For arguments sake choose one... Hasselblad or Mamiya 6

asimrazakhan

<p>This post has nothing to do with me. I am just wondering what your reasons would be for going with either of these two systems:<br>

Mamiya 6 with a 50, 75, and 150mm lens (sorry, but you can't switch this to a Mamiya 7II system)<br>

OR<br>

Hasselblad 501CM with waist level finder and 50mm FLE and 100mm f/3.5</p>

<p>Let's say someone is offering either one as a gift to you.<br>

These two set-ups weigh about the same. And I would guess that they would both take up about the same amount of space in your bag. They both produce spectacular 6x6 photos.</p>

<p>Comparing these two systems is a tough job because they serve different purposes. So then which one would you pick and what are your reasons?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I made the choice in 1980, Hasselblad hands down.<br>

You can do more with it than any other system made. Can you change backs on the rangefinder, can you change finders on it, can you switch between film types mid roll or even upgrade to digital.<br>

The Mamiya 6 is great for some things, but its not even close.</p>

<p>IMO comparing a rangefinder to an SLR is like comparing the Mazda Miata to a 4-door sedan. One's not better than the other (okay -- alright the Miata is lots cooler). They're two different categories in the same genre with two different purposes in mind.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I have used a Mamiya 6 for a few years now, and though quirky in part because it's a rangefinder, really enjoy using it.<br>

<br /> I have never used a Hasselblad and am unlikely to do so in the (immediate) future, but in terms of image quality, peering through an 8x loupe at chromes on a light table, the sharpness and contrast of the Mamiya 6 lens lineup is really impressive.<br>

It really does depend on what you shoot, however. SLRs and RF are two very distinct animals.<br>

If I were unitiated, and the name alone could sway me, I'd probably pick a Hasselblad simply because of the cachet associated with it. Again, this is independent of knowing what to shoot, at all.<br>

<br /> However, used Hasselblad film equipment isn't all that expensive in comparison, so the price of a good condition Mamiya 6 with the 75mm and 150mm lenses isn't going to be "that much cheaper" (if at all) then potentially similar setups in the Hasselblad range.</p>

<p>That being said, I chose the M6 as my first entry into Medium Format a few years ago. I could have ventured over to Hasselblad's side of the fence as a point of curiosity a while ago, but still haven't.</p>

<p>Again, you have to decide for yourself. If you do choose the Mamiya, make sure the focus is somewhat close to ideal calibration. A medium format rangefinder with an out-of-whack RF mechanism is a real exercise in futility - you'll weep for all the blown focus, that ruins shots.</p>

<p>I compose to the edges, and deal with closeups and fine points in perspective. The only filter I own for medium format is a polarizer and I do not hike other than to take pictures. Finally, I like the option of switching between film and digital in the middle of a roll. In short, an Hasselblad is the only logical choice for me.</p>

<p>I own pretty much both cameras you are talking about except I have:</p>

<p>Mamiya 6 & 50/4 + 75/3.5 (looking for a 150/4.5)<br>

&<br>

Hasselblad 500C/M & 80/2.8 (sold my 120/4 Makro, 150/4 Sonnar and 50/4 Distagon)</p>

<p>If you google the differences between rangefinders and SLRs you will find most differences between the two cameras - and in this instance, those differences still ring true. In my personal experience (and I regularly take both out) here is what I've found:</p>

<p>Pros of Mamiya 6 against 500 C/M:<br /> -lightweight, portable and very hand-holdable<br /> -has its own light meter (which is almost perfect with b&w film - ilford delta especially! - but it has no spot meter)<br /> -near silent shutter (the button click is louder than the shutter!)<br /> -less chance of vibration and no mirror slap<br>

-lenses are amazing - in particular the 50mm and then 75mm (in that order)<br>

-great for travel, street photography - near useless for macro and to a lesser extent portraits (though I have yet to use a 150mm)</p>

<p>Cons:<br /> -no macro or close focusing - minimum is 4ft / 1m - the close-up contraption for the 75m (still looking for one on ebay) allows you to get to 3ft but is a ridiculously unwieldy add-on which takes away the mobility of the mamiya in the first place!)<br /> -limited number of lenses - the 150mm in particular has problems with focusing and with rangefinder coupling<br /> -Quite cheaply made (in comparison), the body is high quality plastic with some metal, but my M6 (bought in pretty good condition off eBay) has been back to the shop once when the cable release socket fell out, and needs to go back again as another flash sync cord socket has fallen out too (!).<br /> -Rangefinder needs calibrating too. Its not going to last as long as the Hasselblad, thats for sure.</p>

<p>The Hasselblad is an all-round classic - can do street photography in a pinch, provided you are patient (willing to lug it around - though it is still a lot more portable than an RB67), portraits, landscape, macro - you name it. It's just bigger, heavier, a lot slower, unwieldy and requires you to use a separate light meter. It is very good to learn composition and patience, however.</p>

<p>In my opinion, and just for the style of shooting I do? I would grab the Mamiya every time, but you'll never get more satisfaction out of a camera than when you hear the KAATHHWUUNKK of a Hasselblad mirror slap ;)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have owned/used both. As I am a big fan of the square format, the Mamiya 6 and 50mm lens was probably my favorite camera and lens combination. Unfortunately, the winding mechanism broke and couldn't be repaired by Mamiya(no parts). I sold the lens as I didn't want to buy another body since the system didn't seem to be supported by Mamiya. I now own a 501CM with 60 and 100mm lenses. I am happy with it, but also miss the Mamiya 6.</p>

<p>Who are we kidding? 1 OR the other? When is 1 enough? :-)<br>

Okay - "desert island analogy" with only 1 AND tons of film etc . . . Hasselblad for me. I actually used the Mamiya 6 for a very short time and found it too limiting for what I like to shoot. Hasselblad is more versatile for my purposes.</p>

<p>i would take the mamiya. not because it's more finely crafted and durable [it isn't] but for the portability and ease of use. not knowing exactly where the shot will be cropped [the frame line in the RF is approximate] would bug me a little, and the lack of half-stops between F numbers. still, it just suits me better. hasselblad, like leica deserve their reputation for superiority [and prices are likewise higher] but i'll leave them to the more talented and dedicated. my attitude with hasselblad is all respect, and realization we're not part of the same class of society. with mamiya it's love. </p>

<p>As said by Mr. Posner, they are two different devices with different applications. I personally much prefer the maniabilitity and convenience of a rangefinder and so own a Mamiya 6 and its excellent lenses (I think Zeiss lens superiority is more a thing of the past), but I shoot mainly one or two B&W films when I am not using digital for colour, and rarely use macro or long lenses.</p>

<p>While I prefer the design and function of the Mamiya 6, I believe the Hasselblad is a more durable machine. I prefer not to think what my options will be if the Mamiya's shutter wind becomes unrepairable (I have trouble understanding why Mamiya cannot back up the 6, as the 7 is not that different a machine).</p>

<p>I have owned various Hasselblad gear since 1970. My Mother worked for the US importer at that time, and I had deep discounts available, as well as free access to use anything in the H catalog. Very nice stuff, and I still appreciate it. Then again, it isn't perfect, and other brands caught my eye over the decades. I currently use Bronica SQ-Ai, and Mamiya RZ67 SLR systems. I'll put the Mamiya Z lenses, and Bronica PS lenses against any comparable lens for the Hasselblad without needing excuses. Especially the Mamiya lenses.</p>

<p>People can nit and pick, but in real world terms, they are all fantastic lenses. So far as systems are concerned, there are plenty of unknown, and world class photographers (with unlimited budgets) who do not feel limited by their choice of non-Hasselblad systems. Annie Leibovitz and her preference for the Mamiya RZ67 system comes to mind here. You want extreme, insane quality? Buy a Rollei 66 system.<br>

Anyway, my 66 and 67 SLR needs are well covered now, so the no-brainer gift camera for me would be the Mamiya RF. It's a different breed of camera altogether, and far more likely to be used in on-the-go scenarios that are usually considered 35mm territory. It's relative stealth form and silence, combined with top shelf optics make the idea of such a gift far more attractive to me than to be gifted another 66 SLR, when the system I currently have meets all of my needs perfectly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I currently use both systems, the Mamiya 6 with 50, 75, and 150mm lenses (for the last 5 years), and a Hasselblad 201F with a bunch of lenses (for the last 1.5 years).<br>

Asim, to address your original question:<br>

"Mamiya 6 with a 50, 75, and 150mm lens (sorry, but you can't switch this to a Mamiya 7II system)<br />OR<br />Hasselblad 501CM with waist level finder and 50mm FLE and 100mm f/3.5"<br>

My response depends on whether or not the Hasselblad set up COMES WITH A TRIPOD, OR NOT. If no tripod, then I would pick the Mamiya 6 system over the Hasselblad, because the Mamiya 6 is AMAZINGLY well-handholdable. It allows me to take discrete handheld pictures, also in places where tripods are not allowed. Plus, i hate carrying tripods.<br>

However, if the 501CM plus 50 and 100mm lenses came with a magical, lightweight, sturdy, always-with-you tripod, it is undoubtably a more versatile system camera.<br>

So, I decided to use both - and am fortunate to be able to do so.<br>

My gallery on Flickr:<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/93135991@N00">http://www.flickr.com/photos/93135991@N00</a></p>

<p>I have owned and used both extensively. The Mamiya 50 mm is an outstanding lens and I used it a lot. But, for the kink of photos I do, I much prefer WLF. So, I guess the H'blad wins for handling, but not necessarily any other reason.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the answers. Very informative and balanced. I agree with everything everyone has said. For myself, I don't think either one shines above the other. There are pros and cons for each system and actually they both compliment each other quite well. </p>

<p>Here's how my head goes in circles between these two:<br>

The Mamiya 6 is great because it doesn't have a mirror so you can handhold it at slower shutter speeds. But then, this is medium format and you only have a dozen shots. Wouldn't you be using a tripod each time to maximize the sharpness of the photo? These shots are costing you about $1-$2 each. If you really wanted to handhold then you might as well have gotten a Leica. </p>

<p>The Hasselblad is great because you can look down at the WLF and see a beautiful image. But forget about working really fast (oh wait, its on a tripod anyway). But you have to get used to the reversed image. Maybe its good that the Hassy makes you slow down and think more about your shot. I guess it really depends on your subject, your style of shooting, and if your wife is telling you to hurry up.</p>

<p>The Mamiya is lighter and more compact, but you've just gotta have all three lenses. The 50 is for wide shots, the 75 for normal/wide and the 150 to get the slight tele perspective. But is this system much lighter anymore compared to a two lens Hasselblad setup? You can have a 50 and a 100 with the Hasselblad and the 100 works kind of like a standard/very short tele. You just have to know how to work the lens to your advantage. When you do the weigh-in, the Mamiya system is still about 200 grams lighter but it must be taking up more space with the 3 lenses (though one is retracted an inch into the body). </p>

<p>Mamiya takes batteries, but has a self timer. Hasselblad takes no batteries but no self timer.</p>

<p>With the Hasselblad you get what you see. But with the Mamiya you have the advantage of the rangefinder... you get to see more than what you see. Again, it depends on what you are shooting.</p>

<p>Their both great cameras. One very stong point the Hasselblad has is that it is a newer system with a lot more parts available. But in the end its all so confusing because you can't go wrong with either. If you ask me to choose one, I would just say, "me no know"... and leave it at that.</p>

<p>The Mamiya is very happy on a tripod as well, but to access the shutter blind and change lenses and films without removing it from tripod you need a small extension (N) adapter to raise it another inch or so above the tripod. When not on the tripod it is a much faster acting or complying system than the Hassy, and at current used prices for even mint examples, a lot cheaper and arguably with better lenses. But it is not as versatile for all types of photography as is the Swedish camera.</p>

<p>Arthur-<br>

Better lenses than Zeiss? Seems a little suspect to me. You might prefer the look, but objectively nothing that doesn't say Schneider should be better than a Zeiss at 6x6 format.</p>

<p>I use a Hassy. I like the slower working time, myself. I find that it makes me spend more time on composition than I ever did with 35mm, and I'm much more likely to notice things that need to change before I take the photo.</p>