Scanning 35mm Lomo film

<p>Hi,<br>

I am new to using a Diana F+. I have been taking lots of photos onto a 35mm film, and have had them developed.<br>

I am now scanning them onto my computer with a negative scanner. However, the photos are not appearing as I would expect a Lomo shot to appear - they are very dark and not 'grainy' enough.<br>

Can anyone offer any advice please?<br>

Best<br>

Jonathan</p>

<p>Are the negatives themselves too "thin" (the tones on the negative appear too light and much of the negative is clear) or too dark? If you're shooting B&W you can compensate for thin negative by increasing dev time or compensate for dark negatives by decreasing dev time. If color, you must work on the exposure - if the negs are thin, expose more or use faster (higher ISO) film; if dark, expose less or use slower film. Exposure control on a Diana is hard - you only have one shutter speed and the aperture control isn't precise. One strategy is to overexpose (I'm assuming you're shooting negatives, not slide?) as negative film is more tolerant of overexposure than underexposure.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses.<br>

I am using an ISO 400 negative colour film with an HP G3110 scanner and their default scanner import software. I also have GIMP. I am on Mac. <br>

Is there any better scanner import software?<br>

I will try and get some examples up later if I can.</p>

<p>If you are taking interior shots, it's possible that you are just unable to get a complete exposure. Since the Diana uses a fixed shutter speed, aperture, and focus, your exposure depends entirely upon what speed film you are using and what the lighting is like. I believe the Diana will expose correctly in full sunlight at ISO 100. ISO 400 is best if the sun is behind the clouds. If it's full overcast, or you are shooting in the shade, probably ISO 800. I would push to ISO 3200 or so if shooting indoors, or use the flash as intended. Information I've read indicates that even at ISO 3200, you probably will be underexposed indoors, so the flash is 100% recommended for indoor photography.</p>