What "time period" means when it comes to photo use for books

<p>Based on recommendations I saw here I have picked up a copy of Business and Legal Forms for Photographers, which is serving me well. However, one thing has me puzzled in the part about licensing rights to reproduce a photograph. One part of the agreement deals with the time period the license covers. Does "time period" mean that after the time period has expired the licensee can no longer print more copies of the book or does it mean they can no longer sell copies of the book even if they have already printed them? I am guessing the former but I thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows with more certainty.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>Time period means the period in which they can use your picture, i.e., print books. If they want to do another printing, they have to negotiate a new license.</p>

<p>Check out John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers" for lots of good info on licensing and contracts.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Thanks Charles. I also have that book but I'll admit I have not yet made time to really dig into it. However, in looking through what would seem to the relevant sections I have not been able to find an answer to my question.<br /> However, the more I think about my question the more I think that it must be the printing that the "time period" refers to. After all, when it comes to magazines, they not so uncommonly sell back issues printed decades earlier and I doubt they paid for perpetual licenses for the images and other licensed content.</p>