are using us as Guinia Pigs to test their software. When enough complaints come in, they Put out Fixes. My time is worth too much to put up with that.</p>