As Good as it Gets...

<p>To me, this is just about as good as it gets. Insofar as "Classic Manual Cameras" goes, anyway...It fits perfectly within that definition, a true thoroughbred from the days of heavy metal and meticulous engineering and attention to finish and detail. It produces a mixture of emotions in me; on the one hand an admiration for the Great Age of German Cameras and the incredibly high standards they set, and a sadness for a line of cameras that were dinosaurs at birth, outdated by the innovations of a Japanese camera industry that the Germans seemed unable to acknowledge or confront. But what beautiful obsolescence.....</p><div>00VTUM-208835684.jpg.77e1339595b6d58048d9bc0fd523f80a.jpg</div>

<p>The Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super was introduced to the world in 1959, and was one of the first 35mm SLR camera equipped with a between-the-lens leaf shutter. This complex mechanical design with its duplicity of shutters, (and complicated synchronization of mirror and shutters), precluded the use of interchangeable lenses, and the Contaflex line, right through to the end of it's development, was never equipped with an instant-return mirror. The camera was supplied with a 50mm Tessar f2.8 lens with removable front element, and the lack of lens interchangeability was compensated for by the design and manufacture of supplementary lenses, all Pro-Tessar f1:4's in 35mm, 85mm and 115mm focal lengths. The design and finish of these lenses was to the highest Zeiss standards, and they're works of art in their own right. Interchangeable backs were available for the Contaflex line, also gem-like in their design and finish. These were not cheap cameras....<br /> <br /> This model is usually referred to as "The Early Super" to distinguish it from a later model also called "Super"or "New Super", a confusing situation if ever there was one. The camera is distinguished by the aperture selection wheel set on the front face, which operates the aperture ring around the lens; this is coupled to the match-needle selenium light-meter with displays in the viewfinder and on the top deck of the camera. The apertures are cross-coupled to the shutter speeds, very like a Yashica Minister, so that moving one ring moves the other, the selected exposure thus being maintained until the system is un-coupled. It's all very smooth and precise and works well. This particular example feels as good as new; nothing sloppy or loose, everything exuding great quality of manufacture and design.<br /> <br /> I bought this camera on our local auction. It wasn't a bargain, but I'd been wanting a nice example for some time and they fetch fairly high prices. It was a nice surprise when it arrived with the 115mm supplementary lens, which had gone un-mentioned in the advertising, in lovely condition in it's big plastic dome. The camera is heavy and solid but handles well with a smooth and positive film wind, nice bright split-image focusing, and the 1-1/500th Synchro Compur shutter firing sweetly. The camera even has a little history with it, in the form of a sticker from the original seller, meticulously pasted into the back: '"Photo-House, Amrein-Graf, 27 Qual des Bergues, Geneva". All the way from there, down to lil' ol' New Zealand. But it's the overall quality that overwhelms me; I've never seen a better-finished camera, and I'm posting a few detail shots to emphasize it's charms.</p><div>00VTUR-208837584.jpg.396321e250473af372af26f58ea5462e.jpg</div>

<p>There's no doubt whatsoever that Zeiss Stuttgart did a wonderful job on finish. Even my cheap Contaflex Prima looks and feels so solid, so Westdeutschlich, so bürgerlich, like a contemporary Mercedes auto-- solid, fat, and sleek.<br /> Nice shots with the old gal. The telephoto is definitely something that should make your camera a bargain.</p>