Upgrade to D3?

chris_duim

<p>As was already mentioned, the pop-up flash on the D700 is a fantastic feature because you can use it as a wireless trigger multiple off camera flashes. You'd almost never want to use it as your only light, or even fill light, but using it was a trigger is great.</p>

<p>As you said Pete! The D700 "pop-up flash" good only, and only, for a trigger unit, so, you safe a couple of dollars to by a trigger unit. Big deal. Yes. the pop-up flash on the D700 good for a trigger and nothing else. I would rather bay a trigger unit then having this useless, "popcorn flash" on my camera. </p>

<p>Thanks guys. As I had to be sure of any major investment, I had to consult the experts in the forum to have some sense of whether this all just the itch for the next thing or I am making good sense of (any) significant difference in getting the D3. From the opinion of most everyone, it seems the more prudent thing is wait for the next major offering from Nikon and see if there is any big jump in either quality or feature afforded by the new model.</p>

<p>As to Thom's review, he did come out with his official review of the D3s and it was actually his second review already. His first review was based on a first body that he bought and which he concluded was a sample variability (or something like that). His second body (which formed the basis for his second review) produced better shots but overall his rating was still lower than that for the D3. I think he had some issues with the ISO handling being a little better for the D3 than the D3s, but that overall the D3s still handled higher ISOs nicely (you can check out his website). His conclusion was that the value afforded by the D3s could not be justified by the stiff price tag. I might be mistaken but this is my take of his review.</p>

<p>I will have to back off from getting the D3 at this time, considering that there is no added benefit to it over the D700. I agree that working on my technique at this time might be the better idea and wait for the next "better" FF camera from Nikon.</p>

<p>THanks a lot guys and you have been very helpful (I'm not one to easily ignore an itch but your expert advise did make a lot of practical, technical and financial sense).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Probably good to wait for the D4...but the D3s certainly does sound promising. Now I have a D300 and a D700 so really can't justify the expense after getting a 200 f2 Nikkor and a 100mm f2 Zeiss makroplanar T. I have kind of always felt that the investment in glass just makes more sense because a great lens can conceivably be used for a lifetime and camera bodies may be obsoleted in what two years? It kind of gets to where it is smart to wait for the second product cycle just to sidestep the endless updates. And besides, since I am just an amateur I really cannot justify repeatedly spending several thousands of dollars every other year like that. </p>