Marketing Lists, efficiency and organization. . .

tonybynum

I want to develop a new, more robust set of marketing lists that integrate into my overall work-flow better then

my pen to paper method. In other words I want to be able to have a number of different lists that i use for

marketing purposes (subject defined). For example, I want the list to be used for e-marketing, hard copy mailing,

phone, etc.

My question is, what are other people doing or using to organize their lists so that they can be as useful and

efficient as possible? Is there an online service, a spreadsheet, or software program or other?

I hope i've made this clear, if it's not let me know, but if you have some thoughts on what i have posted and you

share them I know i'll be thankful, as i'm sure others will be too!

Thanks,

Tony Bynum

<p>I'm facing the same issue. I need to do marketing mailings to a couple hundred prospects at a time, and would like something that would help me keep track of such things as when I last emailed them, which mailing did I send, was there a response, etc.<br>

More than email programs are suited for, no matter how capable.<br>

But I'm not interested in $50-200 per month for a service to do it for me.<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>True Chas. I tried Constant Contact - and similar services - for a while but grew tired of paying the monthly fee since I didn't feel I used the subscriptions all that much. What I do now is just keep a log in a 3-ring binder. I print the e-mail sent out, date it and scribble the name of the list(s) it got sent to. Sort chronologically and using tabs for the months. Total cost roughly $5 and should last the next 5 years or so at my current pace.</p>

it's a good question, can you answer it David? I wonder if it might. . . do you have any experience with using excel and exporting to create email marketing and hard copy? Since i'm not excel literate i wonder if there are templates?

I'm also checking google documents. . . I've hear great things about them but personally dont know how they work. . .

Again, thanks for the help.

Tony

<p>I'm sure that Excel is a viable way forward and that it is the way to get something tailor-made to your needs rather than one size fits all. Problem is I'm not Excel literate either though I have one daughter that builds Excel based business models for a living, which helps. It does cross my mind that many of us know someone who is pretty competent with Excel. </p>

<p>I think one bridge you have to cross sooner rather than later is whether you want to build a static database of unchanging data with each prospect's characteristics applied in perpetuity ( or at least till you actively change it) or a dynamic database that also records what approaches you have made to the prospect, when, and what the result was in terms of sttatus along the road to becoming a customer.</p>

<p> So for example the first allows you to make simple selections of prospects along any combination of their static critieria -eg select and print address labels/envelopes for any prospects living in region code a_f. A dynamic database would allow you to select additionally on the basis of your previous approaches--eg</p>

<ul>

<li>select everyone who hasn't so far received communication code B</li>

<li>select everyone who hasn't responded to any communication from me in the last two years</li>

<li>select all who responded to my communications between 6 months and two years ago who haven't yet become customers. </li>

</ul>

<p>You will need to sort out to some degree what you want to do with the database before you can determine whether any available templates would be appropriate or whether you're actually going to need to build your own to give you what you want. I do think that if you can call on someone you know, you are likely to get a solution that is both cheaper and more useful.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>For those still following this thread, I have selected Insight Contact Manager for my mailing/contact management system.</p>

<p>It allows substantial customization, has appropriate functionality (both mail and email are managed easily) and is reasonably priced (<$200)</p>

<p>We'll see how it works as I get more and more contacts entered, but so far with a few hundred contacts, it seems fine.</p>

<p><Chas></p>