When is your lens outfit complete ?

hjoseph7

<blockquote>

<p>1. General-purpose zoom.<br />2. Fast normal prime.<br />3. Telephoto zoom.<br />4. Macro.<br />5. Ultrawide.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hm, I know you're referring to Canon (I use Nikon), but that's just about my *exact* goal for a lens collection. My current collection is Nikon Kit 18-55 VR (general zoom), Nikon 35 f/1.8 (fast normal prime x1.5 for APS-C), Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR (telephoto zoom), and a Tamron 10-24mm (ultrawide). The last lens on that list that I want is a macro, not sure which one yet, but I'm eyeing the Tamron 90mm. I will probably rent a few macros and play with them to see how I feel about the focal length. After that, I will probably upgrade the general-purpose zoom to get f/2.8 on it, and I hope I'll be done! Until I get a new camera body that opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I don't want too many though. If I'm on a hiking trip and I'm ruining my back, there's no point.</p>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Thanks Philip. The great thing about that 5-lens "core combo" is it gives you every <em>creative</em> option for focal length (i.e., even longer lenses have practical applications, but represent diminishing returns from an aesthetic standpoint), low-light/blurred background capability that works for portraits (loose portraits, at least) and general/street photography, and the ability to capture subjects of whatever scale (from large interiors/buildings/landscapes to tiny insects).</p>

<p>Of course we can start expanding the list to include "fast super-telephoto" for sports, "tilt-shift" for landscape/products, etc. But my goal was to outline the most versatility for the least investment, or alternatively a "do-everything" kit that fits in a Domke F2.</p>

<p>My lens outfit will be complete when I'll stop encountering situations that make me say: "Darn! The things that I could do if only I had <em>that</em> lens!".<br>

I'm already very satisfied with what I have: a wideangle (24 2.8), a fast normal (50 1.8), a macro/telephoto (100 2.8) and a general zoom (24-105). The only things I'm missing are a better quality wideangle (I'm not entirely satisfied with the 24) and a longer telephoto (I'm thinking about that 200 2.8 or one of the 70-200).</p>

<p>I don't really have a lens collection. I have lenses that I use (which are currently a 20, two 50s, and a 28 for my Canon); I don't feel like my collection is incomplete since those suit my current needs. I don't have much desire to own a lens of every focal length.</p>

<p>Guitars are a different story. You can never have too many guitars.</p>

<p>There comes a time when you want to buy something but dont know what. It means that you have everything you need. I look at my setup sometimes and wonder what else would I want? then after a while I tell myself, that I got all the stuff I need for what I shoot and untill I will need to get something else, I consider my setup completed. Yes there is an urge to get more stuff, but I try to knock those thoughts out of my brain. ;-).</p>

<p>If the equipment is Canon . . . then everything that will take a 1:1 Macro to 1200mm super zoom!<br>

Of course they should all either be the "off white" in color or have the "red line" around the barrel!<br>

Somewhere in there . . . one should be able to take about any type photo their heart desires . . . at least until the "newest" "L" comes along!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Guitars are a different story. You can never have too many guitars."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And I thought I was "special" in having Photography as my first hobby, and probably the only person that liked both photography and "guitar collecting!"</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My main working lens are my Nifty 50 and 85mm 1.8 but I also have a 185mm 1.7 Zeiss (DDR) that I like to bring out from time to time...its in perfect working order but manual and massive so not practical to use that frequently. I rent lens when needed for phoot shoots. What i'm looking to invest in is a 24-70 2.8L and 70-200mm 2.8. All in due time...<br>

Happy Shooting!<br>

D</p>

<p>when i'm broke.<br>

the lens i have with me at the time is what makes it complete.<br>

i wouldn't say it's a collection. More like I have lenses that cover what I like to photograph. I have the tools to do my job (or hobby). So if something new comes out that i think will be an asset and great addition to my toolbox then i'll get it. I haven't bought any lenses since last year. Sure there are lenses that I want, but i don't need them.<br>

it's like asking, when are u done filling up your garage with tools - well if a job comes along and i don't have the right screwdriver, then i'll be going to home depot.</p>

<p>In addition to my Canon lenses, I have been experimenting with Zeiss, Pentacon, Jupiter primes, and just about anything I can get my hands on (with the requisite adapters, of course). I just like to play with glass, I guess. Oh, I forgot: I also have an old manual focus Nikon 600 f/4 that is also dear to my heart--and works fine on Canon EOS bodies. I got it cheap on eBay and have never regretted it. Another favorite is a Zeiss 85 f/1.4 that I got from Australia which came with an auto-confirm adapter on the manual focus.</p>

<p>There is some far-out stuff out there if one likes the instant feedback of the EOS digitals and is willing to put up with a little trouble experimenting with older non-Canon glass.</p>

<p>Frankly, though, I don't really need all this stuff and could really make a good case for simplifying my life by getting rid of at least half of it. Most of my shooting is still done with the first two EOS lenses that I bought: the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and the 24-70L zooms.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I've reached a similar plateau. However, when I have mastered my current equipment I will probably look for new horizons. I have yet to work in full frame or extreme low ISO. I doubt I will ever go pro so the very high end stuff is not a real consideration. And of course there's always the allure of new technolog. I suppose if I won lotto I would buy one of everything, but till then I'm happy with my current outfit.</p>

<p>If you have all the lenses\gear you need: You are no longer pushing the envelope.<br>

Ask your favorite mechanic when he\she has enough tools: HA! NEVER! (more invested than their house and still buying)<br>

Then there's guitars, they take up more room than lenses to be sure, but its worth adding another room on your house. And buying both houses next door so yur neibors don't complain about the sound level. HeHeHe been there dun that....... moved outta town.<br>

Well have fun collecting and using what you collect. Its worthless if you ain't using it.<br>

Best Wishes to ALL<br>

wlt</p>

<p>It's hard to covet that which you have never tried.....so, go to your nearest rental place and get a copy of the 17 TS, 35/1.4, 200/2.0, or anything 300+. You will be back knocking on Canons door before you know it. </p>