Canon 50 1.8

daniel_jones7

<p>The image used is misleading (it does say it is not the actual image!). The lens being sold here is the</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... original 50mm f1.8 lens, with a metal lens mount, distance scale (the window!) and seperate manual focus ring (all of which the current version lack).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_data.php?lensID=178</p>

<blockquote>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>That sounds a bit expensive for the original 50 f/1.8, but it’s not terribly out of line.</p>

<p>The appeal of the new 50 f/1.8 is that it’s all of $90. Image quality is, for all practical

purposes, identical to the old. The old has much superior build quality, though it’s not like the

new is especially fragile (even if it feels like it is).</p>

<p>Personally, I think that if I were going to spend $240 on a fast 50, I’d much rather spend

$265 on the 50 f/2.5 macro. If you can do without that extra stop, you get image quality that leaves

every other 50 in the dust. I mean, wooly forking sheep, that thing is sharp! Great color, absolutely zero

distortion, too.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>I sold a mint 50 1.8 with ES-65 hood for $225 and people were fighting over it. An actual MF ring, DOF scale, distance scale, metal mount and more sturdy build bring a premium. Mechanically it is more robust than the many fabled EF 50 1.4 USM.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I am a newbie to SLR photography, but did treat myself to a 50 1.8 Mark 1. I do think they are a bit pricey at times - I have been tracking them for 2 or 3 months mow, but managed to get one for £113GPB in absolutely mint condition. It only came this week so hoping to try it out tomorrow.<br>

Exciting times!</p>

"I guess a lot of photographers are willing to pay for the better build and focus window"

Mines has the metal mount and it's still very flimsy. I could imagine what the Mk II feels like. Now that I think about it, mine came with my first canon Camera the Elan II, which I paid $300 for. I think all the hype about this being such a sweet lens jacked up the price.

<p>My 50mm 1.8 I is 22 years old and still going strong. I find the lens to be as good quality as many of the non "L" primes.<br>

You may want to look for a canon 650 or other early EOS, Sometimes you will find the 50mm 1.8 I sold attached/included with this camera. I bought mine this way through E-bay about 6 years ago, for about $65 shipped.<br>

I have seen this lens sold on craigslist too. Just keep your eyes open if it is on your wish list. Though I must say in the last 4 years it seems that this lens keeps climbing up in price, and popularity.</p>

<p>Hey Guys! Wondered if you could help. I just got my new Mark 1 lens out and have noticed that the manual focus ring turns round and round forever with no stopping point. Is this supposed to be the case - I would be really upset if it was broken. I haven't tried it on the camera yet, so don't know what it looks like through the viewfinder whilst focusing manually.<br>

PLEASE BRING ME GOOD NEWS!</p>

<p>@ Barnaby<br>

When the focus switch is set to AF, the focus ring will rotate smoothly to infinity in both directions. The focus ring does not rotate during AF. Also, the focus ring rotates freely.<br>

When the focus switch is set to MF, the focus ring will rotate from infinity to 1.5ft (.45m) smoothly and then if you turn it further will become stiff to turn. It seems to have a clutch instead of a stop. Only in MF will the focus window turn by the focus ring.</p>