Mamiya 645: Mirror stuck in up position

mark_macdonald

<p>I just bought a Mamiya 645 1000S with the waistlevel finder.<br /> <br /> While shooting my first roll, I found a problem that occurs about 1 in every 3 shots. Basically, after I press the shutter release, the mirror remains stuck in the "up" position. (I can't see anything through the finder, etc.) To get the mirror to go back down, I have to toggle the Mirror Lockup lever to "M.U." and then back again. Alternately I can wind the film advance lever, and fire the shutter again.<br /> <br /> It seems to happen more often in the cold, which made me suspect the battery. But I'm using a fresh 6V battery (4LR44), and I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol. The battery test LCD lights up just fine.<br /> <br /> I removed the finder, lens and film insert, so I could observe what happens when it jams. It <em>looks</em> like the shutter is opening & closing properly, and just the mirror is stuck. This encouraged me a bit, because it means that all those shots I took aren't ruined... But I won't know until I get them back from the lab.<br /> <br /> Any ideas? Is this grounds for returning the body to KEH? I can deal with jiggling the mirror lock-up lever if I have to, but I don't want to pay for repairs of a camera that I just bought. Thanks for reading! Mark</p>

<p>Thanks, Harry. I did read the "photographing at low temperatures" section in the manual, but I still experience this problem when shooting at room temperature. The manual also mentioned that the mirror will lock in the up position when there's no battery in the camera, and that pressing the battery check button all the way down will unlock it.<br>

In my case, when the mirror gets stuck up, the battery check button does nothing, which is confusing me more.</p>

<p>Hi Mark,<br>

This may be really simple. Sometimes the foam mirror buffer will degrade and become sticky enough to prevent the mirror from dropping. If you look at the focus screen through the lens mount you'll see foam at the sides and front of the screen surround. Because the sides of the mirror are tapered and therefore don't touch the foam much, the front (lower) edge of the mirror is most likely to stick. Often there's a gooey mark along the mirror's lower edge. Check that the light trap along the top edge of the mirror where it hinges next to the screen isn't displaced.<br>

Careful cleaning of the edges of the mirror will temporarily fix it if goo (technical term) is the cause - but foams should be replaced for a permanent cure.<br>

The edges of the mirror and the frame that carries it should show no signs of degraded foam and the foam itself should look clean and intact, otherwise it needs replacing.<br>

The geometry of the mirror mechanism is such that when the mirror is at the top of its travel the spring which lowers it is at it's least effective - less leverage - so it doesn't take very much to prevent it from starting its downward travel.<br>

While you're looking you could also check that the mirror frame isn't touching the screen frame or the sides or front of the mirror box. This is rare though. Don't force the mirror at any time or control levers will bend.<br>

Good luck.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>For the benefit of anyone finding this post later: David McNiven's comment was right on. The mirror was sticking to the goopy, crumbling foam that runs along the top inner edge of the chamber.<br>

I replaced the old foam using a pre-cut kit available on eBay, and haven't had this problem since.</p>