D300s shutter release defective?

eajames

<p>I've owned a D300s since they hit the market and after 10k clicks using manual focus AIS lenses I haven't had a problem. Today I received a 70-200mm VRII and immediately noticed a problem - not with the lens, I suspect, but with the camera's shutter release button. In single servo AF mode or continuous AF mode, depressing the button halfway is not sufficient to focus. In order to engage autofocusing I have to depress the shutter release button almost all the way such that most attempts to focus result in tripping the shutter. The AF-On button works like a charm, but I prefer to use the shutter release button for focusing.<br>

<br /> Just to clarify, the custom setting for "auto-focus activation" is set to on.<br>

<br /> Are other D300s users experience this? Any ideas before I box it up and send it off to Nikon for repair?</p>

<p>It sounds like there is a problem with the contact point in the shutter release. It is either on or off; the lens has no bearing on that.</p>

<p>Since you are in warranty, I would suggest you call Nikon and send it back for repair while it is still under warranty.</p>

<p>The D300S was announced in the middle of 2009 and released in the fall. Therefore, all of them have to be under warranty (all well less than a year old), unless you have a gray-market one or bought it used.</p>

<p>I would suggest finding another Nikon AF lens and do a quick senity check before sending it back to Nikon. I tested a D300S extensively (capturing over 5000 images with it), and of course it doesn't have any such problem.</p>