Photographer not the best job...

<p>In recent survey on CareerCast.com, the job of photographer ranked #126, one step below waiter/waitress (#125) and 4 steps below a Vending Machine Repairer, with an estimated average salary of $29,265</p>

<p>Of course you have to question their methodology since "Philospher" comes in #11, with a salary of over $60,000 and a hiring outlook of "Very Good". Who knew there was such a demand for Philosphy? And who knew that Dental Hygenists (#10) made over $67,000 a year...</p>

<p>Photojournalists are even worse off than photographers at #189, and make even less money!</p>

<p>Those with philosophy undergrad degrees typically go on to advanced degrees, and land in high-paying careers, so that comes as no surprise. They are probably looking at people with degrees in photography, which would include hundreds of thousands of would-be artists who went to school for art and never could get work in the arts. Most working photographers do not have photography degrees. The very successful ones studied business, or are so talented that they were working independently long before college, and never had a need for higher education.</p>

<p>Interesting Bob. Didn't you let the philosophers in to the chemistry department? They are the ones walking around the universities in tweed jackets, open toed loafers and wool socks. I have to say, full-time philosopher, part-time photographer is darned appealing to me. </p>

<p>Cheers, JJ</p>

<p> That's in line with IRS figures for photographer earnings. I also have a feeling the bit about Philosophers is also right: I have three friends who have their doctorates in Philosophy. Two work as money managers, one made a fortune as a commercial realtor years ago.</p>

<p>When Ansel Adams was at his zenith, many more Americans knew who Gilligan was than Ansel.</p>

<p>Since the only job for philosophers is teaching philosophy, that figure sounds about right. So does the hygienist's compensation. The difference is that the latter actually works and performs a useful service, whereas the philosopher accomplishes very little, other than creating more confusion, and is always complaining about the inconvenience of teaching classes. As far as photographers go, the figure has to include the advertising guy who gets $35,000 a day as well as the fellow selling portraits on the boardwalk, so averaging it is meaningless.</p>

<p>My next door neighbor is a dental hygenist, and I just got off the phone with her. I asked her about the $67,000 number and she almost dropped the phone laughing. That guy is not even close. I don't know where this guy gets his numbers. Photography is a profession where you get out of it what you put into it. If you bust your hump and never stop selling yourself and have good word of mouth referrals you can do a good bit better than $29,000. That also depends on the size of the city in which you live as well.</p>

<p>An average is an average. Just because someone makes $35,000 a day doesn't mean much. Just ask any of the 10,000 musicians in NYC who scape a living while Michael Jackson (when alive) could make a million bucks on a concert.</p>

<p>Bottom line is that if you want to get rich (or at least not be poor), photography may not be a much better choice than music!</p>

<p>You can make money doing almost anything, but in some jobs it is much more unlikely than others.</p>

<p>There is a good reason that philosphers and psychologists make good money. A Bachelor's in either qualifies you to mop the floor at McDonald's. Of course, not a single kid going into either field gets told the cold hard truth about it, so all of them end up getting a PhD in order to make a living. Well, I take it back. A Masters' in Psychology will get you a decent gig as the HR Manager somewhere, which is less than the mechanic makes out on the floor of that same company.</p>

<p>A good friend of mine got a degree in journalism from Fordham. His education cost him more than he can ever hope to make in journalism. Likewise, some years ago my nephew told me he wanted to be a Marine Biologist. I asked him if he likes Ramen Noodles. For Thanksgiving dinner. He imagined a life of going 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in a two man submarine and didn't believe me when I told him he'd be counting sponges in a twenty gallon aquarium for minimum wage, if he was lucky enough to get hired at a university.</p>

<p>The problem with careers is nobody tells you in school that jobs that sound cool aren't. Nobody pays you for being smart. Smart grows on trees. At the end of the day it is about what you can produce, regardless of the discipline you find yourself in. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>An average is an average.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Numbers, statistics, averages etc can all be skewed by the one reporting for ANY self serving reason, be it grant proposal time, asking for more money from a senate sub committee or as simple as <em>"I was right; you were wrong"</em> chest beating.<br>

I always read these (surveys) for amusement purposes only as they are usually useless.</p>

<p>Does anyone think the guy selling hotdogs will tell you he earns 95K a year if you ask him? LOL</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I doubt they are looking at degrees if there is vending machine repairman and waiter/waitress on the list.<br>

For philosophy, they are probably looking strictly at those fields which likely include business ethics and teachers of philosophy. If you look at just those catagories most medium to large businesses have a business ethics department/coordinator on staff (by medium to large I mean like 500+ employees). Of course they don't necessarily listen to this person. Generally those people have philosophy or combo degrees with philosophy. As for teaching, well plenty of philosophy professors. Plenty of people with no aim in life major in philosophy and when they figure out that the only thing they can really do with a BA in philosophy is have deep thoughts about being unemployeed they go back to teach philosophy to like minded individuals after getting advanced philosophy degrees (get better at those deep thoughts).<br>

In case anyone was wondering, I just find it fun to lampoon philosophy majors, I don't really have anything against philosophy.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the only thing they can really do with a BA in philosophy is have deep thoughts about being unemployeed</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Stanford offers a joint program in philosophy and law that is very well-known. My son is planning to major in philosophy on his way to a law degree. It's a pretty common route. You may think it's funny but it's just rude and naive.</p>

<p>I've had two careers: Photography and computer programming.</p>

<p>Photography took me all over the world, paid for my pilot's license, got me shot at (twice) and arrested (thrice), and introduced me to a panoply of extraordinary people.</p>

<p>Programming paid MUCH better and offered some very compelling intellectual challenges. But it required innumerable hours of sitting in front of a computer.</p>

<p> I'm now returning to photography. Wise?</p>

<p>Jeff as I mentioned I like making fun of philosophy majors just like I make fun of lawyers. That doesn't actually mean I think they are lay-abouts or a worthless degree (I don't), the jokes are just too easy a lot of times. Philosophy has relatively limited utility except in a few select job fields, law is one of them as is business ethics. As with most liberal arts degrees there isn't much utility to the degree except saying I am college educated (w/ as I mentioned a few exceptions), though that could be said of a number of other 'specialized' degrees as well such as math (unless going in to the, also somewhat limited field, of mathmatics or going on to something else).<br>

Of the several philosophy majors (5 I can think of off the top of my head) I know every single one of them ended up changing to a double major in something else, or just got in to a totally unrelated career path such as computer programming. They are great for a conversation around a good steaming cup of tea though :D</p>