What is this Bogen tripod accessory?

asafrye

<p>I've acquired a Bogen model 3030/a tripod that I use with a 4x5 view camera. I also have this additional part that appears to be some sort of gadget that the camera may mount onto, but it's not obvious to me exactly how to use this thing. I see some sort of clamp (upper left in image). . .but what could this possibly clamp onto and hold tight enough to keep the camera secure and steady through camera movements and exposures? Anybody know?</p><div>00VQvH-207309584.jpg.fdf86bff83c4a23495aab70ea421426d.jpg</div>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>the thing on the left looks like a Manfrotto Super clamp, in the middle there is a part for a small flash and umbrella holder (you see the little hole for the umbrella). on this holder on the left you have a mount for a camera.</p>

<p>I would trust the super clamp, but I wouldn't mount the 4x5 on the flash/umbrella holder. you can dismount the whole thing, so you have 3 different large parts. In the umbrella holder there are 2 small connection pieces, you can also put out of the holder.</p>

<p>regards Richard</p>

<p>Thank you all! It makes so much sense now. It's not for use with the camera at all! Hah! I feel silly now but that's why I'm here to learn. I had no idea what this was. This was part of a bunch of photo equipment that I inherited from my late uncle. I can see now that he connected these all together probably to keep track of em. As Richard said, these are three separated parts. I'm laughing at myself now because I also have an umbrella that I've been trying to figure out how the heck he was able to mount to the lights!</p>