defending response to photo estimate

ginny_e

<p>I certainly understand your desire to edit your own images and the ability to bill for the service but you have to think more like a business owner. If the potential client balked at your initial estimate, you must think about their best interest since they are paying the bill. I would make sure that the files are as close to the white balance and tonal curve that you intend and confirm with them that the person editing them has sufficient experience. Discus with them that they will most likely save money by having you edit the images and their person will most likely perform minimum adjustments before going to press. If the client is firm in their position you will need to decide if the shooting fee is acceptable and simply shoot the job and let it go or walk away. As David said, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.</p>

<p>Ginny,<br>

It boils down to whether you want the job or want to stand on principle. If you want the job, then you're going to have to make concessions, but if you structure this properly, so will you. If you want this job, you probably want the rest, so get them to commit to it. Otherwise they're playing you with a promise that may have no substance at all.<br>

Think about the big picture.........-Aimee</p>

<p>"If you don’t think you can afford to do anything they would consider worthwhile for that price, politely refuse (and ideally refer them to somebody who you think might be suitable)."<br>

Wrong move. </p>

<p>If you should send them to a photographer laking the skills or willing to do no/little PP at a much lower price. Tell them you get what you pay for. If you need to meet the budget # with the terms and conditions you are looking for you need to go to a plop and pop house. You'll get the images but need to reshoot many. Why do auto garrages buy quality tools? They can't afford to have junk. Can they?</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>As others are noting, it'll come down to how badly you want the work. I've done work for free (not photography, but graphics/3D/design) to get the foot in the door. So far, it has always paid off ten fold.<br>

If you don't want the work, someone else will, particularly in this economy.</p>

<p>I'd just do the work, hand over the images and call it a day. You get paid and have a happy client. If you dont' need the work, then don't take it (guessing you want it, or you wouldn't be worried about them wanting to bring the price down).</p>

<p> </p>