Manual focus lenses with f100 and f5

PatB

<p>Hello all,<br>

I am planning to use one or the other with Nikon's manual 50mm 1.2 ais. I have read a few opinions on the web that focusing a fast lens like that can be a challenge with AF cameras. Taking into consideration the factory fitted screen, which camera is easier to focus with manual lenses? Is there any difference at all? Does the focus confirmation work with the lens and is it accurate? As a side note, I have already rulled out a manual focus camera. <br>

Any comments greately appreciated.<br>

Regards,<br>

Pat</p>

<p>Patrick,</p>

<p>I do not know F100 and F5 but I am using 50/1.2 on D700 and is one of the top lenses for me. Usually I shoot indoor events and the aperture is fixed at f2. The DOF is very tiny for this lens/aperture and I mostly look for clarity in viewfinder. When I have time I look for green dot confirmation as well but what I see in the viewfinder in general is right and pictures come in focus a least 90%.</p>

<p>I've used the F100 with a lot of manual focus lenses (Nikon, Tamron and Leica) and manual focus confirmation seems to work fine with all of them. The screen, for me at least, is brighter and easier to use than most of the DSLRs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"The standard screen of the F100 comes with focus aid ..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>There are no focus aids on either <strong>screen</strong> offered for the F100 (the focus confirmation dot system is screen independent).</p>

<p>I occasionally use the 50/1.2 with my F100 (fitted with an E screen, but it has identical focusing properties to the standard 'B' screen). At close distances and at f/1.2, the zone of acceptable sharp focus is very narrow (just 4 in. at 6 ft). But if you have the eyepiece diopter adjusted to your eyesight you can achieve accurate focus on the matte surface of the screen if you take your time (focusing an f/1.2 lens is a slow process even using a screen with focusing aids). The focus confirmation dot is also quite accurate, but I would say it's not any more accurate than focusing by eye, as you can focus slightly to either side of ideal focus and still get a focus confirmation signal.</p>

<p>A split-image screen works best as others have indicated, but that's obviously not an option for the F100. Whatever you use, I would not expect 100% keepers with this lens, especially if you use it in situations where you don't have a lot of time to dial in the focus.</p>