Rodinal & Jobo

jaime

<p>Has anyone used Rodinal with a Jobo expert drum to develop TMX or Tri-x 320 4x5 film?<br>

Were the results any good or does Rodinal not really work all that well with rotary processing?<br>

Finally, if someone's had good results, what are good starting times?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>There's a lot of talk about how to control excessive highlight development with Rodinal by employing substantially less agitation than what is considered "normal." I can tell you from experience that if you attempt to get full film speed from Rodinal with normal agitation, the slope of the resulting contrast curve will be higher than what you'd get from a more conventional developer like D-76. Shadow densities will also be depressed a bit, so you won't get full box speed anyway. For these reasons, I would not consider using Rodinal in a continuous agitation environment.</p>

<p>I've done it a few times when I'm pushing film and I'm too lazy to keep it agitating on and of for more than 15 minutes. I usually cut the time with 10% in regards to normal development with normal agitation (30 sec then 10 sec every minute) mostly done it with hp5 plus pushed to 1600 or 3200 @ 1+25 ou get 12 or 18 minutes so with 10% off you get 10.5 minutes and 16.5 minutes give or take a few seconds.<br>

Erwin</p>

<p>I have not tried Rodinal with TMX or Tri-X but have a large stash of Agfapan 100 in both 120 and 4x5 as well as Agfapan 25 in 120 format and have processed all of these in the JOBO for many years with no problems. Agfa's Technical Data sheet P-16-C recommends lower processing times for rotary processors than for tank/tray processing. EG for APX100 at 20C and 1+25 dilution they recommend 8 min in a tray/tank with intermittant agitation but only 7 min in a rotary processor. I have had excellent results with this.<br>

They do list processing times in tank/tray for non Agfa films but do not have equivalent times for rotary processors. They suggest for Tri-X to rate the film at EI 500 and process for 7 min in 1+25 and 14 min in 1+50 dilution. For TMX (old version) they suggest rating the film at EI 400 and processing for 6 min in 1+25 and 11 min in 1+50 dilution. I'd recommend that you reduce these times by 10 - 20% and run some tests in the JOBO.<br>

Ron Gratz</p>

<p>I wish I was near my logbook so you could have my times. Developed quite a bit of TMX and TXP320 inn Rodinal, and have worked out quite reasonable results. <br>

I did standardize on 1+50, and a little warmer than 20 degrees. More like 25 to keep the heater busy. <br>

I cn tall you that it works well in rotary, once you get your times and all that where you want. Rodinal was my standard developer in expert drums for quite some time.</p>

<p>Edward</p>