stuck installing .icc printer files / Mac OS 1.6

<p>

<p>Hi<br>

I was wondering how to install new printer .icc files under Mac OS X 1.6.2<br>

I just downloaded some new icc files from epson (well, just means about 2 hours ago) and despite lots of querying can't figure out to install them so that they show up in the printer settings -> basic tab -> Media Type drop down menu. <br>

(I am trying to use them from lightroom, but doubt the application should matter, right?)<br>

Any help greatly appreciated. <br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Spencer</p>

</p>

<p>what specific profiles/files did you download?</p>

<p>in general, paper/media types are part of the printer driver package and installed as part of that. an ICC paper profile really only talks about color and would normally go in Library/ColorSync/Profiles. you would still have to select a media type in order to use the ICC profile and the profile probably came w/ a README file that says what you should use.</p>

<p>Where ICC Profiles Live on Your System <br>

Macintosh OS X. <br>

System->Library->ColorSync->Profiles</p>

<p>Or:</p>

<p>User->Library->ColorSync->Profiles<br>

Profiles placed here are available only to the current logged-in user. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>

<p>Hi again, </p>

<p>I attempted to grab the printer profile for:</p>

<p>Premium Canvas Satin</p>

<p>here:</p>

<p>http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/ICCProfilesAll.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes</p>

<p>I contains two icc files and two pdf files.</p>

<p>I tried putting them in the locations suggested above without success. </p>

<p>I happen to be at the apple store right now and the genius is telling me the files I downloaded are for monitor calibration not printing and that likely the epson site download is incorrect... I am a bit skeptical about that, but still at a loss. </p>

<p>Thanks again for the help.</p>

<p>Spencer</p>

<p> </p>

</p>

<p>They won't show up in the printer driver—the settings it's got is the settings it's got. (Though updating the printer driver may give you an option for Exhibition Fiber; but you don't need it, the instructions packaged with the paper tell you what to use otherwise for each paper.)</p>

<p>Where you use them is in Photoshop's print dialog, choosing them as the destination profile (or "Print Space"). Full instructions on color-managed printing are in your printer's user guide.</p>

<p>Depending on the version of Photoshop you're running, you may need to restart it for it to recognize new profiles. I believe CS4 will read the profiles list "live" while previous versions need to be quit and relaunched. CS2 and earlier definitely need to be restarted; CS3 may or may not (but it won't hurt).</p>

<p>Unless the store has a good Creative on staff, I doubt anyone at the Apple Store has half a clue what they're doing with color management beyond "profiles go here."</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Where ICC Profiles Live on Your System <br />Macintosh OS X. <br />System->Library->ColorSync->Profiles</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That should actually be Library->ColorSync->Profiles. The System folder shouldn't be touched as there's no assurance anything put there will continue to exist.</p>

<p>

<p>Hi again, </p>

<p>I attempted to grab the printer profile for:</p>

<p>Premium Canvas Satin</p>

<p>here:</p>

<p>http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/ICCProfilesAll.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes</p>

<p>I contains two icc files and two pdf files.</p>

<p>I tried putting them in the locations suggested above without success. </p>

<p>I happen to be at the apple store right now and the genius is telling me the files I downloaded are for monitor calibration not printing and that likely the epson site download is incorrect... I am a bit skeptical about that, but still at a loss. </p>

<p>Thanks again for the help.</p>

<p>Spencer</p>

<p> </p>

</p>

<p>OK, I think my last post crossed with the one directly above it because I don't think I saw it before posting my last one. It clears up a few things. I didn't realize the media-type is hard wired. I thought adding icc files would add to those choices. <br>

However, I am still a bit confused. I'd like to print from Lightroom using the Premium Canvas Satin media type since that the canvas I am going to use. I haven't opened the box yet, because I wanted to configure the computer first,but I'l give that a try.<br>

Thanks,spencer </p>

<p>Spencer,<br>

I think Howard M correctly hit upon using paper/media configurations in the Mac print driver that, in turn, would incorporate the ICC profiles you installed for canvas premium satin.</p>

<p>Part of the problem is that the Mac print driver has lousy usability. Part of it is that you are confusing ICC profiles with Mac paper/media settings. Easy to have happen. A significant issue is that the application does matter, and perhaps you don't have Lightroom setup correctly.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I recently sold my last Epson printer and tossed all the profiles and printer settings so I'm going to be a bit more general than I'd like here.</p>

<p>First, in Lightroom, make sure you don't have printer-based color management activated. That means that you have chosen a printer paper profile in the Color Management>Profile dialog box and not "Managed by Printer" at the top of the listings. If the canvas premium is not in the list, then choose "other" and check the appropriate box. If canvas premium is not in the list, you didn't install it correctly. See Andrew's and other's instructions above.</p>

<p>Then click the LR Print Settings button and configure the printer media right. Printer: choose your Epson model. Presets: this is where you are going to save an Epson+canvas premium configuration that will be there for you in the future. When everything is setup correctly, choose Save As and title the setting with something meaningful to you.</p>

<p>Now you have to go through the un-intuitive drop downs below that starting with Layout. There should be some kind of Paper Type/Quality drop down (each printer mfgr has a slightly different take on these, and sometime different printers from the same mfgr have different drop downs) that will enable you to select the Canvas Premium paper. If not, the Epson instructions will have you choose something with a different name. Sometimes you can create a custom paper menu item by using a mfgr printer utility tool to establish a custom profile. You then browse to that profile from within the print driver custom paper submenu item.</p>

<p>Anyway you should pick your Canvas Premium paper, and then go down the other drop downs to ensure everything is consistent with application-managed color. Prior to hitting the save (or print) button, go to the presets drop down and name this configuration you just created.</p>

<p>This should work for you, but maybe I've totally misunderstanding your problem here. If the latter please provide more details about printer type etc.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I think I am finally on top of this. My biggest mistake was not selecting computer-based color management. I had printer-based color management activated selected (and using epson Luster) was getting what I thought where pretty decent results. I think once I switch to computer-based color management (I hadn't realized that was more or less the standard for serious printing) I'll be OK. </p>

<p>Thanks again. </p>

<p>Lots of users confuse media settings (hard wired, control ink delivery etc) with profiles. </p>

<p>I’m not sure what you is meant by “computer based color management”. There are several possible print paths that can use ICC profiles (Application manages Color or Printer Manages Color) and those that have nothing to do with ICC output profiles (Epson Color Controls as an example). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>That should actually be Library->ColorSync->Profiles. The System folder shouldn't be touched as there's no assurance anything put there will continue to exist.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would agree, its probably not the best location for user profiles and I should have been more clear than saying “where profiles live” and instead “where profiles live and <strong>you should place </strong>said profiles”. </p>

<p>I personally only pop them into the User Library but I’m the only user on all my systems. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I think I am finally on top of this. My biggest mistake was not selecting computer-based color management. I had printer-based color management activated selected (and using epson Luster) was getting what I thought where pretty decent results. I think once I switch to computer-based color management (I hadn't realized that was more or less the standard for serious printing) I'll be OK. </p>

<p>Thanks again. </p>