D-76

On a recent visit to my local camera store, one of the best in the area, I asked if they carried Rodinal. The answer

was no. I said that's ok, I'm mostly a D-76 guy anyway. The camera store guy said, "Well, D-76 is going away at

the end of the year. Kodak is phasing out that product". So I said, ok, ID-11 is almost the same. Then he said, "by

the way, Tri-X is also going away at the end of the year".

Is this guy feeding me a line or is there some basis for these comments?

Thanks,

Jerry

<p>Thanks Eric and Evan. I had not been able to locate a source of Rodinal locally, so this is a plus for me. And even though Kodak is discontinuing some products, it looks like there are sauitable substitutes. Maybe I should put a few 100' rolls of Tri-X in the freezer, just in case.<br>

Jerry</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Subject: D-76<br>

On a recent visit to my local camera store, one of the best in the area, I asked if they carried Rodinal. The answer was no. I said that's ok, I'm mostly a D-76 guy anyway. The camera store guy said, "Well, <strong>D-76 is going away at the end of the year. Kodak is phasing out that product</strong> ". So I said, ok, ID-11 is almost the same. Then he said, <strong>"by the way, Tri-X is also going away at the end of the year".</strong> Is this guy feeding me a line or is there some basis for these comments? Thanks, Jerry <br /> <br /> -- <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=838634">Jerry Plemons</a></p>

<p>We know that Tri-X 320 (320TXP) in 120 and 220 rolls is being phased out, as is D-76R replenisher, but if Kodak discontinue Tri-X 400 film (400TX) and D-76 considering their popularity, then that would come as a major shock to regular users. <em><strong>Let`s hope not.</strong> </em><br>

I didn`t see any mention of this on Kodak`s website, so I wouldn`t worry too much just yet.</p>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Eric, I don't thing ICE works with B&W film...do you do post processing to get rid of the grain? the whole point of B&W IMHO is the grain...curious...</p>

<p>As to D-76 "going away", Clayton F76 does just as well a job, if not better on Tri-X and Plus-X, and it costs a lot less...at FreeStylePhoto.biz....while there check out their rebranded developer called Arista Premium....it's a generic D76 and is even cheaper then Clayton....bye, bye Kodak D76...I won't miss you...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Eric, I don't thing ICE works with B&W film...do you do post processing to get rid of the grain? the whole point of B&W IMHO is the grain...curious...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>ICE is for dust, and works with color negative or reversal films. Ilford XP-2 is more a color negative film without color than a black and white film as it goes through the C-41 process.</p>