Noob Here...

kevin_wood4

<p>Hey Everyone.... I just bought a Canon SX10 IS, and I am new to photography. A few things to start with...</p>

<p>Any tips, like/dislikes, comments, anything on the camera?<br>

Would a higher class SDHC Card make Continuous shooting faster?</p>

<p>Thanks everyone :)</p>

<p>Kevin,<br>

We're all n00bs in one way or another. Doesn't matter. Take your camera, and enjoy it. Don't worry too much about the camera, but first and most important, enjoy photography.</p>

<p>That's all. I don't own an SX10 and even if I had one, what I like or dislike could be utterly irrelevant for you. The main thing is to use it, get your own feel for it. Take photos of things you like to see, and as you see them. That tip always works, regardless of camera ;-)</p>

<p>Continuous shooting won't be much faster with faster SDHC camera, at best it will slow down less after the first burst of shots.</p>

<p>Hi Kevin,<br>

A higher quality card would not necessarily mean continuous shooting is faster, but a faster card would certainly achieve that to an extent. Your camera might have a buffer of sorts if there is an internal memory. That in itself might not be speeding up with new faster card, but it might help. The Lexar and Sandisk Extreme cards seem to get good reviews here. I have no need for speed personally, so tend to buy larger card for less money.<br>

If you are new to photography it might be an idea to read the manual inside out! Please don't feel that I am being patronising here but you could find out so much about photography and the capability of your camera from reading the manual alone. Since you are new to the world of photography, it is possible that some concepts mentioned in the manual might not make sense. That would be the time to type in such terms in the search string here or in google. If you are totally out of depth, ask a question here.<br>

It is a good camera from what I have read. Ultimately, you would want to use the manual control more as you get acquainted with photography to suit your own style.</p>

<p>I've owned an SX10 for over a year or so, have over 12K shots on it, so I use in most of the time. I also have a Canon XSi DSLR and six lenses, but the smaller SX10 is more practical for most everyday family shots and for hauling around. I save the DSLR for "serious" shots.</p>

<p>I find the swivel LCD very useful a lot of the time, being able to hold the camera low down and in odd spaces where I could not get with it up to my eye. I can also use the Canon 430EX from my DSLR with it, works seamlessly.</p>

<p>I also use the exposure compensation capability quite often, as the changes can be seen in the LCD viewfinder.</p>

<p>And don't overlook the video capability, it works pretty good and is nice to have it available for special times. It also has all the capabilities of larger cameras - shutter and aperture priority, manual, etc.</p>

<p>Shoot a lot and learn!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you pay attention to what the camera is doing for you as you shoot in "automatic" modes, you will learn what you can do to alter results by changing exposure, and all the other fine points.</p>

<p>First shoot - then figure out what went wrong so it won't happen again. That's a great way, though not the only way, to learn.</p>

<p>I had an SX10 IS. It's the next best thing to a DSLR and certainly capable of very high quality results. It has its limits. It has a lot of noise at high ISO's. It responds slower than a DSLR and its electronic viewfinder is not as good as a DSLR's optical viewfinder. It's limited to the one lens. On the other hand, it's smaller, lighter, and its lens covers a very wide range from wideangle to long telephoto.</p>

<p>My advice to any newbie is to read the camera's manual, get a good basic photography book, shoot a lot of pictures, and ask a lot of questions. For the book, I recommend any of several by John Hedgecoe or Bryan Peterson's new guide book, but there are many other good ones.</p>