Dilemma: Canon User with a Nikon 85mm/f1.4

clark_king4

<p>Dude, what Abe said 4000 posts ago; buy a cheap Canon to Nikon lens adaptor! I've been a Nikon Film shooter for 15 years. I got a Canon EOS 20D used last Fall. THen I got a cheap ($30) Adaptor and happily use all of my manual and early Autofocus Nikon lenses on that Canon body. Yes, it's manual focus, the way you should be focusing anyway. The Canon even meters at Av and M mode.<br>

The oft repeated but rarely heeded proverb is; "Nikon is a lens company that also makes cameras, and Canon is a Camera company that also makes lenses." Why not have the best of both worlds?</p>

<p>As a Canon user, I can tell you that adapting Nikon lenses is pretty painless. Until I got my Canon 200mm f2.8, I regularly used an Ais Nikkor 200 f4 without any problems, as well as an old 5.8cm f1.4 and a 105mm f2.5. Since the 85 is a portrait lens first, I'm betting you'll rarely stop it down past 2.8 or so, in which case the viewfinder will still be plenty bright. You can even get adapters with focus confirmation chips on them nowadays.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"So what is the least expensive NIkon DSLR that will take advantage of this lens?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>APS-C sensor ('crop factor' = 1.5; effective view of 85mm lens = 127.5mm)<br>

Cheapest new: D90 (12.3 mp)<br>

Cheapest used: D50, D70 or D70s (6mp); D80, D200 (10.2 mp)</p>

<p>Full-frame (same view as 35mm film; effective view of 85mm lens = 85mm)<br>

Cheapest new or used: D700</p>

<p>Caution: You might get to liking Nikon behind this...</p>

<p>Some random thoughts: [1] yes, you can use a nikon lens on a canon with an adapter. I've done it. However, you have to use "stop-down" metering (at shooting aperture) and the brightness of the screen is non-linear with regard to aperture. Canon lenses have electronics, so the camera "knows" the exact compensation for correct exposure. You may find that you have to apply varying degress of exposure compensation, by trial and error. My Nikon 600 5.6 metered just fine at 5.6 on a canon 20D but at 11 I had to dial in minus two stops! [2] I sold my nikon D70. More recently I have had an opportunity to use a D40 (which will not drive the autofocus motor in your 85.) In my opinion there is NO comparison in image quality. I think Nikon did a tremendous job improving the noise characteristics of the sensor from the D70 to the D40. So, if you are willing to use manual focus, why not a used D40 perhaps with an aftermarket split-image screen? That would give you 1/500 flash synch without the drop in guide number due to the "high speed" synch setting. [3] If you're not concerned about the latest and greatest sensor, and you don't need more than four megapixels or low noise at high ISO, why not consider a used D2H? You should be able to find one for US $ 600 or less and you will have 8 frames/sec, excellent AF and brute force in the AF drive motor. [4] On using two systems for just one lens: in part, it depends on how much you can sell the lens for. Buying an Nikon body may be cheaper than the net cost of trading in for a canon lens.</p>

<p>I just receved my ring adapter for the EOS camera to adapt a Nikon lens. Accordingly, I should lose the auto focus and a stop... maybe two... but it was much less expensive than purchasing a camera to keep using one lens. A trade or swap would also be getter than a new system... economically. I am a predominantly Canon shooter. Good luck with your choice(s).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks, but.. you got it wrong in the post. Another "m"..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I fixed the title, and that is all I am going to do. They didn't pay me enough to fix every little typo in each post. After all, it wasn't my post; the typo is in the OP's.</p>

<p>>>That option has several drawbacks:</p>

<ul>

<li>The OP needs to buy yet another camera (unless he already has a 4/3 body).</li>

<li>He will have to use an adapter, thus losing functionalities.</li>

<li>There will be a 2x crop factor on 4/3. Therefore, the 85mm will be the equivalent of a 170mm on FX, and that is hardly a portrait lens any more.</li>

</ul>

<p>>><br />All true Sheung, but since I like to think "Sideways"( is that how you say this in English ? ) i do have some remarks to that :</p>

<ul>

<li>I understood that the OP asked for another camera suggestion </li>

<li>He can get an adapter for almost every lens he can think off ( also the cannon lenses) which opens a lot of new creative possibilities </li>

<li>The 85 mm 1.4 becomes a 170 , yes, and its a fantastic one a f1.4 170mm tele ( it works a treat for me ..) is hard to beat. ...... </li>

</ul>

<p>Of course it cannot replace a good DSLR , but it's al lot of fun, and these micro four thirds are very good for snapshots ( the Olympus Pen II anyways is..).</p>

<p> </p>

Those are some great suggestion and I really thank all of you very much. I suppose there is a bit of sentimental value even though the previous owner didn't use this lens but maybe on 5 occasions. While he was alive I probably used it more than he. I guess its just time for me to make a decision!! I will look into the adapter option but does that pose any concern for camera body fittment issues and what not? I suppose as mentioned previously the main issues will be with functionality of the lens.

<p>C.P.M. van het Kaar, don't worry about misspelling my name.</p>

<p>Clark, you can always switch completely over to Nikon. :-)</p>

<p>If that lens has sentimintal value to you, I would just get an adapter to use it on EOS. By no means it is a camera/lens match in haven, but as far as I know it is decent way to work around this problem. Fortunately, I never have any Canon EOS body so that I have no need for such adapter.</p>