Anyone still using a Pentax MZ-S

asimrazakhan

<p>Just wondering if anyone still uses the Pentax MZ-S. Its a great camera that has a lot of user programmable functions through the 'Pentax Functions' switch. The only problem is that its impossible to remember which number corresponds to which function....</p>

<p>so years ago, when I got my MZ-S, I typed up all the functions. It prints out in about a 1.5x1.5 inch area. You just cut it out and it fits perfectly on the back of the MZ-S. I've just stuck mine on with scotch tape. The only thing is that the printout covers the quartz date (QD) function on the back of the camera. But I don't know anyone that actually uses that.</p>

<p>If anyone is still interested, please either email me or respond to this thread... i'll email you an attachment of the pentax functions printout.</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Asim,<br>

I still use my MZ-S but a little less frequently. I just added a K200D and am learning about this "new" digital thing. :-) I don't mess with the functions too often, but am glad to know that you are a resource when I do!<br>

I plan to keep the MZ-S a long time and it's one of Pentax's finest, imho!<br>

Jeff</p>

<p>wow I just googled this camera and it's quite an impressive machine! I love that slanted top design, must be great to hold in your hands! 1/6000 shutter speed? Nice! I was most impressed with this though:<br>

On-the-film data recording allows the user to record valuable photographic data directly onto film for future reference. The film roll number, ISO film speed and data-imprinting brightness are recorded on the film�s leader portion, while the exposure mode, metering mode, shutter speed, aperture value, exposure compensation value, use of the auto bracketing function, and use of the multiple exposure function are indicated in the space between the picture frame and the perforation. <br>

<br /> </p>

<p>Hello Asim: <br>

I still use the MZ-S and still shoot only film. Truth is I can't justify nor afford upgrading to digital at this point. I love my MZ-S and it has replaced my Super Program (Super A) as my main unit. I was able to both of mine second hand, and have no regrets beyond the fact that getting the small bits (hotshoe cover, PC cover, etc) is becoming harder and harder. But all things considered I enjoy the use of the camera and the added battery grip helps considerably, both in holding it as well as the extended battery life. <br>

One of the cameras came with the original sheet for the programming, though I think your idea of the smaller sheet fixed to be back a good idea. FYI, I believe that several of the functions remain set with the camera even after the batteries are removed, and the ones that require resetting will become more familiar as you do them over. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>MZ-S + FA24-90/3.5-4.5 is a really great combination! Lens is great on digital as well. Its my recollection that like the contemporary ZX-L the LCD has some hieroglyphics that help you guess which PF is --like they'll show you the film winding icons for adjusting film leader in/out, etc. but its not as clear as the digital bodies which has more substantial wording on the LCD.</p>

<p>Camera is quite compact as well, not much bigger than other compact bodies in MZ/ZX series, but a good deal more solid feeling. Controls are rather unique with an interesting take on the HyperProgram/HyperManual scheme that Pentax has implemented in varying ways since the Z/PZ series. Seem to be optimized towards quick change between manual and automatic to the point that it's easier to shift from AE to manual than it is to use exposure comp.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I like simplicity in my cameras. That is part of the reason I recently switched to a manual Leica. My almost new MZ-S is listed for sale in the photo.net classifieds. As far as changing the functions. The codes are in the manual. And once I set mine I never felt the need to change them. This is supposed to be a feature that makes life easier for the shooter. You use the functions to customize the camera to fit your style. Frequently changing the functions, in my less than humble opinion, just confuses things. I like to be able to use a camera intuitively, without pausing to think how I have it set up for that day. But I do understand everyone is different. Anyway it's a great camera. The best film camera Pentax ever made-and ever will.</p><div>00VpPV-222717584.jpg.c66b4d1a3d74760c0bd50bfd84ac4a6b.jpg</div>