The best spot for sunrise photography in VA Beach

john_yu4

<p>I'll be in Virginia Beach tomorrow 2/27 and will have some time for the sunrise, and I'm thinking instead of walking around and trying to find the best spot for shots, I'd just ask people who have experience taking pictures there. I'd appreciate any suggestions to location, time, etc.</p>

<p>Can't help you with location. Never shot there. Here is a good web site for times of the sun and moon. <a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=179&month=1&year=2010&obj=moon&afl=-12&day=1">http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=179&month=1&year=2010&obj=moon&afl=-12&day=1</a><br>

My advice is get there plenty early. Sometimes the best shots are before sunrise. Good luck!</p>

<p>Not sure what your primary interest is....I always liked sunrise in the naval shipyards over in Portsmouth, lots of overhead steel structures framing gorgeous sunrises. Tripod needed. There's also a couple of 18th century churches over in Smithfield, with really pretty sunrise settings. My last thought, was right outside of Va Beach, as I recall, was a boardwalk and amusement park. For sunsets (not rises, as I recall), there was a lagoon outside the Norfolk Art Gallery in Norfolk, looking toward the gallery itself, where the architecture was reminiscent of Venice. Good luck, I remember lots of interesting shooting opportunities in that area. If you're interested in wildlife shooting opportunities in the area...a little south is the Great Dismal Swamp, which was originally surveyed by George Washington. I used to take my rubber raft down the main canal there for early am wildlife shots. Not sure what, if any, birds may be migrating thru there right now.</p>