Simplest (half-way decent) P&S digicam?

<p>I'm looking for nominations for the simplest digicam that takes decent images. Let's say at least 3MP (real, not interpolated). Minimum number of buttons, minimum number of menu choices. Maybe a single focal length (not zoom), maybe even fixed focus. Minimum startup time and shutter lag (not difficult if no zoom and/or no AF?).</p>

<p>A box with a button, like an old Kodak Brownie. Literally a point and shoot, not a "turn on, wait for lens to extend, select mode, point, wait for AF to operate, push shutter, wait for exposure to be figured out, shoot".</p>

<p>I'm not talking about glorified 640x480 webcams that also shoot stills, or a camera-phone.</p>

<p>Are there any such beasts?</p>

<p>The sticking point will be, of course, how to define a "decent image."</p>

<p>I would vote for the ability to make a good (equally vague, I realize) 6x8 print. Because, honestly, a 4x6 print is too easy for too many devices.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bob, the closest to your description I've come across is a <a href="http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/samsung_miniket_photo_sdck50_camera_with_dmb.php">Samsung Miniket SDC-K50</a> which I bought at an unclaimed luggage sale for $20. It was only made for the Korean market but this model appears similar:<br>

<a href="http://www.samsung.com/he/products/camcorder/miniket/vp_ms15bl.asp">http://www.samsung.com/he/products/camcorder/miniket/vp_ms15bl.asp</a></p>

<p>It's literally point and shoot and foolproof but also has hidden menus for custom settings. What's nice about it is its photo quality and superb macro capability. I use it mainly for documentation purposes in electronics although it has a bunch of features such as MP3 player, video, TV etc. all in a package that'll fit in a shirt pocket. I've also found it to be perfect as a general carry-around camera.</p>

<p>Michael - that does sound interesting, but as far as I can tell they were never sold in the US, at least I can't find anything via Google. I guess I'll have to keep looking!<br>

I don't think I've seen a camera with a built in TV for sale here!</p>

<p>My first digicam was a Coolicam, only 480x320 pixels so fails your requirement, but sold me on digital and when a freind told me the results didn't do my skills justice [ a nice way of saying it was shooting crap :-) ] I moved up to a Canon s20 .. that was 3.3Mp but with a few extras which also disqualifies it.<br>

The Coolicam just had a trigger and built in storage, 20 shots at HQ :-) I organised a dioptre taped to the lens to help it take close-ups. Did a quite good 3"x2" print in the club magazine. First 'shoot' I was back home and writing up my 'story' within an hour :-) I was sold on digital from then.</p>

<p>Well, there is Ricoh GR III, they have only fixed focal length, and mainly designed for you to really just enjoy photography and not much gimmicky features or zoom this zoom that.</p>

<p>I am not sure if the reason behind your question is to have just a very basic camera (like almost 'disposable') or because you want something basic so that it sort of reminds you of using something like film range finder?<br /> But anyway, you might want to have a look at Ricoh III, maybe you'll like it (a bit expensive though than average point&shoot though).</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I think with today's tech, I think you're looking for an iPhone. I know, ironic. But if you have any decent cellphone camera, I think that would be a good bare minimum for most people. I've been practicing using my cellphone cam more lately, just to give me more appreciation for my SLR.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I'd rather have a Panasonic LX3/Canon S90. Oh well.</p>