Film boxes@developing times-where are thou?

drew_simons

<p>Has anyone else been disappointed with the gradual removal over time of developing times on the inside of film boxes? I am currently shooting some TRI-X and Neopan and wonder what were the companies thinking in eliminating this information.</p>

<p>It could be from consuming too much Belgian beer and inhaling stop bath odours, but can anyone actually remember when these disappeared? Are they on the inside of the TMAX lineup? What about Delta? I haven't shot Ilford HP5 for a few months so I can't remember what was inside their boxes. What about Neopan Acros and Efke films.</p>

<p>Do you think that this could be a further cost cutting method? Save on that precious ink. Or perhaps there are too many commercial developers available nowadays, so the space on the box is prohibitive. Perhaps a more informed member has some information on this.</p>

<p>Alternatively, perhaps the companies realize in the current age of internet technology that it is a safe bet that everyone who can afford film also has some access to the internet which can deliver these times instantly through pdf files and the like.</p>

<p>Thoughts - opinions...</p>

<p>Ilford, to give them their due, still put dev times on the inside of the box, but these days I need a magnifying glass to read the print! I'm guessing that it costs more to print on both sides of the card, so that may be why so few manufacturers do it. I suspect you're right when you say that those of us who still use film have access to the web or have notebooks several inches thick with all that sort of info in them.</p>

<p>Yeah, except for Ilford I think most film makers want consumers to go online to find developing times. This trend is not just limited to film. Some electronic products now come with instructions to download PDF or other document for full instructions. <br>

I still have some cold-stored Panatomic-X that has the orginal folded paper complete with developing and exposure recommendations.</p>

<p>The T-max developer I use has development times on it, and I check every time, just to be sure. (My memory isn't what it used to be. Also, my memory isn't what it used to be.) I *do* miss, though, those cute little "Sunny 16" guides that were printed on the film boxes, illustrating bright sunshine, partly cloudy, etc. :-) </p>

<p>I just checked a box of Fuji, and it has development instructions ["Develop in Fuji chemical..."] on the box flaps- so I second the idea that it's too expensive to print on the inside. Foma and efke still print on the inside, and sheet film still comes with paper or a card... but a lot of the film I buy comes in cans, not boxes... and with the amount of expired film that's out there [and in my fridge], I'm quite glad we have the <a href="http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php">Massive Development Chart</a>, especially the "expired" portion.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input everyone. It was interesting to hear your views on this.</p>

<p>One may only wonder what the future has installed for film users. Perhaps everyone company that produces film will be bought out by a large multinational company of unknown origin that mass produces every brand of film in the same generic yellow box. Then, it is up to the consumer to do a clip test in D76 to determine what film they were lucky enough to purchase and process from there. You could ultimately be stuck with a slow Efke film whilst secretly hoping for TMAX3200 for a night shoot you had organised .</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>For those of you with iPhones, the MDC is available in application form from the iTunes store. I use it exclusively now as it has a built-in stop watch which offers count-down timers for development, stop, fix, wash, etc and is somewhat customizable (for agitation intervals, etc). Bummer is that I haven't found a way to adjust for the temp of the chemicals.</p>