Photographer Banned

<blockquote>

<p>Reasons why the employee may want the photo deleted, I forget that I have to connect the dots. The employee may have wanted them deleted because she may have violating the law or a company policy. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is actually not relevant to the rights in question, but no, it is not illegal to smoke where she was smoking in Vermont. This can easily be looked up instead of just throwing it out there.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />What are you discussing? I am supporting the right of the photographer to take photos as allowed by law, and against absolute right of private property owners to bar from entering who ever they please.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Those are two different things. First, right of the photographer to photograph: Yes, since he was on a public sidewalk. Second, right of the business owner to bar people from entering: Yes, they have this right. I fully support the guy's right to take photos, and I also fully support the shop owners' rights to bar him from the shops for doing so. See, it all works out and everybody has their rights.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The reason why I have such strong feeling is because that is the rationale that was used to keep Blacks, Mexicans, and others from entering "Private Places" like restaurants, and other places of business. But the churches did it also, we had them here, Mexicans go here, Whites go here.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And this is why it is good that we have anti-discrimination laws. Discrimination based on race, creed and ethnicity is an ugly mark on our society and it is important that we have worked to stop it, and continue to do so. But none of this is what the photographer's case is about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, I have strong feeling about such absolute property rights, in fact a little trip to the civil war and you will find that the South objected to the taking of property “slaves” without compensation. Slaves were worth a lot of money to the owners. Yes, I have strong feeling about it and I am not ashamed about my strong feelings.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Another ugly mark that we spent painful years working to correct. It was an unfortunate truth that at that time it was legal to own a person, and as such property rights were applicable. The solution was not to abolish property rights but to make it illegal to own a person, and remove their status as property. You should have strong feelings against slavery, and nobody here will deny that you are correct; however, this is not relevant to the photographer's case. Owning a store is quite a different thing from owning a person; it is legal to own a store, and property rights regarding a store that one owns are legit and enforceable.</p>

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Manuel: That aspect of the Civil War wasn't about taking away the human property in the southern states. It was about establishing the fact that they weren't property in the first place. Categorizing people as property was badly, fundamentally incorrect. Just like it still is, right now, in the places around the world where it's still regularly practiced.<br /><br />Categorizing a person's actual property (like their home, or where they have established their business) as, well ... property ... isn't really up for debate and needing to end (as slavery was). Pretending that those two completely unrelated notions are somehow the same, and that citing them together somehow reinforces whatever point you're trying to make, is not working. That a bunch of unreformed slave-holding southern colonials had to be violently jarred into the 19th century where they could realize that holding slaves wasn't the same as holding actual property has <em>nothing</em> to do with the rights guaranteed to <em>actual</em> property holders. <br /><br />It only makes sense for you keep bringing that up if what you're trying to do is oh-so-slowly sneak up on the notion that people should not be allowed to own - or at least control - their property at all. The fabulous irony, there, is that by making a property owner unable to say how they and their property will be used, you're making <em>them</em> into slaves. Slaves to whoever claims unfettered access to their restrooms, slaves to the whims of whoever would solicit or proselytize on their property, and so on.<br /><br />Which is it? Does the person who owns the property dictate its use, or is that person and their property instead owned by whoever walks in the door?</p>

<p>I read above that the subject photographer 'gave up photography'.<br>

I read a link to an article where he said he 'put away his cameras'.<br>

Those are two entirely different things.<br>

I would not count him out; he sounds like a dedicated street photographer.<br>

His posted photo in 'The Consumerist' that caused the stink is hardly offensive at all -- the woman who complained would be counted as a 'crazy' in my book. (my opinion 'in quotes')<br>

Her getting him 'banned' for having taken that photo was way overboard . . . especially in light of what he has to say about the situation.<br>

I note that in one quote in 'The Consumerist' the photographer notes that when the subject photographer once was faced by someone jeering him presumably telling him he must delete,, he just fired away his camera, multiple frames. </p>

<p>The notation suggests we are somehow supposed to feel 'ill' about him because he is 'pushing the boundaries' as though he were somehow 'being 'aggressive'.<br>

I am not so sure, actually, as I read it.<br>

Faced with a highly controlling, yelling individual who seeks to tell me what to do, I cannot say that is not something I would rule out if otherwise I were protected (man not armed, in a public place. highly visible, man otherwise 'in control', other than yelling, outrageous behavior and maybe he 'upper or upper middle class and apparently not about to 'deck me').<br>

Frankly no one has a right to control your behavior by coming up to you and yell and jeer at you.<br>

There come times (however regrettably and as seldom as absolutely possible and when every escape mechanism fails you, that then you must make a stand), but my original advice still holds -- whenever such situations develop try to reason first with such individuals when possible, try the 'shoe on the other foot' argument (noted above) that I posited, try when someone doesn't push you into a corner, to exit peacefully provided that person is not trying to humiliate you publicly into doing just that . . . . . and in the end, if they are trying to do that . . . . it may help to take one or a series of photos of them and their behavior.<br>

Most digital cameras have the modern equivalent of 'motor drive', and anyone who thinks they can control you or me by yelling at you or me when in a public place deserves to have their belligerent recorded when they tell me close up and aggressively what to do with MY photos. <br>

At eight frames a second, though not in the face, and from a 'safe' distance, provided that person's not sticking his face into mine.<br>

That rapid-fire photography, by the way, is not as aggressive as it may sound, at first read.<br>

If it's clear the guy was going to take a punch at you, you'd already have ducked behind bystanders and tried to exit. And asking the bystanders for shelter and their intervention. often is a good alternative if no exit is possible; sometimes goodhearted people will intervene, especially if the other person's behavior is really outrageous or obscene.<br>

If it appears he respects authority, then by taking a sequence of photos, you may have just made excellent evidence of outrageous behavior -- his harassing you from close range, especially if you're turning away and firing over your shoulder, or your outstretched arm is seen holding him/her off. as he/she is pursuing you or bearing down on you.<br>

Moreover, once such a person realizes their behavior is truly memorialized and it is outrageous appearing, it generally tends to calm the harasser down . . . . even though they may completely deny that. <br>

They may continue 'harassing' behavior, but they almost certainly will not take it any further, even if originally they were so inclined, once they know they're in a photo or series of photos shown being belligerent. <br>

Photography of belligerents can be helpful in such situations to control the aggressive behavior of the 'social arbiter' who would control you in your peaceful quest for a telling street photo.<br>

They may protest and threaten, but once you've got their photo showing them misbehaving against you, their behavior either will calm down or you'd best be on your cell phone dialing 911 or yelling for police at your loudest voice; maybe running if you have good sense.<br>

Remember, in a jackpot, police can be YOUR best friend . . . they generally know what your rights are, and generally are willing to respect you if you are not being aggressive . . . . they may tell you personally and privately later they dislike what you do taking photos, but if they're professional they'll protect you and your right to take those photos.<br>

This applies in the US, in Western Europe, and even in Ukraine. Some municipal/campus/smaller governments in the USA do not train their officers so well. Some also are havens for officers who got kicked off forces elsewhere for not 'following standards' (rogue cops) that may even have been involved in past major offenses that just avoided them having to serve prison time - even major scandals that got them booted off a force, so a US citizen and resident cannot universally say that ALL cops every time will be helpful. It's just a good general rule in the year 2010.<br>

It was not a good rule in the year 1946 and for much of the Eisenhower years; in a number of cities, if you were black, Chinese, (or otherwise Oriental), were of one race and had a spouse of another, were of one race and were in a neighborhood predominantly occupied by those of another race -e.g., a black in Boston's Southie, etc., and lots of different Southern neighborhoods . . . . etc.. <br>

Being 'vagrant' (not having money or a 'visible' job) was often enough to get you then thrown into jail at a cop's whim. Even 'suspicion of vagrancy' was enough to send you to jail if a cop didn't like you. Often if was a smokescreen for for discrimination, or sometimes for the cop's exercising 'power' over you, if he took a dislike to you for any reason.<br>

There were times in my lifetime that there literally were NO real constitutional guarantees for vast segments of our population unless they had a large amount of money to enforce their rights, and even then they would mostly get passed over. <br>

Of those who might be highly educated, sometimes even wealthy, Jews could not get hired at prestigious NYC and other major city law firms, for instance, despite the best credentials from best law schools when the best law schools finely started admitting Jewish students.<br>

Blacks could not get into law school at all, in general, and in rare instances where they did, could not get work, except privately employed, serving blacks only.<br>

There were really no 'good old days' regarding Constitutional protections. <br>

These are the 'good old days' to which some may look back someday, and we're under threat now.<br>

In the US, and most Western European countries, it's a good general rule to say, it's best to turn to a cop for protection against such a harasser, and simply ask the cop for 'guidance'. Not an 'arrest' but 'guidance' and to 'keep the peace'.<br>

The rule on the street for the 'street photographer' as I view it is to behave impeccably even if sometimes that means furtively and surreptitiously to get that shot. <br>

Once you have that shot, you can wink or wave at a bystander who might give a wink back in approval, (or the subject,) or even approach a subject with a good to great shot, and most will shake hands, exchange information or even, surprisingly, sometimes even embrace you!<br>

I just got back from an afternoon/evening of shooting, where I didn't start out at all feeling inspired, but was able really to stick my wide angle lens right up almost into the eyeballs of about six to eight street subjects for outdoor 'street/environmental' portraits that are simply some of the best I've ever taken.<br>

Not one complained, and hoots of 'Sveta, (in Russian) come over here and see!'; (my captures, illuminated on my camera) were common/same from male subjects . . . . with their colleagues.<br>

One of the best tricks is to take ONE good photo of someone who might be well known in an area, that is so close it has to have been taken with permission, get the person's name (if you speak the language) then show it to the next potential subject you want to do a close-up street shot of.<br>

In fact, today/tonight (Thursday) it got to the point where I didn't even say anything. I would approach someone -- in one instance a man talking on a mobile phone animatedly and lighting a cigarette, mouth the word (in Russian) 'Ya photograph.' (I am a photographer) illuminate my screen, show a really really good shot from the previous ten minutes' shooting showing someone nearby, then point to him, then to my camera and say 'moishna?' which means 'may I?' as he talked away on his mobile phone with one hand and his cigarette and lighter with another.<br>

He nodded agreement, almost imperceptibly.<br>

I quickly composed a photo, converted it in camera to black and white and then showed it to him.<br>

He finished his phone conversation, we shook hands, and he went away, and said on parting congratulatory words to me about the photo.<br>

Really, in essence, only one word was spoken to get me less than a foot from this stranger's eye on which I was focusing for some of my several shots (same for almost all shots tonight).<br>

(In others, i did some banter with individuals, and they referred me to neighbor shopkeepers, helpers, relatives, friends, observers, etc. One rule is clear, if you get in a tangle with one, the others are not your friends . . . they are near each other every day in such a place as this bazaar, and even if they personally don't like each other . . . they won't cooperate with someone a neighboring counter person has a tangle with.' Best to treat it as a 'game' and be kind and all. <br>

IF someone declines take it with equanimity . . . not like the declined hitchhiker, who, passed by, flips you off.<br>

Street manners take a great deal of time to build up and it is easy to 'get into a jackpot' with just one person who has a 'trick personality'.<br>

Who knows when a photo subject had an abortion that morning (or a miscarriage) or a fight with her husband or significant other -- or her child ran away from home (or school, (or thratens to) , and finds herself (or himself) glaring at your lens, say, while smoking, trying to relieve life's pressures.<br>

Tempers of some individuals at times (even mine at times) may have a low boiling point.<br>

A good trick is never go on the street with anything but feelings of equanimity . . . and it seems there is no evidence our subject photographer here violated this general good tenet.<br>

I still have not read or seen anything about this individual photographer that suggests that he was guilty of anything other than repeating his exposure to a limited area, and thus becoming a lightning rod . . . . and guess what? <br>

Lightning predictably struck. <br>

I'll even bet he's flabbergasted, if he was on good behavior. I'd be willing to wager he probably had 'friends' nearby he shared his captures with, too -- I would have had some.<br>

(They would have been of no avail, as this universal trespass order has no review and no appeal.)<br>

He told 'The Consumerist' he 'put away his cameras.'<br>

I don't think it's 'for good' and I hope it's not. (at least based on what I've learned so far).<br>

Based solely on what I've read (I might change my mind if I knew more . . . . . but the record is devoid of anything horrendous that might suggest he really was engaged in anything 'creepy' at all).<br>

Anyone is free to use the word 'creepy' when describing someone whose behavior they object to.<br>

It's a loaded word, with connotations of sexual impropriety, yet in this context, is is apparently used wrongly, there is no word in the links of any behavior that actually is 'creepy'. <br>

Look at one of Bob Kurt's recent posts (obese man peering over sill from outdoors into window with women wearing two-piece outfits if you want to see 'creepy' behavior . . . . )<br>

Many posters have seized on the word, (creep) to suggest that the photographer needed to work on his manners, without having first viewed the photo that started the ban.<br>

That photo has been been linked now, and it's a photo I might easily have taken (not that I'd care to post it, but then again I take hundreds of thousands of photos and surely some are offensive to some people just due to law of averages, even though I try to be the best street representative and best citizen on the street that I can be.<br>

I'd have to know more to hear or learn of any behavior that's supposed to be 'creepy'.<br>

As to the word 'furtive', let's look at it.<br>

'Furtive' is a word that best describes one part of the street photographer's grab bag of photographic devices. Not all such photos are taken 'furtively' but some are.<br>

Some must be taken that way.<br>

t helps if taking photos 'furtively' to enlist the help of passersby good naturedly; if you spy a wonderful situation and others might be tempted to tell the subject.<br>

Smile widely to the passerby who might 'give you away', wink, and put a finger to your mouth (to indicate 'be quiet' and enjoy the moment -- or the humor). If you get something good, you may want to share your capture with that person (or even the subject). <br>

One woman I implored to take her photograph today (I had to ask because I wanted to get in REAL close) declined because her 'makeup was not right', and she wanted to be photographed wearing another, prettier dress. She was a 50+ obese seller of unrefrigerated meat on a stone counter in an open-air bazaar . . . and her vanity prevented me from getting a 'true' photo of her; she wanted to be depicted as if she were a wedding guest or going to church.<br>

That's why pure 'street' captures are best 'candid' - nearly everyone will change their expression, their behavior, often their clothes and at least straighten their hair if they could, and so on, unless they are unaware of being photographed. <br>

It's a perpetual challenge . . . . for the true street photographer to get true, realistic 'candid' shots.<br>

Along with such shots, I also take 'informal street portraits or environmental photos' in which subjects are aware of me, but are asked only minimally to cooperate, and otherwise to go about their business while I record it.<br>

Some photos just are impossible to get by asking permission; absolutely impossible. If permission were ever asked, the photo would not exist, and that includes a large part of my portfolio, in part because subjects are in crowds, too far away, I don't speak their language, and myriad reasons other than trying to 'steal' the souls of my subjects.<br>

I want to capture interesting 'life as it is' not life as others would like to project it, or censor it to me. I want to capture uncensored 'looks' and 'behavior' or it is just theater and therefore useless to me.<br>

Most often others see the same things I see, but don't see the significance, the minutiae or have the ability to understand and/or record that thing/moment.<br>

I try also to record those instants artfully when when I can, which calls for equipment bigger than a camera phone.<br>

I have hard drives full of photos of 'instances' that are interesting but not artful enough to show to anyone.<br>

There are anti-photography advocates out there, just as there are anti-smoking, anti-alcohol and anti-fur activists. They often are not organized, acting individually, but they can be highly vocal if they're in the wrong mood. I think that's what the subject photographer ran into, and in a most unusual situation.<br>

Sometimes if the anti-photography advocates know you'll be around, they hang around and wait for you, their script at the ready, ready to fire off a complaint or 'set up a situation' of confrontation.<br>

Best to throw off their timing by varying your shooting, and not going the same place too often or at the same time.<br>

A benefit of this, is geographic variety often opens the street photographer's eyes.<br>

A detriment is (1) it kowtows to those who would control the photographer's rights, and (2) it prevents orderly and artful collection documenting 'life in the XXX area or community' over 'YYY period of time' as made from a 'street' perspective.<br>

Let's be clear, it is not always friendly to have a stranger's lens pointed at you, and as photographer I am continually aware of that. <br>

I once gave up photography in part because I became TOO sensitive to that.<br>

I take photos once again, and clandestinely at times (openly at others) furtively at times (not so at others), because I view it as my contribution to the world of ART. Not just some sport to annoy people but genuine ART.<br>

I understand the Lucie Awards were announced today; a friend of mine and mentor has a Lucie Award. He keeps telling me my work is high art. It's taken him a couple of years, but now I enthusiastically agree with him, after initial doubts.<br>

When I go out on the street, I no longer have any mixed feelings at all about what it is I do or how I go about it. I behave like a gentleman . . . photographer . . . not like stalkerazzi . . . . and do not behave in any way that would bring disrepute on photography in general in my eyes, given the exigencies of taking photos the way I do.<br>

I think I (as well as fellow photographers such as Bob Kurt mentioned earlier) and others, make a valuable contribution to the 'art' world. (we do NOT need that as an excuse however).<br>

We are not Alan Funts hiding out to make laughing stocks of people . . . but to illuminate others' behavior and looks for a lasting memorial for us all, of our own fallible and very interesting selves hopefully in an artistic way.<br>

I think it's best to let people think that the photographer here has 'hung up his cameras for good' when in fact he's just 'hung up his cameras' (for the time being) - at least I hope based on what I have learned so far.<br>

The very nature of 'street' photography means that it will be 'offensive' to a certain number of individuals, no matter what, at all times, no matter how wonderful the behavior of the 'street photographer' is.<br>

John (Crosley)<br>

<p>© 2010, John Crosley, All rights reserved.</p>

</p>

<p>I read above that the subject photographer 'gave up photography'.<br>

I read a link to an article where he said he 'put away his cameras'.<br>

Those are two entirely different things.<br>

I would not count him out; he sounds like a dedicated street photographer.<br>

His posted photo in 'The Consumerist' that caused the stink is hardly offensive at all -- the woman who complained would be counted as a 'crazy' in my book. (my opinion 'in quotes')<br>

Her getting him 'banned' for having taken that photo was way overboard . . . especially in light of what he has to say about the situation.<br>

I note that in one quote in 'The Consumerist' the photographer notes that when the subject photographer once was faced by someone jeering him presumably telling him he must delete,, he just fired away his camera, multiple frames. </p>

<p>The notation suggests we are somehow supposed to feel 'ill' about him because he is 'pushing the boundaries' as though he were somehow 'being 'aggressive'.<br>

I am not so sure, actually, as I read it.<br>

Faced with a highly controlling, yelling individual who seeks to tell me what to do, I cannot say that is not something I would rule out if otherwise I were protected (man not armed, in a public place. highly visible, man otherwise 'in control', other than yelling, outrageous behavior and maybe he 'upper or upper middle class and apparently not about to 'deck me').<br>

Frankly no one has a right to control your behavior by coming up to you and yell and jeer at you.<br>

There come times (however regrettably and as seldom as absolutely possible and when every escape mechanism fails you, that then you must make a stand), but my original advice still holds -- whenever such situations develop try to reason first with such individuals when possible, try the 'shoe on the other foot' argument (noted above) that I posited, try when someone doesn't push you into a corner, to exit peacefully provided that person is not trying to humiliate you publicly into doing just that . . . . . and in the end, if they are trying to do that . . . . it may help to take one or a series of photos of them and their behavior.<br>

Most digital cameras have the modern equivalent of 'motor drive', and anyone who thinks they can control you or me by yelling at you or me when in a public place deserves to have their belligerent recorded when they tell me close up and aggressively what to do with MY photos. <br>

At eight frames a second, though not in the face, and from a 'safe' distance, provided that person's not sticking his face into mine.<br>

That rapid-fire photography, by the way, is not as aggressive as it may sound, at first read.<br>

If it's clear the guy was going to take a punch at you, you'd already have ducked behind bystanders and tried to exit. And asking the bystanders for shelter and their intervention. often is a good alternative if no exit is possible; sometimes goodhearted people will intervene, especially if the other person's behavior is really outrageous or obscene.<br>

If it appears he respects authority, then by taking a sequence of photos, you may have just made excellent evidence of outrageous behavior -- his harassing you from close range, especially if you're turning away and firing over your shoulder, or your outstretched arm is seen holding him/her off. as he/she is pursuing you or bearing down on you.<br>

Moreover, once such a person realizes their behavior is truly memorialized and it is outrageous appearing, it generally tends to calm the harasser down . . . . even though they may completely deny that. <br>

They may continue 'harassing' behavior, but they almost certainly will not take it any further, even if originally they were so inclined, once they know they're in a photo or series of photos shown being belligerent. <br>

Photography of belligerents can be helpful in such situations to control the aggressive behavior of the 'social arbiter' who would control you in your peaceful quest for a telling street photo.<br>

They may protest and threaten, but once you've got their photo showing them misbehaving against you, their behavior either will calm down or you'd best be on your cell phone dialing 911 or yelling for police at your loudest voice; maybe running if you have good sense.<br>

Remember, in a jackpot, police can be YOUR best friend . . . they generally know what your rights are, and generally are willing to respect you if you are not being aggressive . . . . they may tell you personally and privately later they dislike what you do taking photos, but if they're professional they'll protect you and your right to take those photos.<br>

This applies in the US, in Western Europe, and even in Ukraine. Some municipal/campus/smaller governments in the USA do not train their officers so well. Some also are havens for officers who got kicked off forces elsewhere for not 'following standards' (rogue cops) that may even have been involved in past major offenses that just avoided them having to serve prison time - even major scandals that got them booted off a force, so a US citizen and resident cannot universally say that ALL cops every time will be helpful. It's just a good general rule in the year 2010.<br>

It was not a good rule in the year 1946 and for much of the Eisenhower years; in a number of cities, if you were black, Chinese, (or otherwise Oriental), were of one race and had a spouse of another, were of one race and were in a neighborhood predominantly occupied by those of another race -e.g., a black in Boston's Southie, etc., and lots of different Southern neighborhoods . . . . etc.. <br>

Being 'vagrant' (not having money or a 'visible' job) was often enough to get you then thrown into jail at a cop's whim. Even 'suspicion of vagrancy' was enough to send you to jail if a cop didn't like you. Often if was a smokescreen for for discrimination, or sometimes for the cop's exercising 'power' over you, if he took a dislike to you for any reason.<br>

There were times in my lifetime that there literally were NO real constitutional guarantees for vast segments of our population unless they had a large amount of money to enforce their rights, and even then they would mostly get passed over. <br>

Of those who might be highly educated, sometimes even wealthy, Jews could not get hired at prestigious NYC and other major city law firms, for instance, despite the best credentials from best law schools when the best law schools finely started admitting Jewish students.<br>

Blacks could not get into law school at all, in general, and in rare instances where they did, could not get work, except privately employed, serving blacks only.<br>

There were really no 'good old days' regarding Constitutional protections. <br>

These are the 'good old days' to which some may look back someday, and we're under threat now.<br>

In the US, and most Western European countries, it's a good general rule to say, it's best to turn to a cop for protection against such a harasser, and simply ask the cop for 'guidance'. Not an 'arrest' but 'guidance' and to 'keep the peace'.<br>

The rule on the street for the 'street photographer' as I view it is to behave impeccably even if sometimes that means furtively and surreptitiously to get that shot. <br>

Once you have that shot, you can wink or wave at a bystander who might give a wink back in approval, (or the subject,) or even approach a subject with a good to great shot, and most will shake hands, exchange information or even, surprisingly, sometimes even embrace you!<br>

I just got back from an afternoon/evening of shooting, where I didn't start out at all feeling inspired, but was able really to stick my wide angle lens right up almost into the eyeballs of about six to eight street subjects for outdoor 'street/environmental' portraits that are simply some of the best I've ever taken.<br>

Not one complained, and hoots of 'Sveta, (in Russian) come over here and see!'; (my captures, illuminated on my camera) were common/same from male subjects . . . . with their colleagues.<br>

One of the best tricks is to take ONE good photo of someone who might be well known in an area, that is so close it has to have been taken with permission, get the person's name (if you speak the language) then show it to the next potential subject you want to do a close-up street shot of.<br>

In fact, today/tonight (Thursday) it got to the point where I didn't even say anything. I would approach someone -- in one instance a man talking on a mobile phone animatedly and lighting a cigarette, mouth the word (in Russian) 'Ya photograph.' (I am a photographer) illuminate my screen, show a really really good shot from the previous ten minutes' shooting showing someone nearby, then point to him, then to my camera and say 'moishna?' which means 'may I?' as he talked away on his mobile phone with one hand and his cigarette and lighter with another.<br>

He nodded agreement, almost imperceptibly.<br>

I quickly composed a photo, converted it in camera to black and white and then showed it to him.<br>

He finished his phone conversation, we shook hands, and he went away, and said on parting congratulatory words to me about the photo.<br>

Really, in essence, only one word was spoken to get me less than a foot from this stranger's eye on which I was focusing for some of my several shots (same for almost all shots tonight).<br>

(In others, i did some banter with individuals, and they referred me to neighbor shopkeepers, helpers, relatives, friends, observers, etc. One rule is clear, if you get in a tangle with one, the others are not your friends . . . they are near each other every day in such a place as this bazaar, and even if they personally don't like each other . . . they won't cooperate with someone a neighboring counter person has a tangle with.' Best to treat it as a 'game' and be kind and all. <br>

IF someone declines take it with equanimity . . . not like the declined hitchhiker, who, passed by, flips you off.<br>

Street manners take a great deal of time to build up and it is easy to 'get into a jackpot' with just one person who has a 'trick personality'.<br>

Who knows when a photo subject had an abortion that morning (or a miscarriage) or a fight with her husband or significant other -- or her child ran away from home (or school, (or thratens to) , and finds herself (or himself) glaring at your lens, say, while smoking, trying to relieve life's pressures.<br>

Tempers of some individuals at times (even mine at times) may have a low boiling point.<br>

A good trick is never go on the street with anything but feelings of equanimity . . . and it seems there is no evidence our subject photographer here violated this general good tenet.<br>

I still have not read or seen anything about this individual photographer that suggests that he was guilty of anything other than repeating his exposure to a limited area, and thus becoming a lightning rod . . . . and guess what? <br>

Lightning predictably struck. <br>

I'll even bet he's flabbergasted, if he was on good behavior. I'd be willing to wager he probably had 'friends' nearby he shared his captures with, too -- I would have had some.<br>

(They would have been of no avail, as this universal trespass order has no review and no appeal.)<br>

He told 'The Consumerist' he 'put away his cameras.'<br>

I don't think it's 'for good' and I hope it's not. (at least based on what I've learned so far).<br>

Based solely on what I've read (I might change my mind if I knew more . . . . . but the record is devoid of anything horrendous that might suggest he really was engaged in anything 'creepy' at all).<br>

Anyone is free to use the word 'creepy' when describing someone whose behavior they object to.<br>

It's a loaded word, with connotations of sexual impropriety, yet in this context, is is apparently used wrongly, there is no word in the links of any behavior that actually is 'creepy'. <br>

Look at one of Bob Kurt's recent posts (obese man peering over sill from outdoors into window with women wearing two-piece outfits if you want to see 'creepy' behavior . . . . )<br>

Many posters have seized on the word, (creep) to suggest that the photographer needed to work on his manners, without having first viewed the photo that started the ban.<br>

That photo has been been linked now, and it's a photo I might easily have taken (not that I'd care to post it, but then again I take hundreds of thousands of photos and surely some are offensive to some people just due to law of averages, even though I try to be the best street representative and best citizen on the street that I can be.<br>

I'd have to know more to hear or learn of any behavior that's supposed to be 'creepy'.<br>

As to the word 'furtive', let's look at it.<br>

'Furtive' is a word that best describes one part of the street photographer's grab bag of photographic devices. Not all such photos are taken 'furtively' but some are.<br>

Some must be taken that way.<br>

t helps if taking photos 'furtively' to enlist the help of passersby good naturedly; if you spy a wonderful situation and others might be tempted to tell the subject.<br>

Smile widely to the passerby who might 'give you away', wink, and put a finger to your mouth (to indicate 'be quiet' and enjoy the moment -- or the humor). If you get something good, you may want to share your capture with that person (or even the subject). <br>

One woman I implored to take her photograph today (I had to ask because I wanted to get in REAL close) declined because her 'makeup was not right', and she wanted to be photographed wearing another, prettier dress. She was a 50+ obese seller of unrefrigerated meat on a stone counter in an open-air bazaar . . . and her vanity prevented me from getting a 'true' photo of her; she wanted to be depicted as if she were a wedding guest or going to church.<br>

That's why pure 'street' captures are best 'candid' - nearly everyone will change their expression, their behavior, often their clothes and at least straighten their hair if they could, and so on, unless they are unaware of being photographed. <br>

It's a perpetual challenge . . . . for the true street photographer to get true, realistic 'candid' shots.<br>

Along with such shots, I also take 'informal street portraits or environmental photos' in which subjects are aware of me, but are asked only minimally to cooperate, and otherwise to go about their business while I record it.<br>

Some photos just are impossible to get by asking permission; absolutely impossible. If permission were ever asked, the photo would not exist, and that includes a large part of my portfolio, in part because subjects are in crowds, too far away, I don't speak their language, and myriad reasons other than trying to 'steal' the souls of my subjects.<br>

I want to capture interesting 'life as it is' not life as others would like to project it, or censor it to me. I want to capture uncensored 'looks' and 'behavior' or it is just theater and therefore useless to me.<br>

Most often others see the same things I see, but don't see the significance, the minutiae or have the ability to understand and/or record that thing/moment.<br>

I try also to record those instants artfully when when I can, which calls for equipment bigger than a camera phone.<br>

I have hard drives full of photos of 'instances' that are interesting but not artful enough to show to anyone.<br>

There are anti-photography advocates out there, just as there are anti-smoking, anti-alcohol and anti-fur activists. They often are not organized, acting individually, but they can be highly vocal if they're in the wrong mood. I think that's what the subject photographer ran into, and in a most unusual situation.<br>

Sometimes if the anti-photography advocates know you'll be around, they hang around and wait for you, their script at the ready, ready to fire off a complaint or 'set up a situation' of confrontation.<br>

Best to throw off their timing by varying your shooting, and not going the same place too often or at the same time.<br>

A benefit of this, is geographic variety often opens the street photographer's eyes.<br>

A detriment is (1) it kowtows to those who would control the photographer's rights, and (2) it prevents orderly and artful collection documenting 'life in the XXX area or community' over 'YYY period of time' as made from a 'street' perspective.<br>

Let's be clear, it is not always friendly to have a stranger's lens pointed at you, and as photographer I am continually aware of that. <br>

I once gave up photography in part because I became TOO sensitive to that.<br>

I take photos once again, and clandestinely at times (openly at others) furtively at times (not so at others), because I view it as my contribution to the world of ART. Not just some sport to annoy people but genuine ART.<br>

I understand the Lucie Awards were announced today; a friend of mine and mentor has a Lucie Award. He keeps telling me my work is high art. It's taken him a couple of years, but now I enthusiastically agree with him, after initial doubts.<br>

When I go out on the street, I no longer have any mixed feelings at all about what it is I do or how I go about it. I behave like a gentleman . . . photographer . . . not like stalkerazzi . . . . and do not behave in any way that would bring disrepute on photography in general in my eyes, given the exigencies of taking photos the way I do.<br>

I think I (as well as fellow photographers such as Bob Kurt mentioned earlier) and others, make a valuable contribution to the 'art' world. (we do NOT need that as an excuse however).<br>

We are not Alan Funts hiding out to make laughing stocks of people . . . but to illuminate others' behavior and looks for a lasting memorial for us all, of our own fallible and very interesting selves hopefully in an artistic way.<br>

I think it's best to let people think that the photographer here has 'hung up his cameras for good' when in fact he's just 'hung up his cameras' (for the time being) - at least I hope based on what I have learned so far.<br>

The very nature of 'street' photography means that it will be 'offensive' to a certain number of individuals, no matter what, at all times, no matter how wonderful the behavior of the 'street photographer' is.<br>

John (Crosley)<br>

<p>© 2010, John Crosley, All rights reserved.</p>

</p>

<p>For those people who seem to think that some people have problems understanding, I think they are referring to me, let me try putting it in a way that you can understand. The person was weird and creepy. I realize that some people live in very small worlds and cannot comprehend beyond that world. What is weird and creepy?<br>

This week a fellow photographer was almost arrested because he was reported as acting weird and creepy, using your vernacular. His crime, he has Parkinson and uses a point and shoot which he has to hold out to his side looking down. He was reported to the police and was immediately surrounded by five police officer who took his camera and viewed all the images and only agreed to hand it back to his wife who vouched for him. <br>

One of my sons is autistic, I better not hand him a camera, he is considered weird and creepy by many people, don't worry I won't take him to Vermont where he will be prevented from entering places because he is weird and creepy.<br>

It must be nice to live in such a nice perfect little world and never have to go and find out what the rest of the world is like.<br>

Define what this guy did that was so weird and creepy or stay in your nice little perfect world and don't bother telling me how I just don't get it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>anyone who publishes pictures of other people without having the necessary documentation of a release is the one at risk for the law suit.... ...I needed releases from the homeless guys even in order for the prints to be published.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's not true unless the use of the photos fit in to one of these four categories... <a href="http://www.cas.okstate.edu/jb/faculty/senat/jb3163/privacytorts.html">http://www.cas.okstate.edu/jb/faculty/senat/jb3163/privacytorts.html</a></p>

<p>My opinions only and maybe not correct;<br>

People like the one wanting me to feel sorry for him because he assummes his rights were violatede is quite possibly the joke of 2010. He sneaks up to get a shot without asking permission then publishes the shots without permission and brags about getting shots as people tell him that he can't take their picture while on PRIVATE property--nobody that operates a business there likely ever wants to see him again. Wonder what his comment would be if he sneaks into a privately owned place that happens to be a house and quickly moves his arm holding the camera with a longer lens on it--will he and others that assume Private Properly is theirs to enter and do as the wish---Try it in TX or Detroit where the property owner has legal permits to carry a 10 Mil Glock or a S&W 44 Mag and these are not racial predjuce in the least. Do the crime--live or die because of your actions</p>

<p>Well, a valuable lesson can be learned from this incident. If you treat people without respect or consideration, they'll make life difficult for you. I can't say that the opposite is necessarily true, but sometimes it is. On many occasions I have approached people and asked permission to take photos of their person or their property. Sometimes they say, "No," but when they agree I end up with pictures that I NEVER could have taken by "sneaking around." The best subject is a cooperative subject.</p>

<p>Yes, the candid approach has merit, but if someone asks you to delete a photo that you have taken of them, apologize, delete the freakin' thing and move on. Find another subject and get on with your project. If this gentleman had treated his subjects with respect - perhaps offering free prints of their photos or inviting them to local exhibitions featuring their likeness - he could have become somewhat of a local HERO rather than the town PARIAH. Now he finds himself restricted in his own hometown not because he was not acting within his rights, but rather because he was argumentative and inconsiderate. </p>

<p>Note to John C: Brevity is the soul of wit, especially when one double-posts.</p>

<p>Manuel either doesn't understand the fundamental principles we're discussing, or for some reason is ignoring them, but anyway this thread has become way too repetitive.</p>

<p>Manuel, you just don't get it. What you don't get, specifically, is that the issue has nothing to do with what the photographer did or did not do wrong. It's the prerogative of the property owner to decide the criteria for whether or not somebody may enter the property, save for protected classes. If the property owner thinks that "<em>I believe</em> this guy is going to scare off customers" or "This guy has repeatedly annoyed my employee and <em>I don't put up with that sort of thing</em>" are reasons to keep him off the property, then they are. What the photographer actually did, and the legality of what he did, are <em>entirely irrelevant</em>. Therefore it is not necessary for anybody to tell you <em>why</em> the store owner perceived his behavior as creepy.</p>

<p>Every other issue you've raised is irrelevant. Artistic merits of the photos, smelliness of the cigarettes, other reasons photographers may look creepy though they aren't, historical abuses such as slavery - all have nothing to do with this.</p>

<p>Present a respectable argument against the property owner's right to deny entry to the property or drop it. Until you do one of those things, I will reiterate that you just don't get it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In fact the sooner this forum ends the better it is for the businesses there on Church Street, but I don't mind doing my part to keep it going, as that is all I can do from here.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Manual has stated his intention and presumably shall keep presenting these ridiculous and patently false 'straw man' arguments and inflammatory insinuations against those who disagree with him (bigotry against disability being the latest implication). He seems to see this as the online equivalent of walking up and down with a placard. </p>

<p>No Andrew....you don't get it. It's not about the property owner's rights or the photographer's rights.....it's about the method it was done in. A group of property owners banded together and enlisted the police to present an unofficial document to another civilian. This document prohibits him from entering their stores. Not because he did anything wrong or creepy in their stores, but because they didnt like what he was doing on PUBLIC property. And mind you, the thing was started by ONE store owner. If you read the links, most of the other store owners in this group don't even know the details of the incident....well, they probably do now, but not at the time their names were attached to the action.</p>

<p>This is called mob rule. One special interest group, that has enlisted the militia (police) to enforce their interpretation of their rights against another civilian for actions he comitted on public property. Not even on their property, mind you. A group that didn't even get a proper court order. But, expects the accused to hire a lawyer to disprove their decision. This is called Guillty until proven Innocent.</p>

<p>GET IT!?</p>

<p><em>Folks that are aholes towards the guards get stuck in the manure. The more you whine and tick them off and downgrade them; the more manure you get on you. Stuff like this goes back 30,000 + years. Thus one could state one does not have "the obligation" to not be an ahole; or treat them like crap; or tick them off; or belittle them; or act like a jackass.</em><br>

While I agree that being an ass for the sake of being an ass is not helpful, if the events went down like the article describes, the Photographer was nicer than I would have been. <br>

If Mall security approached him in public, outside of mall property, I would not have even responded to them. Clearly he did not fall under hot pursuit doctrine so the private security hired to protect private property had no business questioning him at all.<br>

Had the police shown up at my home or office and started asking questions, my question back would be "am I being charged with anything?" followed by "am I being questioned as a witness to a crime?" If the answers were no, I would politely ask them to leave. I have no obligation to be questioned for non-crimes. <br>

About a year ago I was taking long exposure pictures of a public street from a public park. The park happened to be right in front of the entrance to a military post. One of the private security guards approached me and told me I couldn't take pictures there. I responded "Im sorry, but that is not true. I can't take pictures of the entrance, but I can take pictures of the street." I will add that my camera was at an almost 90 degree angle to the gate so there was no doubt what I was photographing. The guard then said, "You cant take pictures near the post, even if you are not taking them of the post." I again corrected him and he said he was going to have to call the military police. I asked him to do that but I had pictures to take. About 30 minutes later the military police showed up and apologized for the guard hassling me and reminded me not to shoot pictures of the gate. What the rent-a-guard did not know was that I am a military officer and had briefly been in charge of force protection for that post so I knew my rights very well. Unfortunately others who dont have the MP commanders number in their cell phone would probably believe the guard and curse the military. <br>

If you are not committing a crime, suspected of a crime, witness to a crime or endangering public safety, the police have no right to restrict your liberty. Only two people can restrict the liberty of a US citizen - a Judge and a Military Commander. The police can only arrest someone without a court issued warrant to protect the public or in hot pursuit. Even then, they have an obligation to bring the person in front of a judge in a timely manner. Failing to do so risks a habeas corpus motion.<br>

The Framers understood the part the public played in democracy. We would be a worse democracy had a photographer not been at Kent State. We would be a worse society had Abraham Zapruder been denied the right to film in Dallas. The Chinese government would have been far happier had Jeff Widener not taken the picture of "tank man." It is not just a right to photograph public spaces, it is an obligation to exercise and defend that right. Sly Arena says it better than I could in lesson 9 of LIDLIPS http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/3475<br>

Having said all that, just as the photographer has the right to take pictures in public, the business has the right to deny him entry. Why they would do that I dont know. If they were smart about it, they would ask him to display pictures - ones they pick. "Show us your work, we will display the ones we think will relate to our customers best." Besides the obvious chance to actually get some good artwork free, they can see all his pics. If he is doing something that is creepy, they can notify the police and the police will have something to charge him with. Of all the sins, Pride is the one that is easiest to exploit.</p>

<p>Looking straight into eyes for prolonged time is aggression. Pls try this behaviour with any animal for instance with a dog. When sombody is a hero of the photo, this photo is not the simple photo taken in a public place. In my opinion it is much more than looking into ones eyes. I was many times surprised that so many aspects of life in US are treated not using common sense but a lawyer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Manual has stated his intention and presumably shall keep presenting these ridiculous and patently false 'straw man' arguments and inflammatory insinuations against those who disagree with him (bigotry against disability being the latest implication). He seems to see this as the online equivalent of walking up and down with a placard.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, Andrew, if I disagree with you I am presenting false arguments, you however, are not. I will gladly do my part to keep the subject alive. I do consider this my chance to contribute to keeping this country free from people like you who may prefer to live in a totalitarian country, or maybe would still require people who are deformed to wear masks. Yes, I will do my part. Have you explained what weird and creepy things he was doing? I don't think so, keep your mind in that small world. No you guys do not get, it is not the absolute right of the property owners to bar who they see fit. They used to bar people who were deformed, it is bad for business. Business owners are not the best judges as they see every thing in the color of money. For the other Andrew. I get it, I have lived a full live and expanded it by enjoying the reading of history. I would suggest that some of you do that also. Let me recommend those books again, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, or Mein Kampf".</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Manuel: That aspect of the Civil War wasn't about taking away the human property in the southern states. It was about establishing the fact that they weren't property in the first place. Categorizing people as property was badly, fundamentally incorrect. Just like it still is, right now, in the places around the world where it's still regularly practiced.<br /> <br /> Categorizing a person's actual property (like their home, or where they have established their business) as, well ... property ... isn't really up for debate and needing to end (as slavery was)...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The indigenous people of this country thought that the concept of the ownership of land was absurd, the land belonged to all the people.... such is life. We happen to live in an era where that concept is the norm, but that does not mean that it will always be so.</p>

<p>Isn't there an inconsistency in this photographer's approach to this issue? On the one hand he is asserting his right to take photos in public places while on the other -</p>

<p><strong><em>'Occasionally, Scott asks his subjects’ permission to be photographed. “And if they tell me ‘no,’ I go away,” he says.'</em> </strong></p>

<p>So effectively the whole neighbourhood are telling him '<strong><em>No</em> </strong> ' but he is not going away. Seems to me he might be better advised to go somewhere else for a change.<strong><em><br /> </em> </strong></p>

<p>Oh, Andrew is littering against the law? You did not mention the second part.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This is actually not relevant to the rights in question, but no, it is not illegal to smoke where she was smoking in Vermont. This can easily be looked up instead of just throwing it out there.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Besides I can't help it that I live in a place that prohibits smoking near an entrance. So Vermont is behind the times, hey I thought the East Coast was where things happened first. They do have laws against littering don't they. I very seldom see smoker properly dispose of cigarette butts. I did not notice a place to put those butts on the photo. Do a little research on those cigarette butts that get washed down the sewers. Some people live in small worlds. For those reading this post for the first time, this response relates as to why a smoker would not want their photo taken and why they may have caused such a ruckus.</p>

<p>Oh for my pair of Andrews, Breast feeding is considered bad for business. I guess the business owners all got together and said so what if we lose business. Business owners see every thing in the color of green. It is on topic, Andrew and Andrew, as you all say it relates on the ability of the property owners to bar some one for being weird and creepy (bad for business).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A group that didn't even get a proper court order. But, expects the accused to hire a lawyer to disprove their decision. This is called Guillty until proven Innocent.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>GET IT!?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>According to what you "get" Thomas, we've decided we are going to visit you at home and plant ourselves in your living room and carry on with this wonderful conversation. When you demand that we leave, we won't because you didn't bother to even get a proper court order. You'll expect us to hire a lawyer to disprove your decision. You will suddenly recall your position that your conduct amounts finding us guilty until proven innocent (even though we haven't been charged with anything). Based on your great zeal for justice, you will decide not to take the draconian action of calling in the "militia" to merely have them tell us you would like us to leave because it would be a gross violation of "due process".</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A full discussion and debate on reactions to photographers is a good thing and can be educational. Often, disagreement is expected and a good way to flesh out issues. Sometimes, it reaches a dead end. In this case, for part of the conversation, it has. If one absolutely insists that a private property owner cannot call the police to tell someone to leave or not to come back because such conduct arises to some sort of totalitarian police state based on racism ect., there is nothing anyone else can say to help.</p>

<p>Wow, now on to breast feeding in public. Guess what, property owners can put up no breast feeding signs on their property and ask anyone to leave who decides to. If it helps I am pro-breast feeding. Generally the best thing for your child if it is physiologically possible for the mother. My eldest was breast feed for a year and I am sure my next child would be as well.<br>

If a property owner had an issue with my wife breast feeding on their property...well okay, we'll do it else where.<br>

Thomas, I don't think you are quite getting it either. The photographer was bothering customers, employees and owners. Whether it was inside their stores or not matters little. The store owners had a perceived grievance against the photographer (and sounds like a pretty good one to me), so they asked the police to deliver the notice to him.<br>

There is no militia here. The police are not in a militia. They don't take up arms in defense of the state against enemies of the state as private citizens. They carry arms in a law enforcement capacity (a national guard would be closer to the deffinition of a militia). That is a very distinctly different thing. Calling police a militia is a very liberterian thing if I am going to throw around lables.</p>

<p>1) The businesses have the legal right to control access to their property<br>

2) The police are allowed to deliver documents on behalf of private citizens to another private citizen without the document originating from a court of law<br>

3) Nothing else really matters, but what the heck, the guy was a problem, the store owners and plenty of employees and customers had an issue with him, so they basically told him to stay off our property since you are such a nuissance.<br>

You might not think the Photographer was a nuissance or his behavior was in any way objectionable, but a lot of people did. You can't really disupute #1 or 2 and really no one that matters objects to #3. By no one who matters I mean the private property owners who issues the no tresspass notice.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The indigenous people of this country thought that the concept of the ownership of land was absurd, the land belonged to all the people.... such is life.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Most of the tribes that made up the indigenous people of this country also had warrior classes/traditions that existed because groups of those indigenous people sometimes used force to take over others' land, or remove people from their own. Some of this continent's indigenous people put entire villages to death (sometimes just for sport), or had long histories of elaborate torture, and making slaves and even sacrificial animals out of people. Such is life, right, Manuel?<br /><br />Be careful where you go fishing for your idyllic counter-examples to coffee shop owners being able to tell obnoxious people to stay out of their stores. If you want to be taken in any way seriously, anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, Andrew, if I disagree with you I am presenting false arguments</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Luckily, Manuel, it's simpler than that. Andrew (and so many other people) are presenting simple facts. You are deliberately flailing around and presenting false analogies, venomous ad hominem innuendos about other people's racism and intolerance, and a string of non sequitors that have absolutely no bearing on the issue at hand.<br /><br />Since you won't actually come out and say what you really mean when you talk about "keeping this issue alive," I'll take a stab at it, and save you the angst you seem to be feeling about flatly stating it: You think that people who run businesses should conduct themselves according to your whims, and have no recourse to deal with someone else's whims, as they interfere with their trade. How have you come to this position? I'll take a stab at that, too:<br /><br />You seem to think that a person who opens a coffee shop <em>today</em> should be paying - with the intolerably high price of the loss of their liberty - for the prior acts of unrelated shopkeepers decades before they were born. This strange notion of Coffee Shop Original Sin, which can only be mitigated to your satisfaction by shop keepers giving up their property rights, in perpetuity, is at the heart of your discussions, here. Your premise is irrational, and so it follows that all of your points are - by necessity - off topic, badly disconnected from the actual issues, and increasingly barbed with indirect personal invective. You rely on such tactics because there is no coherent point that you're trying to make - at least, not one that you're willing to say out loud.<br /><br />If you really think that shopkeepers should be slaves to the public (or to jerky photographers), just say it. In so many words. You'll feel much better if you can put your energy into defending - out loud - what you <em>really</em> think, rather than tap-dancing around it, and dramatically Taking Umbrage at the notion of personal liberty on one's own property.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Yes, Andrew, if I disagree with you I am presenting false arguments, you however, are not. I will gladly do my part to keep the subject alive. I do consider this my chance to contribute to keeping this country free from people like you who may prefer to live in a totalitarian country, or maybe would still require people who are deformed to wear masks.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The only thing you are "disagreeing" with are facts. And the fact is, in a totalitarian state, the dictator can come to your house (if you even own it, since it most likely belongs to the state anyway), sit down in your bathroom and get his jollies watching you shower, and there's not a thing you can do about it. In the free country where I live, if anyone tries to do the same thing, I can have him arrested for illegal trespass, or even shoot him on the spot if he threatens the safety of me or my family.</p>

<p>See, the nice thing about living in a free country is that I get to own land, build a house or place of business on that land, and as the landowner, resident, or proprietor I get to call the shots within the reasonable limits of the law. I get to choose who is allowed in my house, and who isn't. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 means that a business owner who operates a "public accommodation" cannot discriminate based on religious, ethnic or gender grounds. But even that is a gray zone when it comes to private clubs that do not admit the general public. As for someone whose behavior I perceive to be a nuisance or a threat to me or my customers? As a citizen of this free country, and the proprietor of this business, I have the legal right to bar that person from my place of business.</p>

<p>That is how things work in America. If that makes us all Nazis in your view, then may I suggest that this might not be the right country for you? There are plenty of people who would give anything to be here, and the freedoms we enjoy here are just one of the reasons. Leave and make room for one of them. And on your way out, please tell us where you went to school so we can avoid sending our children there. I'd actually like for my children to understand the factual difference between a totalitarian state and a democracy.</p>