70-200 IS 2.8 II Now at BH

daniel flather

<p>Received this email just a short while ago:</p>

<p><em>Thank you for your interest in this item:<br /></em><em>Canon - CA7020028LIQ (USA) <br />EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens </em><em><br /><br />Please be aware that this item is currently in stock at </em><a href="http://bhphotovideo.com/" target="_blank"><em>bhphotovideo.com</em></a><em>. </em></p>

<p>This is early? I was told late April.</p>

<p>Fun!</p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>Harry, for $800 (or 50%) more you get a stabilizer that provides up to 4 stops of correction, versus 3 for the old one. And you have a minimum focus of 1.2 m, versus the 1.4 on the old one. 5 UD elements versus the 4 in the old one and 1 fluorite element versus none in the old one.<br /> I'm sure you will agree, that's worth $800.</p>

<p>I’m sure it’s a sweet lens. And, as always, if your business / hobby can’t

afford an additional $800 on a purchase that’s already closer to $2000 than $1000, you’re

overextended to the point you shouldn’t be considering either.</p>

<p>Still, I’m at a loss to think of a scenario where upgrading to the new lens would be

compelling. An extra stop of IS, an extra six inches of close focussing, and minor upgrades to already-

superlative optics? Sure, that’s all good news, but how many of y’all had shots that you

regretting having to bump the ISO so you could shoot at 1/10 second instead of the 1/5 second the new

lens would offer? How many of you are shooting things just a bit over arm’s length and wishing

you could get a few inches closer? How many of you are disappointed with the image quality —

and, of those who raised your hands, how many would pick the new 70-200 in favor of an L prime?</p>

<p>It’s an incremental upgrade. If you need a 70-200 and you don’t have one, of course,

get the new version. And if a business case can be made or if you really want it for your hobby, go

ahead and upgrade. But I’m quite certain that Harry’s stance will be adopted by virtually all

other working pros who already have the original version.</p>

<p>Me? I bought the non-IS version used for $800. I couldn’t be happier, and I have no

intentions whatsoever of upgrading.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>